(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:14 pm

JMORG wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:19 pm Looking great Andrew.
I promise to do a historic NWNGR/WHR photoshoot tomorrow for everyone on this forum!
What red are you using for the waggons? I'm using the light grey for some WHR wagons but I want to do some in the red as a difference.
Looking forward to the pics!

I'm not at home at the moment, will check paint colours when i am. I'm going to change the red I use for WHR wagons though - I'm using the same stuff but it seems the formula's changed. It used to be a rich wine coloured red, but now it's much brighter, as seen in the photos. That's fine for one or two wagons, I don't suppose there was much consistency on the real thing, but I'd like the overall impression to be of wagon in the deeper shade... That said, I thought I'd do the next wagon (likely to be another open) in grey for variety. Then a brake van, which seem to have been red with grey ends, most unusual...

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:42 pm

My railway's been in such a mess for the last few years that all passenger services have been suspended. With long overdue track work finally bringing it back up to scratch, my thoughts are turning to passenger carriages again.

My WHR Summer Car left the works a couple of years, but was almost immediately withdrawn from traffic because it couldn't survive a trip up the line without being dragged over sideways by the "bowstring effect" on the sharper curves. This weekend I've set about trying to cure that, starting with moving the bogies further towards the end of the vehicle to reduce the swing on the couplings. Then I added some weight underneath in the form of this 6" long, err, thing:

Summer Car 2.jpg
Summer Car 2.jpg (156.14 KiB) Viewed 5831 times

I don't know what it was attached to, where I found it, or who "Woods" were, but the carriage was made in Bristol (my version that is, not the Mancunian original), so it seemed appropriate.

Here it is on test an hour or two ago:

Summer Car 1.jpg
Summer Car 1.jpg (382.5 KiB) Viewed 5831 times

I added some wagons to the back of the carriage and trundled it round a couple of curves, and it's looking good so far, no bowstring, although a full rake of carriages at a slightly higher speed might be a stiffer test. It still needs its couplings lowering, they're a little on the high side, but that's probably going to mess up the ends of the carriage, so if I can I'll enjoy running it for a while before undertaking that work.

Testing revealed a further problem with derailment, most unusual for my stock with Big Big Train running gear, such as this one. The cause turned out to be a non-standard wheelset which had been switched for one of the originals before I acquired the donor (BR Mk2) carriage. That's been cured for now by swapping it with one from the Gladstone Car, but I'll need to get hold of another. Fortunately, they crop up fairly frequently on eBay, even if they are horribly over-priced.

That's all for now. Still too hot in the garden, so I might crack on with some strapping for my WHR wagons...

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:30 pm

My 23 has the opposite problem; tips over everything in front of it (annoyingly including the Toastrack).

As promised, pictures of some of the freight wagons:
IMG_20190629_200750_resize_43~2.jpg
IMG_20190629_200750_resize_43~2.jpg (287.34 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
IMG_20190629_200742_resize_48~2.jpg
IMG_20190629_200742_resize_48~2.jpg (183.02 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
Yes Beddgelert has arrived! The overhang is incredible, no bogie carriages can be run immediately behind this locomotive!
Not seen on this forum before are the two NWNGR coal wagons; modified IP (front) followed by the first Jurassic. Another is currently unmade, will likely be finished as a NWNGR wagon.
The Hearse is a standard Timpton with IP buffers.
IMG_20190629_202126_resize_70~2.jpg
IMG_20190629_202126_resize_70~2.jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
One of two bolsters, as seen at Dinas. Modified Lineside Hut.
IMG_20190629_202147_resize_63~2.jpg
IMG_20190629_202147_resize_63~2.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
Jurassic NWNGR brake van. This one became the unumbered WHR van and differed to number 2 in lots of details.
Lots of slate and flat wagons (The Lineside Hut) to be started.
Also for modern WHR:
IMG_20190629_202225_resize_35~2.jpg
IMG_20190629_202225_resize_35~2.jpg (164.93 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
K1 will compliment the 138 and the rest of the LVLR Garratt's nicely.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:38 am

Thats a great photo Andrew, it does blend in with the scenery. I have a coach that does the exact same thing, it does not like curves one bit..

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Weatherinng attempts...
IMG_20190630_125455_compress42~2.jpg
IMG_20190630_125455_compress42~2.jpg (438.15 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
IP wagon. Modified by removing a plank from the top...
IMG_20190630_125753_compress16~2.jpg
IMG_20190630_125753_compress16~2.jpg (422.55 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
Jurassic. This one has been recently overhauled hence the cleaner body.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:42 pm

The wheel rims painted black would finish it off nicely.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Lovely looking wagons, nicely weathered. The brake gear looks good too. Does that actuating arm make contact with the rail? If so, it's very nifty - double-acting :)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:44 am

Nice wagons! I particularly like the brake van, I must crack on with building one of those. Good idea for the timber bolsters too...

"Beddgelert"'s a beauty. Shame about the overhang thing though, which must be a pain - you need some NWNGR 4 wheelers to run directly behind her. I might cut some more parts for some at some point, I'll let you know if I do...

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Fantastic thank you Andrew!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Hello!

A little more progress on the latest WHR wagons this weekend, with the strapping I made a month or so ago painted and glued on:

Wagons with strapping.jpg
Wagons with strapping.jpg (351.75 KiB) Viewed 5192 times

Nearly there with these two - brake gear and a couple of other details to add, then some weathering so that the ironwork doesn't contrast quite so much with the faded and peeling woodwork...

