(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi JMORG!

Those are looking very impressive - I think the 2 plank is the little one that appears in the Wheeler book? You've captured the shape better than I managed to I think... I love the Gloucester wagon too - the strapping's looking great, and the distinctive bufferbeam shape. One of those is fairly high on my list...

I've also been busy on the wagon front, out-shopping these two today - the Ffestiniog brine tank and the second small WHR open:

Jan wagons 3.jpg
Jan wagons 3.jpg (225.34 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
Jan wagons 2.jpg
Jan wagons 2.jpg (352.02 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
Jan wagons 1.jpg
Jan wagons 1.jpg (293.14 KiB) Viewed 5921 times

I've been out tidying up the garden a little - these two might just get a test run tomorrow...

Cheers,

Andrew.

All the best,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm

This all looks terrific. The weathering (and the rivets) are completely convincing. Seduced by all of it, I went and bought a load of Nail Art stuff, so I could plaster rivet heads over everything. But it’s a nightmare! I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:30 pm

BertieB wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm This all looks terrific. The weathering (and the rivets) are completely convincing. Seduced by all of it, I went and bought a load of Nail Art stuff, so I could plaster rivet heads over everything. But it’s a nightmare! I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...
Glad you like 'em, thanks!

For the wagon strapping etc I make little jigs to get the gems in the right place - usually just holes drilled in offcuts of thin ply. I use a pen to mark the part (a fine permanent marker if I can find one), then apply plastic cement, then add the gem with the tip of a knife blade. The tank was more of a challenge (!) but I discovered that the gems can be placed in more-or-less the right places then pushed into a straight line with the edge of a ruler while the glue sets. If you can't use then in your modelling you'll just have to stick 'em to your nails as intended...

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:23 am

Picking up those gems can be frustrating. I use very fine needles, you know the ones that are used by our better halves...When they get a bit blunt, just rub the tip along some fine emery paper. Job done. :thumbright:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm

BertieB wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm I can’t imagine how you all manage to organise and glue the damn things into neat, equally spaced rows. I can’t even pick ‘em up...
And another 'handling' method. I shape a small piece of blu tack into a fine point, and pick up the little critters with that. A light dab of plastic weld or similar and position - job's a good 'un. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi all.
I am just finishing a PDF Baldwin tractor (gluing on the fuel tank and splashers today and adding glazing to the front windows) and thought I would add my rivitting method to this discussion.
First I draw a straight line for the rivit heads (Cambrian models), then draw a cross line every 5 mm along this line. After adding a small puddle of superglue into a plastic lid i dip the end of a cocktail stick into the glue and tap a little onto 2 or 3 of the cross lines. While the end of the cocktail stick is still damp with glue it will pick up a rivet and if i then touch it into place on the cross it will let go of the stick and adhere to the cross. If I work quickly I can do another 1 or 2 rivets before having to glue more crosses. I use a dry cocktail stick to move the rivets quickly if necessary.
IMG_20200217_210842.jpg
IMG_20200217_210842.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 5402 times
There are about 300 rivets on my model and it took a few session to add them all. Yours look straighter than some of mine Andrew.
David
David T.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:13 am

Makes up to a great looking model David, I admire the style of these Baldwins.
Grant.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am

That looks about 420 rivets on that tank wagon Andrew. :-)
David.
David T.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 am

River Lin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am That looks about 420 rivets on that tank wagon Andrew. :-)
David.
Rivet counters !!!!!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 am

Oh no..... :lol: :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:26 pm

River Lin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am That looks about 420 rivets on that tank wagon Andrew. :-)
David.
Sounds about right to me!

Thanks for the tips on your technique - that Baldwin's a fine-looking loco! I've got an Andel one which I'm hoping to return to action soon...

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:04 am

River Lin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:32 pm Hi all.
I am just finishing a PDF Baldwin tractor (gluing on the fuel tank and splashers today and adding glazing to the front windows) and thought I would add my rivitting method to this discussion.
First I draw a straight line for the rivit heads (Cambrian models), then draw a cross line every 5 mm along this line. After adding a small puddle of superglue into a plastic lid i dip the end of a cocktail stick into the glue and tap a little onto 2 or 3 of the cross lines. While the end of the cocktail stick is still damp with glue it will pick up a rivet and if i then touch it into place on the cross it will let go of the stick and adhere to the cross. If I work quickly I can do another 1 or 2 rivets before having to glue more crosses. I use a dry cocktail stick to move the rivets quickly if necessary.
IMG_20200217_210842.jpg
There are about 300 rivets on my model and it took a few session to add them all. Yours look straighter than some of mine Andrew.
David
Looks fantastic! How does it run

Slightly related; does anyone have an idea of what colours the Simplex and Baldwin tractors were painted?

