Peckett Body Build - First Attempt - NOW FINISHED Pictures page 6

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Peckett Body Build - First Attempt - NOW FINISHED Pictures page 6

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:15 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:52 pm You certainly need to sort out the gearbox as the running doesn't do the loco justice after all the work you put into the look of the loco.
Couldn't agree more, but as I said, I kinda knew it was on the cards before I started the project. The motor and gearbox came with the chassis, but I have never had any luck with 15:1 ratio gearboxes in loco's unless they have tiny drive wheels. They need torque, not speed. :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Slow running all sorted out now. 30:1 ratio gearbox fitted, the quartering played with a smidge and a proper oiling after its paint session as I forgot to re-oil it after cleaning and spraying. Runs perfectly now, super controllable and doesn't fly off like a runaway anymore.

Have to put a big thumps up to my step father who we went to see today as he did the quartering for me and supplied the gearbox :thumbup: :thumbleft: :thumbup: :thumbleft:

Couldn't take a video as it started raining :(

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Looking forward to seeing the final version video.
Where did your step father get the 30:1 box from? I've got one of those chassis and I've always thought it could do with a better gear box.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:47 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm Looking forward to seeing the final version video.
Where did your step father get the 30:1 box from? I've got one of those chassis and I've always thought it could do with a better gear box.
Can't wait to do the final video now, just waiting on the good weather, might be a long wait at this rate, lol. :D

The gearbox. My step father actually builds his own chassis. He uses the MFA Como motors and gearboxes and has a number of these on his bits and bobs shelf, so he gave me a new motor and gearbox and said to put the gearbox in mine. I know he buys them from MFA Como direct at a cost of £11.74, plus P&P, you have a choice of voltage and gearbox when you buy. Pretty sure its the 918Dyyxxx, yy being the gearbox ratio and the xxx covering the voltage, something like that. Hope that helps?

(it might be 918Dxxxyy, which covers the ratio and voltage, but its along those lines. I know my ones are 918D15112/1 and I need the 918D30112/1, as I use the 12V motors and like a 30:1 ratio.)

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 pm

-steves- wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:47 pm (it might be 918Dxxxyy, which covers the ratio and voltage, but its along those lines. I know my ones are 918D15112/1 and I need the 918D30112/1, as I use the 12V motors and like a 30:1 ratio.)
I don't know why some manufacturers use such low ratios as 16:1. Then again, I've never understood why some modellers use extremely high ratios and run the motor at such high revs that it makes a fair impersonation of a dentist's drill........

The way MFA-Como design their gearbox series usually means it is easy to exchange them for a different ratio, but you shouldn't have to...... :roll:

I design my electric chassis for about 250 rpm at the driving wheels, which gives nice scale speeds, without the motor screaming it's head off. The reduction used varies from 30:1 for the 25 mm dia. 918D series, up to 60:1 for the faster revving 12mm motor in the 951D series.

The MFA-Como data sheets for each motor/gearbox are available for download on their website. They give electrical and rpm data, as well as drawings, which are useful for working out what fits in a small chassis.

https://www.mfacomodrills.com/gearboxes/gearboxes.html

Regards,
Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:31 pm

OK, so a video of it finally running as it should in my opinion. Very pleased with it, less pleased with next doors noisy dog. I suggest turning the volume down or off towards the end if you don't like dogs barking loudly! To be fair it's not that bad in the garden, but the phones microphone seems to single the noise out :(

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:05 am

Well, Steve going back to your weathering. Sorry I haven't responded sooner on it. (My short stay in hospital) since you did the weathering.

I think you have done a brilliant job on the final paint work. For a first attempt at using an airbrush, it puts to shame those of us who have been airbrushing fo some years. I said about taking your time and don't rush it and you have pulled it off to exhibition standard in my eyes.

I agree you should put a write up in Garden Rail and SMT. Your thread on the build has been great to read and watch your progress, even the little mishaps. Most don't say anything about doing them.

