G&DR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: G&DR Rolling Stock

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Brake gear - I've been down the route of 'manufacturing' my own representative brake gear - but only once :shock: . Now I know Cambrian do the detail parts I shall consider getting more of my stock braked up. Looking really good - keep us updated :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am

Thank you everyone.

Ah the brake gear, well, pfft where do I start. A lot of effort and anything but the gentlest of handling will cause all your hard work to fall apart. I'm hoping it's going to be worth it in the end. As a result I am considering to invest in a 3d printing machine as the overall effect is alright but I'm hoping it just blends into the wagon rather than stands out as I'm still not 100% convinced. The amount of wagons I've got to build or improve on is making me weight up the costs and effort of building my own. The Cambrian stuff is brilliant but for what I was doing I may need to reconsider how to build it.

anyway, I had a house to myself few a few day so I managed to crack on with a bit of modelling, the van's have been given their initial livery. All Tamiya SPRAY paints, the meat van was Dull red, the Refrigerated van was a white of some description (I'll check that out later), the fruit van was Red Brown and the two standard van were NATO brown. Each colour conveys the wagon's specific duty.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:48 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am Each colour conveys the wagon's specific duty.
All different, but I love the way they harmonise, they'll look great in a train - well chosen!

I'll try to take a photo of my simplified brake gear later in case it's of interest - nothing like as detailed as Cambrian, but it gives the impression that something's going on down there, which is good enough for me...

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:12 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am As a result I am considering to invest in a 3d printing machine as the overall effect is alright but I'm hoping it just blends into the wagon rather than stands out as I'm still not 100% convinced. The amount of wagons I've got to build or improve on is making me weight up the costs and effort of building my own.
If you look at page 40 of Andrew's (WH)WHR Rolling Stock thread, you'll see the 3d printed brake gear I did for his tipper wagons. There is a picture showing the complete kit including the brake components and then lower down is a side picture of the wagon with it assembled.
It isn't intended to be to scale or any specific prototype but it does add the necessary cluttered underframe impression and is (hopefully) chunky enough to withstand normal operations.

May give you some idea on whether it is worth going down the 3d printing route for you.
Philip

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:20 am

Andrew wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:48 am
Sylvian Tennant wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am Each colour conveys the wagon's specific duty.
All different, but I love the way they harmonise, they'll look great in a train - well chosen!

I'll try to take a photo of my simplified brake gear later in case it's of interest - nothing like as detailed as Cambrian, but it gives the impression that something's going on down there, which is good enough for me...

Andrew.
That would be brilliant we you can find the time. Thank you.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:22 am

philipy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:12 am
Sylvian Tennant wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am As a result I am considering to invest in a 3d printing machine as the overall effect is alright but I'm hoping it just blends into the wagon rather than stands out as I'm still not 100% convinced. The amount of wagons I've got to build or improve on is making me weight up the costs and effort of building my own.
If you look at page 40 of Andrew's (WH)WHR Rolling Stock thread, you'll see the 3d printed brake gear I did for his tipper wagons. There is a picture showing the complete kit including the brake components and then lower down is a side picture of the wagon with it assembled.
It isn't intended to be to scale or any specific prototype but it does add the necessary cluttered underframe impression and is (hopefully) chunky enough to withstand normal operations.

May give you some idea on whether it is worth going down the 3d printing route for you.
Fantastic, thank you. It's something I've been considering for a while now after seeing the things people have made.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Here we go!
brake gear.jpg
brake gear.jpg (88.04 KiB) Viewed 4731 times
It's pretty simple. I add the wheels first, then make a template out of cardboard, starting with drawing round the wheels. That template, subsequently transferred to 1mm or thereabouts plasticard, features curvy bits representing the brake shoes, the V hanger and a long bit that joins them together that will be hidden by the solebar. The push rods are added from scrap bits of plastic rod, and the swivel-y bit that joins those to the V hanger is another scrap of plasticard. That's pretty much it. Some of the WHR and FR wagons I've ben modelling only have one brake shoe, or are only braked on one side - I thought this brake van ought to have four shoes!

Because it's a brake van there's no external brake lever on this one. For those I drill the apex of the V hangers so a rod can go through, extending outwards (on one side only on the wagons I model), then the lever is added, also cut from plasticard, attached the rod at one end and the wagon body on the other.

