IP Engineering freelance carriages

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

IP Engineering freelance carriages

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:05 pm

I wanted to share a few photos of some carriages I've built over the last few months. I went for a GWR inspired chocolate & cream finish with indian red window frames. New to 16mm modelling these are my first carriages, I'm pretty happy overall with the finish. The 'first class' balcony carriage is missing it's facades as they were extremely fragile so I decided to remove them before they broke during use.

One big difficulty I faced was fitting the rooves (roofs?). Two of the kits had wooden rooves, which were somewhat easier to fit. The plastic roof on the balcony carriage caused no end of stress! I bought one of the IP engineering roof jigs but still struggled - any tips anyone has for getting a good finish when fitting a roof would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_9419.jpeg
IMG_9419.jpeg (594.36 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
IMG_9420.jpeg
IMG_9420.jpeg (586.42 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
IMG_9421.jpeg
IMG_9421.jpeg (658.87 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
IMG_9422.jpeg
IMG_9422.jpeg (522.12 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
IMG_9423.jpeg
IMG_9423.jpeg (665.34 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
IMG_9424.jpeg
IMG_9424.jpeg (577.7 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
Last edited by georgesheppard on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IP Engineering freelance carriages

Post by -steves- » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:10 pm

They are absolutely amazing, a very big well done, they look great :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:40 pm

Very nicely done.

Roofs are always a bit of a pain. Depending on how they are formed, slightly over curving before gluing can help to avoid the switchback effect. Also adding an extra thickness at the top of the walls before fitting the roof can give a bit more for the glue to bite on. Finally, laying a stiffener along the tops at the edges to spread/even out the prsdure and then holding with rubber bands whilst the glue sets, can help with the switchbacks.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi George and welcome to the Forum.
For a first time build you have shown a high level of skill in putting those kits together. I have had some experience with IP kits and my findings are they leave much to be desired. They usually need additional pieces (not supplied) to add strength and support.
The roof assembly is best done by forming a ribbed framework, whether in wood or HIP. I found that a cradle is best to lay all the pieces on while the glue is drying, once set you can either have it fixed or removable......
IMG_5909.JPG
IMG_5909.JPG (84.39 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
IMG_5910.JPG
IMG_5910.JPG (78.47 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
This shows one method of keeping everything in place, although 2 clamps and a length of timber is better!....
IMG_5911.JPG
IMG_5911.JPG (95.04 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
You have painted the panels and overlays separately before final assembly, which is the best way to give a crisp edge. My guess is that you have used spots of superglue to attach the overlays when I prefer canopy adhesive.....
IMG_5802.JPG
IMG_5802.JPG (74.75 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
This is wonderful stuff which sticks almost everything but dries clear and doesn't affect paintwork. Any in the wrong place is easily wiped off before it sets or peeled off after.
During lock-down I did a series of kit builds to show how manufacturers differ in design and materials. I was interested to see how they differed, some very basic yet others have gone to extremes with jigs to prevent movement and maintain perfect alignment. The cost varies quite a bit, but not in the way you might expect.
If you search on my thread, 'Time to build a railway.... ' under Railways and Layouts section, beginning at page 150, I cover about 6 or 7 kits.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Thank all you for the kind words!
The roof assembly is best done by forming a ribbed framework, whether in wood or HIP. I found that a cradle is best to lay all the pieces on while the glue is drying, once set you can either have it fixed or removable......
Thanks Peter - that looks like a much better way of forming the roof. I'll keep that in mind for my next kit build. I had attempted to squash the roof into place using cans of dog food but it wasn't all that effective..
IMG_9355.jpg
IMG_9355.jpg (677.8 KiB) Viewed 6141 times
I've ordered some Canopy Glue as well, thanks for the suggestion. I did use superglue to attach the exterior parts. I used plastizap on the windows which seems to not leave the white stain of superglue at least, not sure why I didn't think to try using elsewhere!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:12 pm

If that last picture is what you describe as the IP Engineering roof former, there is no way that could give equal support along the whole length.
The ripple effect is guaranteed with such a system but possibly improved by sticking a sheet of thin ply to the formers along the whole length?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:50 pm

I can only echo what others have said, a superb series of builds. Your first introduction to garden railways is off to a very good start.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:52 am

After a few issues like yours with roofs, I now use planks on rooves on all my scratchbuilds.

In my case, like Peter Butler, my principal construction material is plastic sheet, but I've used the same approach for the models I've made from wood. My planks are generally 10mm wide and 2mm thick.
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG (132.85 KiB) Viewed 6105 times
I then put a thin (0.5mm) single layer over the top.
IMG_1246.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG (161.84 KiB) Viewed 6105 times
With wood this could be thin card or fabric. After all, this is how they used to make real roofs on rolling stock. I generally use quite a few more roof cross members than you might be using, but they are easy to replicate.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:12 pm If that last picture is what you describe as the IP Engineering roof former, there is no way that could give equal support along the whole length.
The ripple effect is guaranteed with such a system but possibly improved by sticking a sheet of thin ply to the formers along the whole length?
This sounds like a good improvement. I'm now eying up some new kits so will look to make this modification.
ge_rik wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:52 am After a few issues like yours with roofs, I now use planks on rooves on all my scratchbuilds.

In my case, like Peter Butler, my principal construction material is plastic sheet, but I've used the same approach for the models I've made from wood. My planks are generally 10mm wide and 2mm thick.
Thanks for sharing these pictures. Lots to consider for future projects!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am

We've added wooden strips along the length of the roof former, much more effective and even than the standard kit.
We've now replaced the roofs of all carriages with rolled aluminium...

Palmerston
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Palmerston » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:24 am

Ive used rolled metal sheet. Afterwards the sheet needs to be trimmed as the first few mm are "flat" due to the nature of the rolling machine. Soldered lugs on the oposite sides for holding with screw.

maybe the best method is to glue the roof to the body and make this detachable from the chassis. The interior is fitted on the base.
Live steam on 45 & 184mm, battery 45mm only.

MMorg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by MMorg » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:21 pm

In order to eliminate the flat area when rolling sheet metal roll a short distance (say 25mm)from the rear of the rollers first. (In reverse) Then remove the part and roll from the front as normal starting with the pre rolled end.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:15 pm

Nice carriages! I love the livery, particularly the black panelling and the red droplights, just lovely!

I also use the planked roof technique, I made one last night, in fact. I tape it back together once I've cut my planks, then turn it over and apply the "felt" - usually an old t-shirt, but I think I'll try Peter's (I think?) suggestion of curtain lining this time around.

I built one of those IP balcony carriages too, modifying it to look something like a (short) Ffestiniog example - I created new balcony rails with coat hanger wire and large split pins, and that's pretty durable. As you've said, the original wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes...

Thanks for the pictures,

Andrew.

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:32 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:15 pm I built one of those IP balcony carriages too, modifying it to look something like a (short) Ffestiniog example - I created new balcony rails with coat hanger wire and large split pins, and that's pretty durable. As you've said, the original wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes...
Great idea. I was wondering what to replace them with! I keep getting flashbacks to fitting the roof when I look at that carriage so it might be a project for a later date :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:16 am

georgesheppard wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Andrew wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:15 pm I built one of those IP balcony carriages too, modifying it to look something like a (short) Ffestiniog example - I created new balcony rails with coat hanger wire and large split pins, and that's pretty durable. As you've said, the original wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes...
Great idea. I was wondering what to replace them with! I keep getting flashbacks to fitting the roof when I look at that carriage so it might be a project for a later date :lol:
Glad you like the idea! Here's how mine came out (pre-painting, obviously!), including the Ffestiniog mods:

Roofs are a nightmare - as I recall the one on this carriage came out pretty wonky!

All the best,

Andrew.

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:13 am

Andrew wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:16 am
georgesheppard wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Glad you like the idea! Here's how mine came out (pre-painting, obviously!), including the Ffestiniog mods:

Roofs are a nightmare - as I recall the one on this carriage came out pretty wonky!

All the best,

Andrew.
Looks great Andrew!

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:04 pm

IMG_20190405_162422.jpg
IMG_20190405_162422.jpg (519.49 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
My IP coach rake. I used thin ply for the roof in place of the plastic card provided. I used 3 or 4 elastic bands with some thin planks between the roof and rubber bands to hold everything till the glue went off. The van is also an IP WD van which I altered to a curved roof and used the same thin ply. The stock also has toilet papered roofs to represent felting which was placed over the ply then dabbed with diluted PVA glue. Love your stock, the livery suits it very well!

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:37 pm

pippindoo wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:04 pm IMG_20190405_162422.jpg
My IP coach rake. I used thin ply for the roof in place of the plastic card provided. I used 3 or 4 elastic bands with some thin planks between the roof and rubber bands to hold everything till the glue went off. The van is also an IP WD van which I altered to a curved roof and used the same thin ply. The stock also has toilet papered roofs to represent felting which was placed over the ply then dabbed with diluted PVA glue. Love your stock, the livery suits it very well!
Looking good pippindoo! I think customising the roof is the way forward. I'm waiting on some kits from the The Line Side Hut, I think the roof construction is more advanced so hopefully I'll have fewer issues!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:20 pm

georgesheppard wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:37 pm I'm waiting on some kits from the The Line Side Hut, I think the roof construction is more advanced so hopefully I'll have fewer issues!
My experience of building Lineside Hut kits has been positive. From passenger coaches, where the roof ribs have been fitted first to add strength to the side walls.....
IMG_5961.JPG
IMG_5961.JPG (89.21 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
IMG_5962.JPG
IMG_5962.JPG (86.64 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
To the elaborate jig supplied with the Curly Roof Van kit.....
IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG (431.97 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
IMG_5887.JPG
IMG_5887.JPG (93.56 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
Everything needed is supplied.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Lineside Hut carriages are good! We have a Corris coach and van (modified to have a ducket). We did scrap the original roof's and replace them with aluminium but there was no doubt the roofs on them are designed well. The bracing was kept to add rigidity to the carriage sides.
The only metal roofed carriage that ever gives issues is our model of WHR 23. This has a steel roof - good when in the traditional modern WHR position of "behind the Garratt" but it does tend to pull carriages off the track that are in front of it!
Once the bug boxes are finished I'll test them and see if the carriage pulls them off.