Open Carriage build Part 3.

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Open Carriage build Part 3.

Post by Tony Bird » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:15 am

Hi,

The carriage is nearly finished awaiting some brass square section trim which the local model shop is out of stock of and it needs painting. So, with luck maybe a week or so.

https://youtu.be/OXTJYzq9eKA

It's back to making scenery for the new layout today. If we are not careful the layout will get completely finished before being exhibited something that has never happened with the two previous exhibition layouts made. One of the reasons so many videos are being made is to slow the building process down.

Take care and stay safe.

Tony.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Open Carriage build Part 3.

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:06 am

Very tidy work, and an unusual prototype. :thumbright:
That loco must be fairly powerful for it's size, having dual motors?
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Open Carriage build Part 3.

Post by Tony Bird » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:06 am

Hi Aaron,

Glad you like the build.

Yes, it is quite powerful well beyond its limit of adhesion. The reason for using two motors was to get 4WD; when the model was made using a chain or belt drive hadn't occurred to me. The locomotive has to be reasonably powerful as the carriage and its figures are quite heavy. It was only yesterday that the square section tube which would finish the roof supports arrived allowing the construction to be completed and the roof undercoated.
IMG_2963 crop LR.jpg
IMG_2963 crop LR.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
While sorting out the garage I found some old Triang 00 gauge stock; so I had a go at making a 1" scale version of one of Tom Smiths other 7.25" gauge carriage. I don't play in '00' gauge but as also found a couple of locomotives if their mechanisms still work or can be made to work I might make a locomotive for the carriage. Almost worth it for the comments at the model club when I ask if I can play with my train on their scratch built layout, might have some clearance problems which should be easy to resolve? I suppose it is a garden railway project for a Dolls House!

https://youtu.be/Aas2emDq1cI

Take care and stay safe.

Tony.