Depending on how it all goes together, the completed assembly can either be glued to the solebar or to a scrap of wood. It's a representation rather than being 100% accurate, but good enough for me, particularly once weathered (this one's not been yet).

Hope that's helpful,

Andrew.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:52 pm

I really like that, a far more practical effort that mine.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Very clever and effective!! You are indeed a man after my own heart - I also tend to over engineer stuff I create for 3D printing.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:29 pm

I'm terrible for over engineering then after I've finished realised there was a far more simpler or effective way of doing the same thing.

So some further update on the wagon. I thought distance shots would be better as my sign writing leaves a lot to be desired.

First of all, these are going to be vacuum braked wagons. I've decided that my coal wagons are going to be unfitted so that freed up a few spares for me to use but the original castings were very crude. They had been prepared and modified originally but that was using just plastic tubing, glue and hope and they did alright but never looked that good and eventually the glue failed. So out with the UHU and plastic and in with the soldering iron, brass and copper. They have since been painted up and I'll come to them in my next post.

The van bodies themselves have all had their entering added via a cheap set of gel pens from The Works (I've recently found some Airfix kits there too which may be taking swipe at my wallet) and tbh they were alright. The biggest issue was really the white refrigerator wagon which is not as pristine as I had hoped. The black pen failed which required a change of nib and even after 7 days of being left alone still was a bit tacky which caused some amending with paints and pens but they're done now. They were sealed with some Yacht varnish from a local home wear store. That done a pretty decent job as the finish hasn't tinted the livery unlike the Ronseal stuff I used before.

The fruit van has the rectular black boxes to give depth once the vents are put in place.

The meat van, I opted for yellow writing but the gel pens yellow didn't allow a decent finish so after some experimenting I found that using the light orange in the pack then going over in the darker yellow I had a close enough match to something I wanted.

After the varnish had dried I then added all the fiddly details to the bodies. The distance shot doesn't show these too well but my next post should show the finished article.

One quest I would like to ask is what would everyone consider to be a generic weight for their wagons. My issue is I'm using R1 curves due to space but struggle if the heavier stock is at the rear of the train. This was evident with the tanker wagons after I filled them with water and the if the wagon the leaked the fastest was on the front would cause a catastrophic derailment and usually leave me grumpy as it was usually the most difficult place to retrieve them. I'm thinking of adding some sand to them before I roofs.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:52 am

Those wagons are very nice indeed and are just so brilliantly modelled.

The weights, I personally would use lead flashing under the chassis. You need to get as much weight over the wheels has possible. The lower down it is the better really. Putting weight at the top tends to allow the wagon to succumb to nature, gravity....

Give it a try and just see how much you need.

You can buy the flashings cheap enough from Houston Gate Locomotive Works. I have cut some off and hammered it flatter, it's surprising how far it goes...

https://www.hglw.co.uk/misc_accessories.html

8AAA3A7A-74A4-49BE-8BA4-9EDA0217735A.png
8AAA3A7A-74A4-49BE-8BA4-9EDA0217735A.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4520 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:14 am

FWLR wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:52 am

You can buy the flashings cheap enough from Houston Gate Locomotive Works.
Rod is right about using lead flashing, but take alook on fleabay. I got an odd piece that somebody local was selling off after a roofing job. It was about 750 x1500 and cost me a tenner and will more than outlast me!
Philip

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:18 am

Score, someone was doing to roof work recently around our ends no lead was found. I'll check HGLW and Fleabay I've been meaning to buy from them for a while now and I'm going to do a bit of a shop when I get paid on Thursday.

The main issue is the meat wagon which is one of the newer plywood models which is incredibly light. The original planked van I had was also ply but somehow is a little heavier. The others are when IP Engineering where going through an MDF phase - they do feel weighty but the actual material - well, I'll leave that for my next post.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Having made kits produced in both ply and MDF I think I prefer the MDF variety. I am always concerned about the wood-grain being too overscale and often in the wrong direction. It can be disguised but requires more effort.
Lead flashing is certainly the easiest material to use as it is flat, thin and can be installed low down underneath the floors, just as Rod described. I always make sure it is flat by placing it between vice jaws, this also ensures maximum surface area for adhesive.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:37 am

In order to avoid excessive load on the axle bearings I wrap the lead round the axles.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 am

Scrat wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:37 am In order to avoid excessive load on the axle bearings I wrap the lead round the axles.
Neat idea, thanks.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube