Other
25%

Total votes: 12

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Running boards

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm trying to decide how to finish the running boards on my new brakevan...based on photographic evidence, it seems that some railways leave them unpainted, others leave them matt blacl. Which do people think looks best? Or can anyone suggest any alternatives?

peterbunce
Cleaner
Cleaner

re stepboards on Guards vans

Post by peterbunce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi,

Looking through my Midland Wagons book most of the stepboards seem to be a lightish colour. this I would take as being a earth colour, on top of the unpainted boards.

I now model 1880's Colorado and there the walkway on top of the boxcars was unpainted wood as painted wood could in certain conditions be slippery, especially when wet.

The same I think would apply here in the UK, the roughness of the boards providing a better grip.

Yours Peter.
Yours, Peter Bunce

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:39 pm

I personally go with matt black which seems to replicate Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland practice
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 pm

I suppose it depends what livery the body's going to be, although I'd go for matt black.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Running boards

Post by GTB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:39 am

MuzTrem:80372 wrote:I'm trying to decide how to finish the running boards on my new brakevan...based on photographic evidence, it seems that some railways leave them unpainted, others leave them matt blacl. Which do people think looks best? Or can anyone suggest any alternatives?
Here in OZ the VR left footboards and shunters steps unpainted on the top surface for safety reasons. The supports, toe stop, sides and underneath the footboard were painted underframe colour. Over time the wood weathered to the usual silvery grey.

I use stripwood on a brass frame for steps, so when painting the van I just mask the top. When the rest of the paint is dry, I just dry brush it with a matt mid-grey paint. If you make the steps out of metal or plastic, you'd need to paint the top surface a suitable wood colour, then dry brush it with grey to simulate the grain of weathered wood.

Somewhere I've also seen wooden footboards with a metal insert along the front with a diamond tread pattern to reduce wear and presumably also the risk of a slip.

Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 am

Hello!

Personally I paint them matt black over a grey primer and then attack them with fine sandpaper - just a little, to represent some normal wear and tear, or harder, so that the bare wood shows through in places to represent heavier use or a longer period since overhaul/repaint. I like the way it suggests the carriage/brake van sees real use - it works particularly well on carriages with continuous running boards where you can attach the bits below the doors and leave the rest almost unscathed...

Cheers,

Andrew.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 pm

I tend to stain mine (I usually use dark oak), then add weathering where they'd normally be stepped on - by the balcony, where the doors are.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:16 pm

I have always tended to paint them matt black. The anti-slip element was often supplied by a cast iron edge to the footboard, though I have occasionally run across black paint with coarse sand thrown on it or mixed with it to provided a better grip. OTOH, if I was building US stock with roof walks I would leave those unpainted.

On carriages that have not seen the paint shop for a while a moderate application of sandpaper under the 1st class doors, and a heavy one under the 3rd class doors is always good.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have decided to go for matt black with "weathering" in the right places. Accordingly, I have painted the board and tried rubbing then down with fine sandpaper under the doors. I am not entirely happy with the result so may have another go with a needle file when I have time.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 pm

You might find it easier to "dry brush" a little earth colour on, or even (shock, horror!) use weathering powder!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html