Well done mate and looking forward to your next build.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:37 am

FWLR wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:05 am Well, Steve going back to your weathering. Sorry I haven't responded sooner on it. (My short stay in hospital) since you did the weathering.

I think you have done a brilliant job on the final paint work. For a first attempt at using an airbrush, it puts to shame those of us who have been airbrushing fo some years. I said about taking your time and don't rush it and you have pulled it off to exhibition standard in my eyes.

I agree you should put a write up in Garden Rail and SMT. Your thread on the build has been great to read and watch your progress, even the little mishaps. Most don't say anything about doing them.

Well done mate and looking forward to your next build.
Hi Rod

First and foremost, I do hope you are well and recovering from your hospital visit?

Thank you for your very kind words about this build, greatly appreciated and I even got goose bumps reading your post as it was so favorable and humbling.

Hopefully the build will be in a magazine in the next few months, not sure when, but I was told it will be published.

The mishaps happen, with me quite a lot, the latest one chewed the top of the skin on my finger in the mill, no real damage, but still very painful and has put a hold on the current Wild Rose build until the flesh and skin regrows a bit. Here is the Wild Rose build in case you want to have a peek at the latest build. This one will take take quite some time due to the costs involved as I have no end of tooling to purchase as well as most of the raw materials, that's putting aside the considerable time it will take to make all the components. https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 25&t=12347

All the best
Steve

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:03 am

Just had a look Steve, bet there was a few choice words. Seriously though, when I worked on Flat grinders and Central Lathe Grinders, the first thing the old Engineer told me was " They don't have any feeling, so take your time and always think" That was some of the best advice I got in my life.

Now I really must get off the forum, I have getting very tired.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Keep your eyes peeled in the next Garden Rail magazine. Say no more. :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 13, 2019 7:03 pm

-steves- wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 pm Keep your eyes peeled in the next Garden Rail magazine. Say no more. :thumbup:
Intriguing...... :?:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 13, 2019 7:08 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:03 pm
-steves- wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 pm Keep your eyes peeled in the next Garden Rail magazine. Say no more. :thumbup:
Intriguing...... :?:

Rik
You have already seen it though, very pleased with the way it turned out :)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm

I can't find Garden Rail on any local bookshelves, is it subscription only?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm I can't find Garden Rail on any local bookshelves, is it subscription only?
My step father buys it off the shelf but I am not sure where from, I will ask and find out. :thumbup:

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm I can't find Garden Rail on any local bookshelves, is it subscription only?
I don't recall seeing it in newsagents, but then again I can't remember the the last time I went in WH Smith! I know that GRS in Princes Risborough have it on the shelf and I'd guess that other garden railway shops might also, but I suspect that won't be much help in deepest Welsh Wales, sorry .
Philip

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 am

I do have a subscription to Garden Rail but only because I prefer a digital version, no piles of magazines lying around to upset certain people! Here in West Norfolk (UK) suprisingly my local corner newsagent has it on his shelf and certainly it's available in W.H.Smith.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 14, 2019 7:52 am

I get mine on subscription and online also. You can pay just once to get a copy online or do has I did and get it for 12 months. Though I haven't got this months yet, it is usually a day later.

I get my online issue from Pocketmags, there are others.

https://pocketmags.com/membersarea/myissues/3098

I will send you my copy of the magazine Peter when I have finished with it if you like.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I have tried several potential outlets locally including Morrisons and W.H.Smiths with no luck but I will try again. If I still fail in my quest perhaps Rod will be kind enough to pass on his well thumbed copy in exchange for something?
Thanks for the offer Rod.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am Thanks for the replies guys, I have tried several potential outlets locally including Morrisons and W.H.Smiths with no luck but I will try again. If I still fail in my quest perhaps Rod will be kind enough to pass on his well thumbed copy in exchange for something?
Thanks for the offer Rod.
Peter forget about all the information about getting it from W.H. Smiths and other places.

I will send you my copy and you will see how to subscribe in there. You can get a discount for subscribing and you can get a free gift....You might want to share.... :lol: :lol:

I will send it to you at the end of the week Peter.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 am

Thank you Rod, most grateful.