IP brake van

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Big Jim

IP brake van

Post by Big Jim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 pm

I have managed to get the shed built and an unexpectedly free afternoon has allowed me to make a start on an IP Brake Van.

This I acquired second hand, but un-started. I think it may be one of Ivan's earlier efforts.

It does go together reasonably well but I can't say that I am overly impressed with some of the panels as none of them seem to be quite square. They are out just enough to make fitting everything up a bit of a fiddle, but not enough to be really noticeable before you put things together. I don't know if this is just a bad one as other IP kits I have built have gone together with out much hassle.

Mind you as the wide assortment of Dai's on the PMR don't really do subtle, I am certain that the slighty iffy panel fit can be put down to some over energetic fly shunting.

Next task is to drill some holes for some coach bolt heads. Just out of interest, would wooden framed wagons be all bolted together or would some of the panels be nailed on? (Basically do i need to drill holes on all the framing?)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: IP brake van.

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:35 am

Sorry, but frames were largely bolted, and underframes were held together with quite a lot of ironmongery. Nails cannot take a lot of gip, so they are mainly useful for non-load bearing parts of the structure, and even then, only when one is doing a cheap and cheerful job.

Peter in VA
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Slight change of plan, I still haven't found my box of microstrip so the strapping with have to wait.
I decided to put window frames in, these are a third depth in the aperture so that gazing can be put in and another bit of framing can be put in the rear. I think I will use well diluted pva to stick the glass in. This should avoid the fogging you can get with Superglue. Hopefully this, with the rear frame will hold it all well enough.

The doors were so out of true, I remade one and fitted the other in the open position.

I think it needs a working tail lamp, why, I am not sure as I don't have a railway and I don't run in the dark, It just seems like a good idea. Chuffed 2 Bits self contained ones are unavailable at the moment. Does anyone know of another supplier that does working ones that carry their own batteries?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Jim, for the installation of window glazing I recommend Canopy Adhesive which is designed for the purpose the name describes. It is a milky liquid which dries perfectly clear and leaves no residue or fogging, I have some so I know it works.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks Peter, I will give that a go.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 am

I love your mug Jim, I need one of those for work.

Self-contained lamps:

http://slrmodels.co.uk

Otherwise, make one and hide the battery under the deck. I did this on my IP van using a coin cell battery. It powers one LED for ages.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks Tom, I will have a look at SLR.

The mug was a present from Secret Santa last year at College, apparently I had raised bloody-mindedness to a new level and had started to scare younger colleagues with an outlook of Eeyore/Victor Meldrew proportions. As I come from a line of cantankerous old buggers, I took this as a compliment. I am currently training my son and heir to take on the mantle of well aimed, instructional and educational stroppiness.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:48 pm

A bit of bolt detail has now been applied with plenty more to do.

Coach bolt heads on the outside and nuts on the inside. Strapping made from very old (Priced in £/s/d) microstrip.

My eyes are now well and truly crossed and unable to focus on anything more than 6 inches away.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Nice detail.

Are they Cambrian nut/bolt parts?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes. I have plenty in stock for this build but I hope they are back in production soon.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: IP brake van

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Looking good Jim, you must be pleased with the additional work which is going to make all the difference to the end result.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:17 pm

I am hoping it might disguise some of the less well cut parts.
It will be weathered to the point of decrepit and again this should help.
It would be unheard of for the PMR to possess an item of rolling stock that was anything less than three-parts knackered.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 am

All the ironwork has now been completed. I have to say that attaching the rivets/bolts is quite therapeutic.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:26 am

That is beautiful.
David
David T.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:22 pm

What David said. Going to look good in colour.
Grant.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:11 pm

That is looking nice, did you find it easier the more you did? It's finding a method that works for you. I can't honestly say I find it therapeutic but it is rewarding to see some texture emerging on a slab of wood or plasticard.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Thank you Gentlemen.

A bit more work progress, sprayed grey last night. I wanted a very rough, aged finish so I didn't mix the paint particularly well before I sprayed it. This gives quite a mottled effect with different tones across the body. Two planks I masked up to keep the grey off, these were then toned down a bit with mucky thinners. a few other planks were painted with a slightly different colour to represent repairs. A quick roughen up in a couple of patches, followed by some brown to give it some rotten areas (paint still a bot wet, hence the slightly shiny appearance)

I don't know if I am going to bother picking out the strapping in black, I can't see that the PMR would waste time and paint on doing this. Although the bolt heads on the two bare wood planks will be picked out in silver as new fastenings would have been used.

As for the poster....
It would appear that the PMR's cash saving, no clock policy has backfired in a rather unfortunate way.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:26 am

Bit hard using a sundial while rounding a curve though. Still laughing!!!
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 am

Surely if you provided company pocket watches this hilarious practice would cease?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 am

Wow - great job Jim!
Where did I put that uncoupler?