Ffestiniog Flying bench help

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Ffestiniog Flying bench help

Post by Colinjamesporter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an IP engineering Ffestiniog flying bench that i have built and painted. I would like to build the canopy and covers as the real one has been restored but I can find any drawings. I tried emailing the Ffestiniog but got no reply so thought i would try here as i have seen models with the canopy at shows.
Thanks for the help.
Best wishes
Colin

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

Hello!

I've just checked the 7mm Association drawings book (which happens to live on my desk at work...) but they don't show the canopy.

Since your model is to be a conversion of the IP kit though, which was deliberately overscale to suit generic RH and Accucraft locos, a drawing might not be much use. There are some reasonable photos here http://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/The_Flying_Bench and no voubt others out there too - I think if it were me I'd start experimenting with a wire frame until I'd got something that looked about right and take it from there. The canopy itself is going to be a challenge!

Good luck with your model,

Andrew.

Colinjamesporter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Colinjamesporter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the advice Andrew. I will have a play.
Best wishes
Colin

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Knowing Boston Lodge carriage works it is more then likely that there aren't any drawings and that it was something of a case of making it up as they went along, something which it must be said they do very well!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:42 am

Aah - the benches and the porthole bugboxes.

The canopy and leatherapron were almost certainly provided by Brown, Marshall from their upholstery department.

Important points to remember:
  • the canopy is ^ shaped, not curved, it was also slightly higher in the roofline (about an 1") than the contemporary Birminghams.
  • the ends of the canopy are asymmetric - the 'solid' end was always at the the uphill end - of course they may have been turned on the triangle at Boston Lodge, but no pictures survive of them.
  • the short canopy end has a tensioning device, probably adapted from a brace and bit. This was used to pull the apron up and down.
  • don't forget the belt buckles!
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington