New Wholestick Cane Trucks

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: New Wholestick Cane Trucks

Post by GTB » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:17 am

The unloaded rake will look great trundling along behind a small loco. Have you started stockpiling the straw brooms you'll need for a loaded rake? 8)

If you want to defuzz cord, when I went through a ship modelling phase many years ago I found rubbing yellow wood glue into the cord used for model ship rigging would glue down any standing fibres. I never found the need to burn off any remaining fuzz.

My method was to cut a length of cord, clamp one end, tension it with one hand and run a bead of glue along it. Then run a thumb and forefinger along the cord to rub in the glue and press down any loose fibres.

The wood glue doesn't dry instantly like CA, so it can be draped in position before it dries. I found it was it easy to coil it up and drape it over belaying pins, but if it was hung with a weight on it, it dried dead straight and didn't need excessive tension to stay that way on a model.

I used the technique again recently when I was rigging the brake handles on one of the log bogie pairs.

Regards,
Graeme

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:48 am

A while back, I did pick up a pair of new Vietnamese grass brooms that were going cheap. They're finer and more floppy than millet/straw, and I'd like to have a go at modelling that characteristic droop the cane has over the sides of the truck. The loads will likely need painting, so if that goes badly I'll bulk order some cheap millets instead..

That sounds the better way to go, for rope. Even before treatment it certainly looks better than dyed kitchen twine I've been using on other projects.
Will have to add some to the next Cornwall Model boats order.. Cheers!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:04 am

https://www.thetraveltart.com/wp-conten ... tralia.jpg

Because they weren’t all that neat when they stacked them

Tim

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:33 pm

11thHour wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:04 am https://www.thetraveltart.com/wp-conten ... tralia.jpg

Because they weren’t all that neat when they stacked them

Tim
That certainly looks like a challenge - not just to model but to keep the wagons on the track!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube