Scratchbuilding a 'Rye & Camber' style coach

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scratchbuilding a 'Rye & Camber' style coach

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:52 am

Hi Tom
I concur with everything that has been said so far - ie scribing and Halfords rattle cans.

I'd also suggest investing in a tube of Squadron White Putty (I get mine from Eileen's Emporium). No matter how carefully you cut and join your plasticard parts, there are bound to be some gaps that need filling. I usually fill and sand down before applying a couple of coats of grey primer. The primer then shows up any gaps and dints which I missed, so I apply more filler. The primer will need a light sanding anyway, so sanding the filler at this stage fits in quite neatly.

Another coat of primer and then the top coat can go on . I use Halfords car paint aerosols for the top coat on coaches (Vauxhall Burgundy Red) and rub down lightly before a couple of light coats of Halfords clear lacquer.

The secret is to apply a few light coats of spray, turning the model round and over between coats, rather than trying to do it all in one go. They recommend 15 minutes drying between coats so it doesn't take too long. But I know Peter and others get really great results with careful brush painting. It just depends on what you feel most comfortable with.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:50 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:52 am

I'd also suggest investing in a tube of Squadron White Putty (I get mine from Eileen's Emporium).
Yes, magic stuff!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:51 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:52 am

I use Halfords car paint aerosols for the top coat on coaches (Vauxhall Burgundy Red) and rub down lightly before a couple of light coats of Halfords clear lacquer.

The secret is to apply a few light coats of spray, turning the model round and over between coats, rather than trying to do it all in one go. They recommend 15 minutes drying between coats so it doesn't take too long. But I know Peter and others get really great results with careful brush painting. It just depends on what you feel most comfortable with.

Rik
Halford's acrylic aerosols are good and have a wide colour selection, 'Burgundy Red' (paint and wine) is also a personal choice! Light coats are preferable for an even coating, as with the clear lacquer. For a less shiny surface I add a spray of Satin Lacquer on top.
Brush painting, using Citadel Acrylics, is next to impossible to mess-up as they dry perfectly smooth. Naturally it is sometimes simpler to brush areas with less masking required than with spray paints.
For goods vehicles a matt finish is preferable and a grey primer spray gives a good covering to begin any weathering finish. Otherwise, brush painting with acrylics (following the primer coat) and a clear matt spray top coat to seal the paint will do the trick.
I can't comment on the putty as I have never used one.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:51 am

For goods vehicles a matt finish is preferable and a grey primer spray gives a good covering to begin any weathering finish. Otherwise, brush painting with acrylics (following the primer coat) and a clear matt spray top coat to seal the paint will do the trick.

I can't comment on the putty as I have never used one.
That's probably because you are that good at building models with Plasticard Peter.