(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by LNR » Thu May 07, 2020 12:54 am

I can only second what Peter has said, wonderful weathering job sets off a great build.
Grant.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu May 07, 2020 7:31 am

They look good Andrew! What's next for the workshop?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 07, 2020 12:18 pm

JMORG wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:31 am What's next for the workshop?
All will be revealed...

They won't be next, but I reckon some NWNGR/WHR slate wagons are rising up the priority list. This morning's train included a plastic Ffestiniog 2t version which bounced around a bit among the heavier wooden WHR opens and vans - I've got some metal axleboxes that I plan to use to make some slightly heftier versions...

Cheers,

Andrew

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Maybe give Russell a voice?

The photos are brilliant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 08, 2020 10:03 am

Superb job on the bolster wagons. :thumbright:

Any issues with curves ie: what is the length with the match wagon Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 08, 2020 7:16 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:03 am Any issues with curves ie: what is the length with the match wagon Andrew.
Hi Rod,

With the slate wagon in between the whole thing is just under a foot long, and it seems I'd spoken too soon when I said the set ran well - on a subsequent run there were some problems with "bow string effect" on the tighter curves (3' 6"-ish), I think because the centre of gravity's pretty high. There's not much room for more weight lower down, so I think it will just be a case of keeping the speed very low and hoping for the best when running as a three wagon set. I reckon I'll generally run the pair without the match truck anyway, which should be OK.

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 08, 2020 8:02 pm

They look particularly effective. Subtly weathered and plenty of fine detail.
I especially like seeing the pair with the match truck between them. I wonder if they ever ran with two match trucks for longer loads??

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 am

Hi Andrew,

Seems the weight is the main issue then, otherwise it would run well would it. :?:

Would a flat wagon with really small wheels help, then you could possible add some weight with a heavy load like slate or even a hollow box with some led in it.... :scratch:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat May 09, 2020 12:16 pm

FWLR wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 am Hi Andrew,

Seems the weight is the main issue then, otherwise it would run well would it. :?:

Would a flat wagon with really small wheels help, then you could possible add some weight with a heavy load like slate or even a hollow box with some led in it.... :scratch:
Yep - When running as a three wagon set, what weight there is seems to be too high to counteract the length on some curves. Seems OK with just the bolsters though, so not too much of a problem.

They do run OK apart from that, apart from a bit of a squeak from one axle, but I think I've been lucky and wouldn'r rush to purchase another kit with MDF axleboxes. JMORG changes his for metal ones, which is a good idea I think, but pushes up the cost...

Cheers,

Andrew

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun May 10, 2020 8:27 am

That should have been ( Lead ) Andrew, not flipping "led". But I guess you knew what I might... :lol: :lol: :lol:

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 am

Andrew wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:16 pm
FWLR wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 am Hi Andrew,

Yep - When running as a three wagon set, what weight there is seems to be too high to counteract the length on some curves. Seems OK with just the bolsters though, so not too much of a problem.

They do run OK apart from that, apart from a bit of a squeak from one axle, but I think I've been lucky and wouldn'r rush to purchase another kit with MDF axleboxes. JMORG changes his for metal ones, which is a good idea I think, but pushes up the cost...

Cheers,

Andrew
The price and quality of Lineside Hut kits are very good, especially some of their newer, high end models. The trouble I found was that the MDF axle boxes on the slate wagons don't last, mine started to fall to pieces pretty quick! We had spare IP slate wagon axle boxes so we started using them, much better in my opinion due to the weight.
We have their tanker using the original bogies; it runs ok as it trundles along slowly, usually behind an SVS powered Garratt.
I'll try and post some pictures up soon, been making some WHR era wagons at the moment along with more freelanced stock.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 10, 2020 12:49 pm

JMORG wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 am
The price and quality of Lineside Hut kits are very good, especially some of their newer, high end models.
I'm looking forward to buying and building their model of the Curvy Roof Van at some point. It's not currently on the horizon, but I'll need to have done it by 2023, so I can recreate the opening train to celebrate the WHR centenary...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun May 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Andrew, I highly recommend the 'Lineside Hut' CRV. It is cut from high quality material, is very well designed and constructed and is good value for money. You do need to supply bogies yourself, but that can be to your advantage......
IMG_5929.JPG
IMG_5929.JPG (131.43 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:20 pm Andrew, I highly recommend the 'Lineside Hut' CRV. It is cut from high quality material, is very well designed and constructed and is good value for money.
The picture sells it Peter! Your version is stunning...

