Semi-scale BR: an ‘air-smoothed’ Bulleid

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Semi-scale BR: an ‘air-smoothed’ Bulleid

Post by BertieB » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 pm

Scrat wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:38 am Are these drawings available on the net?

I wasn’t able to find anything.

I got the info from Bulleid of the Southern by his son. It’s out of print but you can find it second-hand at online bookstores.

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks for the info.
Found it on abebooks for 6 GBP.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:35 pm

invicta280 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:34 pm "...I'd suggest one or the other. Green or Black. Malachite? BR green?"
I’ve stared dozily at the thing in primer for weeks – and then gone for another interpretation of ‘large logo’, BR mixed traffic, lined black (as usual), which makes sense, sort of. It’s not an express passenger engine, after all.

Tank engines don’t generally get named but clearly the chaps at Waterloo decided this class were special enough, so it’s from the ‘Distinguished Literary Figures associated with the Southern Railway Area' class (they’ll have come up with a snappier title than that). Predictably, as you can see, this one’s ‘Jane Austen’.

Lining and graphics done in Photoshop, assembled into an A4 ‘page’, exported to PDF and inkjet printed on to white decal paper. Had to be careful (and quick) not to cause ‘stretch marks’, when applying the particularly long decals (the ink and varnish surface can split revealing the white layer underneath, if you fiddle with them for too long). Fortunately I’d printed off duplicates. A lot of white edges to touch up afterwards, unavoidably.

R/C still to be fitted, should be here soon, one hopes.

If some of Bulleid’s bonkers reinventions of the (British) steam locomotive had been properly developed and in service, who knows... Perhaps British Railways might have removed the ‘air-smoothed’ cladding in the mid 50s, or built BR Standard 0-4-4-0s and 0-6-6-0s?

Now there’s an idea for another one.

I’m assuming the panels between the bogies incorporate lift-up flaps, allowing access to the ashpan and other gubbins hiding down there
I’m assuming the panels between the bogies incorporate lift-up flaps, allowing access to the ashpan and other gubbins hiding down there
1_WW_91A.jpg (219.49 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Wilco rattlecan black; inkjet printed, Photoshopped decals; matt varnish
Wilco rattlecan black; inkjet printed, Photoshopped decals; matt varnish
4_WW_85A.jpg (251.89 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Difficult to photograph without it looking like a murky black blob; hence the added 'brightness'
Difficult to photograph without it looking like a murky black blob; hence the added 'brightness'
3_WW_67A.jpg (258.44 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Love the curved sides on Bulleids. The Brighton-designed Standard 2-6-4T has them too, which I imagine isn’t a coincidence
Love the curved sides on Bulleids. The Brighton-designed Standard 2-6-4T has them too, which I imagine isn’t a coincidence
5_WW_77A.jpg (161.84 KiB) Viewed 4097 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:46 am

Looks stunning in black as do the decals. Looking forward to the video ..... 😊

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 pm

Thanks again for all the generous comments.
invicta280 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:34 pm "...interesting and refreshingly different"
Thank you very much.

Anyway, here’s the present Bulleid line up, with (now rather scruffy looking) similarly semi-scale Leader and Q1 tank. It wasn’t planned, it just sort of happened that way (other locomotive designers are available). Cheers.

13_WW_90A.jpg
13_WW_90A.jpg (244.2 KiB) Viewed 4048 times