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi. JMORG.
While researching colours i found these-
IMG_20200304_154544.jpg
IMG_20200304_154544.jpg (176.19 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
See main image and the one bottom right. Both FR.
Also -
IMG_20200304_154635.jpg
IMG_20200304_154635.jpg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
This is a still from a film from the early preservation days at Bleanau F. Looking at the film clip it appears to be pale blue.
I ended up painting mine maroon :?
David.
David T.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi all.
Not wanting to hijack this thread of Andrew's, if you look at the last post in my ' Slaters 2 ton slate wagon' thread there is a short Utube clip of my Baldwin running this morning.
David
David T.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello!

According to the 7mm Assoc's book of FfR drawings, "tractors, introduced during the Stephens period, were plain green with black running gear. The Baldwin may have sported red painted rods and fly cranks".

I guess that's either the kind of mid, kind of municipal-looking, green seen in the pictures, or maybe whatever shade of green they came in from the WD?

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:31 am

For some reason this thread has passed me by for a few months. Really like the two most recent wagons - exquisitely modelled and beautifully finished.

I've been using 1mm and 2mm half round nail art gems/pearls as rivets for a while. I'm sure I picked up the idea from another forumite. At 99p per 1000 (Inc postage) they work out to be very cost effective. You can also get hexagonal gems in various sizes to represent bolt heads.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:09 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:31 am I've been using 1mm and 2mm half round nail art gems/pearls as rivets for a while. I'm sure I picked up the idea from another forumite.
According to this very thread, I started using 'em back in June 2015, so unless anyone's use of nail gems predates that, I'm claiming it! One of the benefits of having teenage daughters!
ge_rik wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:31 amAt 99p per 1000 (Inc postage) they work out to be very cost effective. You can also get hexagonal gems in various sizes to represent bolt heads.
How do they do them for that price?! Perhaps I don't want to know...

I had a look for hexagonal ones a while ago (on your advice Rik!) but couldn't find any think enough for my needs - perhaps it's time to trawl that corner of the internet again!

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:40 pm

Aha, so it's all your fault..... :?
Actually, thanks. Cambrian are good - especially for 'nut + washer + bolt' heads but the nail art pearls save having to cut the rivet heads off the sprue.

1000 x 1mm half round for 99p or £1.30 for 2mm inc postage (from Swindon) - plus 10% if you buy more than one pack
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-Half-Pe ... CBBN_6CcOg

I can't find the hexagonal pearls I bought but found these which might do the job (£1.25 per 1000 inc postage from Andover)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-Chunky-H ... XQvTlRiWbl

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:21 am

River Lin wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:53 pm Hi. JMORG.
While researching colours i found these-
IMG_20200304_154544.jpg
See main image and the one bottom right. Both FR.
Also -
IMG_20200304_154635.jpg
This is a still from a film from the early preservation days at Bleanau F. Looking at the film clip it appears to be pale blue.
I ended up painting mine maroon :?
David.
I'll probably do one in British Army olive green, I've got a few BW pictures so I'll have to see if I can interpret the colours of the rods compared to the rest of the locomotive. I can imagine that the two tractors were pretty much as they were when they left the army surplus depot.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:57 am

JMORG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:21 am I'll probably do one in British Army olive green, I've got a few BW pictures so I'll have to see if I can interpret the colours of the rods compared to the rest of the locomotive. I can imagine that the two tractors were pretty much as they were when they left the army surplus depot.
The WD didn't use Baldwin petrol mechanicals. They were only built for the US Army and the French.

The French ones seem to have been grey, not sure what the US ones were. I doubt either would have had red rods as built. The usual colour scheme in service would have been mud.

I've read that the FR Baldwin PM was an ex French loco that was reconditioned by Kent Construction (Planet loco. builders), so it might have been repainted before sale.

Graeme