Whenever I get round to it I'm afraid mine will be in plain old "Kentish Green" with brick red ends, like most of the FfR's carriages back in the 20s! Still, it'll be quicker and easier, I guess...

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Hello again,

Readers of the Inspection thread will have seen a new addition to the (WH)WHR's rolling stock - a Permanent Way trolley. The old WHR seemed to have a number of these, some powered, some hand propelled, which were attached to the back of trains to enable the PW gang to reach their work site - there's a great 1935 photo here: http://217.34.233.120:8086/zoom-item?ke ... joVWgA/852

The trolleys feature in a surprising number of photos and accounts, and seem to have been such a feature of WHR life that I've been thinking for a while that I ought to model one. I had planned to scour every photo I could find so that I could produce drawings for an accurate model, but the impending arrival of the inspector (who I thought would enjoy a trolley ride!) encouraged me to temporarily shed my rivet-counting tendencies and purchase a quick and easy Lineside Hut kit for about £6.

The figures are toys from my People Box, hacked about and glued back together in a seated position, and the crate (no doubt containing some essential PW supplies...) and rucksack (probably containing the gang's lunch...) come from the same source.

Trolley 1.jpg
Trolley 1.jpg (151.65 KiB) Viewed 5418 times
Trolley 2.jpg
Trolley 2.jpg (163.73 KiB) Viewed 5418 times

I thought it would be useful to have the option of the trolley as a small flat wagon too, so made an alternate load as well. I've had these since I was about five, when they trundled around the carpet behind a battery powered engine on red plastic track! They could do with a coat of paint - they were last painted about 30 years ago, and the coloured plastic's beginning to show through.

Trolley 3.jpg
Trolley 3.jpg (143.83 KiB) Viewed 5418 times

The "loads", including the people, have washers glued underneath, which affix to strong magnets set into the surface of the wagon - I'll probably paint them at some stage to disguise them a little.

Trolley 4.jpg
Trolley 4.jpg (195.08 KiB) Viewed 5418 times

They're pretty powerful:

Trolley 5.jpg
Trolley 5.jpg (152.37 KiB) Viewed 5418 times

The figures don't stay put so well, so I think I'll need to swap the washers glued to their posteriors for some stronger ones - there's no dignity if you're a member of the (WH)WHR PW gang!

Cheers all,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 15, 2020 7:38 am

What a great way of fixing non permanent items to a wagon, much better than glueing them so you're stuck with them (no pun) to the rolling stock. Amazing where you can find things to add to builds, makes the saying "You never know" all the more worthwhile...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 20, 2020 1:20 pm

Good afternoon!

Well, the next rolling stock project is underway. I think it's possibly been 5 years since I built a carriage, so it's time I did something about that - I've started work on a model of Ffestiniog Van 4, rebuilt from a full brake in 1928 and seemingly used quite a lot on the Welsh Highland, so it should look well at home in whatever rake of carriages it runs in.

Here it is - quite a characterful vehicle, I think?

And here's the first stage of my model - I haven't got very far yet!

Van 4 - 1.jpg
Van 4 - 1.jpg (202.96 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
Van 4 - 2.jpg
Van 4 - 2.jpg (277.46 KiB) Viewed 5231 times

The floor's from an old drawer, with running gear courtesy of a Big Big Train carriage, like most of my coaches. Big Big stuff is still available relatively cheaply from time to time, I find it runs very nicely, and the obvious inaccuracies are largely hidden under the carriage. The pay-off is that the floor comes out slightly high inside the carriage, but that's barely noticeable on a small-windowed compartment carriage like this one.

Sides, ends and compartment dividers next, perhaps over the next week or two, although life may get in the way...

Cheers,

Andrew.

PS The drawings show that the bogies were arranged asymmetrically, with the one at the brake end further in by several feet. I think that would've been because the original van had a balcony, incorporated into the body of the carriage during the '28 rebuild, with the bogies arranged under the former body bit rather than under the balcony. I've gone for a more conventional arrangement for a smaller overhang and so better running round my sharp curves - it'll take an eagle eye to notice!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 20, 2020 1:43 pm

Good luck with that one Andrew, you have a challenge on your hands with the rounded windows and panel overlays. I'm sure it will be superb when complete. Then, and only then, can we bring up the subject of bogies!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 20, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks Peter!

Luckily only the end windows are curved! I was thinking of doing them first, but might actually make the ends last - that way I'll have to persevere, even if the first attempt isn't up to scratch!

Cheers,

Andrew

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed May 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Good luck Andrew!
I'm amazed that these vans have never really been modelled in any of their guises, apart from Perfect World.