ALDI rechargeable batteries

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

ALDI rechargeable batteries

Post by gregh » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:57 am

Not sure if this is the correct place for discussing batteries but I can't see any better.
I assume you have Aldi stores in UK, so this may be of interest to you.

I have been using used Hobbyking AA size rechargeable, NiMH cells – rated at 2550 mAh and designated Long Shelf Life, in my locos for years. They used to cost around 1.80 USD – say 2.70AUD. When I went to order some recently, they cost 2.92 AUD and only available from Hong Kong with costly postage. To buy eight cells, they would have cost me over 5AUD per cell incl postage!

A friend has been using rechargeable NiMH from Aldi. So I bought 2 packs of 4, at 6AUD/pack or 1.50 each cell. Branded “Active Energy”. They are only 2100 mAh capacity but are marked as “Low self discharge”. (you should be able to take half the AUD value to get GBP.)
aldi battery pack $6.JPG
aldi battery pack $6.JPG (58.19 KiB) Viewed 4722 times

aldi battery.JPG
aldi battery.JPG (68.87 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
WARNING: The red band is the NEGATIVE!

I soldered the 8 cells in series. As supplied, they were charged at 1.25V/cell. I tested their internal resistance at 0.4 ohms, which is pretty good for 8 cells.
I then fully charged them to 1.45V/cell. Then discharged them at 0.5A taking out 1800mAh. The end voltage was 1.20V/cell. That seemed to indicate the 2100mAh rating is correct.

My diesel loco #8 batteries have ‘had it’ (after 9 years) so I used the eight Aldi cells to replace them. (the old 8 cells test at 4.1 ohms internal resistance 10 times the new ones!)
There are 4 cells in each end of the loco. I soldered, cleaned with metho and vaselined the connections. (Note - they are nipple type, but I have never had problems soldering to the nipples or the flat neg ends.)
yel diesel3.JPG
yel diesel3.JPG (158.81 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
After about a 1 hour run, they took 600mAh to recharge.

Time will tell how they last.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

philipy

Re: ALDI rechargeable batteries

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:26 am

Interesting Greg, thanks.
FWIW, yes we do have hundreds of Aldi's here and they are multiplying fast! I've just done a quick on-line check and they don't appear to do rechargeables here although there are ordinary non-rechargeables listed. as"Activ energy". It does occur to me that they may possibly have them in-store but not online due to postal restrictions?

However for anyone interested, I do have rechargeables from Lidl ( another German discounter) which I bought a couple of years ago following a "Which" survey of the best brands. They've been fine although I've never done any scientific testing. They are "Tronic Eco Rechargeable Batteries Mignon Ni-Mh" and I've got 2400mAh AA's and 950mAh AAA's
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks Greg. Anne is going to Aldi later so I will ask her to keep an eye out for them. :thumbright:

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:39 pm

I should have mentioned that I found mine in among all the other non-rechargeable batteries, at just one of the checkouts.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:02 am

I can heartily recommend the Lidl Tronic LSD cells.
I use them in most of my steamers and several battery diesels.

They do, of course, come under the "specials" category, just a couple of times a year.

I've never seen rechargeables in Aldi, although I think their alkalines are a good buy.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:32 am

I have some old Aldi batteries labelled "Ultracell" rated at 2500mAHr (AA) and 900mAHr (AAA), I bought then when I first started battery R/C and G scale around 2009.
I have not treated them real well and they still perform.
Every Aldi I have been in has the rechargables and the alkalines next to the checkouts.
I have seen the new rechargeables at Aldi for about 3 years now but I have had no need to buy any.
Thanks for the warning about the Hobbyking price hike, I use their LSD batteries in all my transmitters so maybe its time for a change when they Hobbyking ones need replacing.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html