I think I'll do another small open next - I'm pleased with how this one's looking and have created an extra batch of ironwork so it shouldn't take too long.

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:24 am

Very nice them wagons Andrew.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Thats my next build a couple of open wagons and maybe some flats....

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:47 pm

Afternoon all,

The two current wagon projects, the WHR van and open, have almost reached the finish line this week. Having received final details, including brake gear, they've now been weathered too, apart from a few rust streaks and patches here and there. I don't seem to have the right colours of paint for that at the moment, but they've entered service anyway - the rust will catch up with them at some point. Here they are posing in the garden earlier today:

Van and open 1.jpg
Van and open 1.jpg (382.31 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
Van and open 2.jpg
Van and open 2.jpg (358.03 KiB) Viewed 4804 times

The open's a rather nice size, fitting nicely between a two-ton slate wagon and the larger WHR vehicles.

The brake handle on the van's made up. Until recently it was thought that there were only doors on one side of these vans, but analysis of photos now suggests otherwise, so I've adapted the brake gear to fit...

I'm not at work today and had planned to run a goods train with the new wagons this afternoon, but the weather's not really obliging, so I started work on the next open instead, cutting out all the various planks and other parts:

New open.jpg
New open.jpg (293.97 KiB) Viewed 4804 times

I like the effect of individual planks, but it is tempting to glue together 5 bits of ply and be done with it! I've painted the parts that will form the interior with the usual vinegar and wire wool solution and am currently waiting for them to dry.

The weather's looking up little now, so I might just get outside later - everything's looking awfully wet out there though...

Cheers,

Andrew.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:13 am

Hi Andrew,
Andrew wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:47 pm I like the effect of individual planks,
Individual planks do look good, but you could try putting a piece of thin card under the end of a few planks so they sit at a different level, or even between the edge of one or two to accentuate the gap. The van and open certainly look good to me, I always think that as far as weathering goes "Less is often Best".
Grant.
PS hope the weather does allow you to get a run.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:52 am

Great looking wagons. At least you (and we) will know the planks are individual!

My lawn is like a sponge to walk on. I can only remember one occasion previously when it's been as wet for so long.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:06 am

Andrew, I love them. Just such brilliant builds. The corrugated roof on the van is perfect. Is it metal .... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Where do you source your ironwork from please.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:38 am

Individual planks are the way to go.

The laser cut kits don't look realistic with their perfect precision planking.

The weathering looks just right Andrew, great work.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 am

Glad you like the wagons chaps, thanks.

Good ideas re the planks Grant, I may try that next time, thank you. Attacking the paintwork with sandpaper to create a worn/faded/peeling look does highlight the different planks to an extent, but I don't want everything to look quite that knackered! With the open I'm currently working on I chamfered the edges of the planks a little more than I did last time, which may also accentuate the planks.

Rod, the corrugated roof on this one's plastic, from Bole Laser Craft - I think I used it after you'd found success with it on your garage build. I heated it a little to help it take the curve - I quite like the way it distorted a bit so that the edge isn't quite straight. These vans were essentially coal trucks with modified doors, and the addition of an extra plank and a roof, so should look a bit rough and ready! The strapping is home-made on these wagons - I had to do that so that it would look like the original. It's mostly knocked up from plastic strip and angle from the model shop, with nail art gems for rivets. I should make strapping for the inside of the wagons too really, but I don't have the patience. I was pleased with the van's iron hoops (for tying back the doors?) which are from slices of biro barrel, with a little piece of the pen's inner ink tube as the fastening.

The second open's coming together relatively quickly (well, for me!), with the body constructed and the glue currently drying on the (Swift 16) couplings. I made two lots of the strapping and brake gear when I built the first wagon, which will speed things up too, although I still have to add the nail gems. There's no real hurry, but it will be nice to have a complete WHR goods train...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks Andrew for the information. I forgot all about the corrugated from Bole Laser Craft. You did a brilliant job on getting it bowed. It really does look realistic... :thumbright:

Those nail art gems are a brilliant buy aren't they. I did buy some Cambrian ones when I first started to do any building of those nice little kits from IP engineering. But they are really difficult to pick up. :crybaby: :lol: :lol:

The nail art can also be fun... :roll: :roll:

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:33 pm

I do like the red you use Andrew. I saw Bachmann painted one of their 009 WD wagons in "WHR red". Is there any references on the WHR liveries? I would like to use red for the Swift Sixteen D wagon but ideally would like a reference to this livery actually existing.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:32 pm

JMORG wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:33 pm I do like the red you use Andrew. I saw Bachmann painted one of their 009 WD wagons in "WHR red". Is there any references on the WHR liveries? I would like to use red for the Swift Sixteen D wagon but ideally would like a reference to this livery actually existing.
Hello! Boyd says that "repainting was done in lake (brick-red of the Festiniog fashion) with black ironwork and lettering which was done by stencils 'W H R' with the number below. There was no standard method of lettering etc" - it's in a section where he's talking about the vans, but I think he's referring to all the goods stock. "Lake" suggests a darker maroon than FR red, and I think I will distinguish between the too when I paint some FR wagons...

I painted my D wagons in a dark grey, which I thought (possibly erroneously) was a representation of their WD colours - my assumption was that they'd been pressed straight into service. I like the Bachmann colour scheme too and may repaint one of mine eventually.

In order to ring the changes I'm going to paint the open I'm currently working on grey - there seem to be enough grey liveried WHR wagons around (including a full-size replica on the WHHR, I think) to suggest that somebody somewhere thought them likely!

Cheers,

Andrew.