(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 am

Hello again,

Glad you like the slate trucks laalratty.

I've almost finished "Number 14", my Ffestified IP coach. The interior's complete now, just the roof to go, should be finished soon...

Here's the latest progress...

The figures used to be Star Trek and Captain Scarlet figures, not perfect 20s passengers (that's a very 70s haircut that young woman's sporting!) but since the carriage's whole complement of 4 people cost less tan one commercial 16mm figure I'm not complaining - and you can't see much through a compartment window anyway...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:33 am

While the (WH)WHR's Permanent Way team were testing the latest extension yesterday the Carriage and Wagon staff were putting the finishing touches to Carriage 14. Or, more accurately, while I was in the garden playing trains, the new carriage was wrapped in a pair of tights I'd pinched from my daughter, an attempt to clamp the roof in place while the glue dried... Once I'd unwrapped it again it looked like this:

As mentioned further up the thread, this IP kit has had various modifications to enable it to stand in for the familiar FfR bogie composites in my Ffestiniog rake. "Number 14" was actually a 4-wheeler, but in my alternate history it was built before numbers 15-20 as a prototype. One day, when I'm fabulously wealthy and have a huge garden to match my spectacular bank balance, I'll build a "proper" model (or six), but for now this will do. I think it gives the right sort of impression, particularly from this angle:

Must dig out the lamp-tops that are lost in the depths of my "train cupboard" to finish the job properly...

Cheers all,

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew on Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:15 am

Excellent job....they look wonderful together.

Nice colour scheme too!

I need more passenger stock so I'm more than envious now.

Peter L
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Peter L » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Looking very sharp 8)

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm

I like it alot :D :D Very interesting comparing two different directions comming out from the same IP-coach (I´m meaning my own atempt in another thread: Making changes to an IP coach)
Regards Michael

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Excellent work Andrew, that's a lovely rake you have coming together there! Keep up the good work! :lol:
Cheers Tom

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:40 pm

You've done an excellent job on that coach, and the whole rake looks very nice indeed. Would look superb with an England loco on the front...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:51 pm

laalratty:91926 wrote:You've done an excellent job on that coach, and the whole rake looks very nice indeed. Would look superb with an England loco on the front...
Ah, if only... Actually, I'm kind of hoping that Roundhouse or whoever DON'T produce an England 'cos I'd probably end up selling some vital organs or something to pay for it.

Thanks for the kind comments chaps, very much appreciated.

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Look at these little beauties!

I was concerned about how I would make decent seats for the Gladstone Car's balconies. The ones in the original IMP kit weren't up to much and I didn't fancy cutting out 22 curved seat ends by hand. WVLR of this forum came to the rescue, laser cutting these beautiful parts to my design at a very reasonable cost - many thanks Mike, they're fantastic! I'll assemble these seat frames over the coming days and then prime and paint them before adding varnished slats.

Cheers,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Very nice, for my Gladstone Car I bashed up my own frames from square wood section, but those look much better. You will still have a bit of masochistical modelling with the slats though I expect!
"What the hell is that?"

Steamcoaster
Cleaner
Cleaner

Gladstone Car

Post by Steamcoaster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:19 am

I'm plodding on with the IP seats...

Cutting out the seat ends was a chore as they did not want to pop out of the fret. A step too far for last cut ply methinks.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:24 am

Hello!

I've finished the seats now and am very pleased with the results - might try to sort some photos at the weekend. Just figures, doorknobs to the covered saloon section and a roof to go now.

Mine's based on an old IMP kit I puchased for £25 (still great value even if I have replaced half the parts with scratchbuilt ones, the price on the lid is £75), and the seats were going to be fiddly to construct and then not look a great deal like the real thing. I did ask Ivan if he could supply the IP seats but apparently the whole carriage kit is cut from a single sheet so I'd have had to buy the whole body - and that's when WVLR came to the rescue with the laser cut ends, just what I needed.

I plan to build the other NWNGR/WHR "corridor" coach at some point, the one that wasn't turned into a buffet, and that's got loads of curvy seats, the ends of which are another job for some contracted out laser cutting I reckon...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Hello again,

As promised, here's a photo of the seats in situ and awaiting pasengers. I had a look at some photos yesterday and saw that I should've had proper gaps between the seat slats, but nevermind...

And here are the passengers, freshly hacked up this morning. My children looked on in horror as I set about a collection of plastic toys with a Dremel fitted with a cutting disk...

One needed reducing in height (a kind of extreme tummy tuck), a couple needed knee ops (the poor things' legs wouldn't bend) and Carrie Fisher required a lower leg transplant. Several had grenades and other weaponry removed - that sort of thing just won't do in a first class carriage...

They've now been glued back together and will be patched up with Miliput later. The chap in the upper right of the picture will gain big sideburns and some suitable clothing to become Gladstone himself...

Cheers,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Those seats look fantastic, much better then the ones I made
"What the hell is that?"

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Post by WVLR » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:50 pm

The seats look fine as they are Andrew, the gap between the slats on the real thing is only about 1/4 inch.

Hope the kids aren't mentally scarred after the massacre  :D and they weren't their figures in the first place.
Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 pm

The Gladstone Car's not quite finished (awaiting a dry day when I'm not at work for spray priming the figures and roof) but I've made a start on the next carriage project:

These will be the sides of a pair of WHR summer cars, one "open", with no glazing, and a partially-glazed "semi-open". I'm adding the matchboarding with strips of walnut which I've not used before but which seems like lovely stuff so far. Assuming I progress at my usual rate it will be next summer at the earliest before they actually enter service!

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:21 pm

"I love you"
"I know"

Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher revisit their Star Wars romance in the balcony of my Gladstone Car model, even if the wardrobe department have got their films in a muddle and  given Mr Ford his Indiana Jones costume...

Meanwhile in the saloon, William Gladstone is wondering how come he's trundling about in "his" carriage decades after his death. No wonder he looks a bit pale...

With the figures in place I've just got the roof to go and then my Gladstone Car should be finished - If the weather's good enough to get it out in the garden I'll try to post pictures this weekend.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:16 pm

Finally got the Gladstone Car finished off last week, and a brief spell of sunshine this morning enabled me to get some photos - so here it is:

Not quite as accurate as I'd like but its vermilion paintwork makes a nice change from Colonel Stephens Kentish Green, and it gives me a three coach Welsh Highland rake for the first time:

I think these will be the carriages that make up my official opening train, if I ever get enough time and decent weather to finish the railway! In the meantime there are one or two little jobs needed to bring this rake up to scratch - some minor repairs, adding "Buffet Car" signs, and turning the roof round on the brake - judging by the lamp tops it currently has a very well lit luggage compartment...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Excellent work Andrew! The Gladstone Coach looks great, and fits into the rake really well :D
Cheers Tom

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Lovely coaches. I am intrigured by the seat material in Mr Gladstone's
compartment. What is it please?