A scratchbuilt "big" diesel

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: A scratchbuilt "big" diesel

Post by gregh » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:02 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:25 am Very well organised write-up and build, Greg! You come up with some excellent ideas, too.

Regards,
Aaron
Thanks Aaron. Someday we'll be able to visit Queensland and maybe get together. (Me bruvver lives in Buderim)
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:21 pm

gregh wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:51 am
Rule1 is always cut on the backside, so slips don't show. And always cut to the inside of the window.
A lot of my models have a 'inner box' made from 1.5mm styrene covered by an outer 0.5mm styrene 'skin' with any rivets etc on it. So any slip cuts are covered up.
When cutting windows in thicker styrene (>1mm), I drill holes inside each corner of the window, then cut diagonally across between the corners, then finally around the 4 sides. That allows me to break out the 4 triangles easily. Then a square file in the corners.
And I admit - I hate doing them!
When making passenger carriages with lots of windows, I make the outer sides from 0.5mm styrene which is much easier to cut the windows out of, and then build up the 'insides' of the windows with smaller, thicker styrene pieces for strength. Then a final inner 0.5mm to cover it all up. (then the slide in window holders.)
Sorry if it's hard to understand, but I don't have any pics.
Greg,
Apologies for taking so long to come back to this :oops:
Thanks for posting such a detailed reply - it all seems obvious as you detail it there - especially cutting from the 'inside out', and using thin styrene skin has given me an idea to finally tackle a part built loco I purchased, where the previous modeller was even more slapdash than me - it has sat neglected because I couldn't face cutting new openings in 1-2mm styrene! I shall save this useful advice to my modelling hints and tips folder - thank you. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:28 pm

And now I've finished the rest of the thread - excellent. The 'reversing' driver is ingenious, and aslo the recharging 'pins' - such a simple idea. Thanks so much for sharing, there's lots of food for thought there.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Just catching up with this thread - what a great looking loco, well done! Love the livery too...

Thanks for the detailed write up,

Andrew.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:06 am

gregh wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:02 am Thanks Aaron. Someday we'll be able to visit Queensland and maybe get together. (Me bruvver lives in Buderim)
Aye, would be good to meet you in person. Funny you say that, I'm all of five minutes from Buderim.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works