Mamod Wagons Kit Bashed

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Mamod Wagons Kit Bashed

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Here are some Mamods that I got on ebay which have been 'kit bashed'.

Looks like this started life as a Mamod Lumber Wagon as there is evidence of rivets having been fitted to the chassis sideplates. Buffers, bufferplates and couplings removed and replaced with centre couplings and 3 link chains. Upper wooden bodywork with dummy coal load added to represent a loaded coal wagon.

The next three came from the same source, and share a common theme. The red buffer plates were removed, the buffers had their stock removed and used backwards to mount the oversized wooden buffer plate with wooden buffers. The coupling mount has been removed and replaced with a simple wire hook and 3 link chain.

This was a Mamod Open Wagon which has been repainted and kit bashed as above.

This is a basic Mamod chassis which has been kit bashed as above, and wooden bodywork added to make a boxed Goods Wagon.

This is also a basic Mamod chassis which has been kit bashed as above, and wooden bodywork added to make a nice Guards Van, together with an oversized lamp and a Guard figure.

Thanks for looking.

Chris Cairns.

(edited to correct image links)
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Wed May 23, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks for sharing these Chris you certainly are building up a great colection :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks for the kind comment Graham.

Although I've yet to lay a rail down for my Garden Railway, I'm building up quite a collection of photos of my stock, so I must look into starting a Freeweb website like yourself and others.

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:34 pm

Nice wagones Chris! I think the first ones the best :D

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Interesting Stuff!

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:23 pm

Ive done similar with lumber wagons but ours where only single plank ones. i like what youve done though.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Until recently I only had 3 items of running Rolling Stock fitted with a centre buffer coupling.

So this one took a bit of abuse and both the brass rod couplings pulled out of the buffers. I tried fixing them back in with super glue but that did not work so they have been fixed in using 5 minute epoxy. The couplings were a bit lower than the recommended standard height so as the wagon body is longer than the Mamod Lumber Wagon chassis it sits on I used some washers to space the buffers out and raised them to the correct height.

As I do with all my running Mamod/MSS Rolling Stock the axle ends have been filed with rounded ends and nylon washers fitted to prevent the axles locking up (an inherent design fault with the cast Mamod axles & axle boxes).

I obtained a Mamod/MSS flat bed wagon which had some small IP Eng centre buffer couplings crudely fitted. Initially I removed these and repaired the couplings back to the Mamod/MSS standard but one of them subsequently broke so I decided to make this flat bed wagon into my coupling converter wagon.

I obtained a used Open Wagon body at a previous Merstham Steam Rally and fitted it with an Andel coal load. So this wagon now has a standard Mamod/MSS coupling on one end, and an IP Eng centre buffer coupling at the recommended height on the other end.

Chris Cairns.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Hello!

Those wagons remind me of some early ones of my own. I purchased a Mamod goods set when I was 13 and over the next 10(?) years gradually made a few changes to them. The first one was a scratchbuilt open wagon with curved ends, Southwold style - the only Mamod bits that used were the frames and wheels.

That left me a van body - I used the metal body and overlaid it with wooden planks and strapping, as seen in the picture below:

The Mamod brake van in the picture is also from that first set, with added duckets (plastic, from Brandbright), footboards and lamp brackets, but otherwise unmodified - I've always been very fond of it...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Those look very good Andrew.

Sadly these days a lot of Mamod bits seem to be consigned to providing a well used atmosphere to a railway and thus slowly rusting away.

Chris Cairns.

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:04 am

Nice collection a mamod chassis does bode well for varied stock like you have proved

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:53 pm

I've had a couple of Mamod/MSS flatbed wagons lying idle for some time now whilst I contemplate what to do with them. An early idea to use one for the chassis of a 'Thing' failed when I won a complete 'Thing' on eBay. I had considered the wagon kits that Manor Models offers ( http://www.manormodelsrailway.co.uk/MSS ... r_KITS.asp ), so when a batch of them appeared on eBay I purchased the Buy It Now one & won the auction for a second one.

However as you can see they came attached to MSS flatbed wagons already!

This is the planked flatbed wagon kit version

This is railway open wagon kit version

So those other flatbed wagons will still be left lying idle for now whilst I come up with another idea!

Chris Cairns.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Could I suggest Chris hiding the cheese head screws with some sort of anchor points for chains?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi Tom,

Only just received the planked flatbed wagon kit this afternoon as it got held up via Royal Mail, so only just seen it in the flesh before taking those photos. Whilst I've got several items as loads on the go in the paint shop which will be suitable for the open wagon (crates, barrels & drums), not so sure on the flatbed yet.

It will be painted grey and possible have a scrap or restored Mamod loco boiler in a frame on top, as seen at many heritage railways.

Anchor points would be easy to make as I have spare brass rod, however I have no chains at present. Could be used as part of the boiler restraint.

Thanks for the idea Tom.

Chris Cairns.

BEYNAK
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BEYNAK » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:50 am

Andrew:85343 wrote:Hello!

Those wagons remind me of some early ones of my own. I purchased a Mamod goods set when I was 13 and over the next 10(?) years gradually made a few changes to them. The first one was a scratchbuilt open wagon with curved ends, Southwold style - the only Mamod bits that used were the frames and wheels.

That left me a van body - I used the metal body and overlaid it with wooden planks and strapping, as seen in the picture below:

The Mamod brake van in the picture is also from that first set, with added duckets (plastic, from Brandbright), footboards and lamp brackets, but otherwise unmodified - I've always been very fond of it...
Absolutely brilliant !

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 pm

I totally agree with BEYNAK, you have made a wonderful job of those little wagons.
More please!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Seem to be spending too much time in the 'workshop/paint shop' building up rakes of rolling stock, with little time for running live steam these days.

Anyway finally got these Manor Models kits finished and sealed with satin varnish.

No.60 Planked Flatbed Wagon Kit

I adopted tom_tom_go's suggestion of disguising the cheese head screws by soldering in some thin brass rod as anchor points. When time permits I'll probably add one of my scrap locomotive boilers as a suitable load.

No.61 Open Wagon Kit

I'm slowly detailing some rejected resin casted drums that I obtained on eBay as suitable wagon loads.

Chris Cairns.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 pm

very good very neat too