Peckett Body Build - First Attempt - NOW FINISHED Pictures page 6

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Peckett Body Build - First Attempt

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:15 pm

It would be too much to expect a first attempt to achieve perfection but you have managed to make a well designed and constructed loco, as well as learning a great deal on the way. Remember that the paint and finishing will add to the overall presentation which will also help you feel proud of your work. I can see this will be the first of many.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 am

-steves- wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 pm Indeed, and the easier and faster, maybe even safer ways are something I would love to learn properly. It's at times like this I wish I have taken up metalwork at school all those years ago :lol:

I can't find any trace of those books for sale, well not at sensible prices and I am not paying nearly £200 for it. If there is anything still in production that you think may help then by all means let me know, though maybe I should be looking through YouTube videos for some guidance too,
The loco is coming along nicely. You are progressing pretty fast for someone that has limited time in the workshop..... :shock:

My secondary school didn't teach metalwork in my time, but both my brothers went to the same school some years later and were able to do the class....... :roll:

There are bookshops (especially in the US) that think any greasy old model engineering book must be worth it's weight in platinum. I usually search on ABE books for this sort of book and there are a couple at about 20 quid on there at present.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... &sortby=93

There are scans of some LBSC magazine article series online here, if the lawyers haven't shut him down. Might be worth reading them before spending cash, as you may not find them as useful as I do.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/LBSCEngines.html

The best books on building miniature steam locos that I've read are those by Kozo Hiraoka, but they aren't cheap. Camden sell them in the UK. https://www.camdenmin.co.uk

I'm not a Youtube fan, but you could try Frank Hoose's clips, which are mini lathe and mini mill specific. He also runs the Mini-Lathe.com website which I found useful when I bought my lathe and mill. http://www.mini-lathe.com/Home/

There's also a stack of Youtube clips on workshop practice under the username mrpete222, but more related to larger machines.

Youtube's search algorithm can come up with some strange recommendations, but over time sort of homes in on what you are interested in watching.

Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am

I'll echo Peter and Graeme's comments. All things considered, your progress is impressive in terms of both quantity and quality. Those doors (smokebox and firebox) look really neat.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:23 pm

Rik & Peter, thank you so much, it's good fun and to be fair it is better than I initially anticipated. I am not sure what I was expecting, maybe something that would end up in the bin and I would know not to try it again.

Graeme, thank you for all the links, I will be having a look shortly at them all and seeing what's about.

Today, a bit more trial and error.

I made a lever, a gauge glass (obviously a fake one) and tried to make a spring hanger, not all that well though on the latter. The roof vent is not finished and is just put in place to see how it might look.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:10 pm

A bit more done today.

I think it was Tom who said to do the roof on magnets, what a great idea that has turned out to be, so easy and works like a charm, thank you :)

Managed to get a few little bits done, the front of the smoke box door, the fake reversing gear all done, a regulator handle and a couple of steps.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am

Well I think that's all the parts made now, some final fettling will be required, but we are getting there :)

I am thinking of doing it plain black, with brass a chimney top and brass spectacles. I am very open to ideas on paint at this stage as I have no idea what will look best, do you have any thoughts, if so, please do post up and let me know.

I looked at all the parts I had made so far and thought, do you know, if I got that lot in a fittings kit with a loco, I would be quite pleased with them. One or two mishaps along the way, one or two short cuts along the way but still much better than I originally had hoped for.

In the pictures not much is actually in place as most of it will be sprayed first and the finished from there, so don't worry about things not being central or lined up, they are not fixed. The final result prior to paint has been quite pleasing for me and I hope paint wise I do it justice.

I am going to cheat and actually buy the springs for the loco as I found them too difficult to make in the way I tried, maybe there are easier ways, but I don't know them, lol :lol:

Any further updates may now be some time off as paint takes me ages to do which is down to the drying time I give between coats, reliance on dry wind free weather and the fact I only ever spray a few bits at a time due to a lack of space to hang them to dry. I am also quite busy over the next few days and won't be at home much due to family commitments and appointments.

I do hope you have enjoyed my journey thus far :thumbup:

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am

Steve can I just say that you have done an excellent job with your loco.
For a first attempt it's absolutely brilliant, the amount of detail and skill put into it is first class.. :thumbright:

Black would be an excellent choice my friend.. Matt preferably.....

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:26 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am Steve can I just say that you have done an excellent job with your loco.
For a first attempt it's absolutely brilliant, the amount of detail and skill put into it is first class.. :thumbright:

Black would be an excellent choice my friend.. Matt preferably.....
Thank you Rod, very kind words indeed. Comments like that certainly make me proud of my work as others see it from a different perspective to me, I just see the gaps, errors, scratches, things that a millimeter out and things like that, the bits I wish I had done better. It's great to hear it from an unbiased point of view.

I have added some hand rails (from Roundhouse) and some springs (from GRS) and everything is pretty much in its place now, all be it, not bolted or glued down until after paint. I am thinking of adding a shelf inside the cab, some gauges in the cab and some rivet detailing on the buffer beams, I guess a job is never finished, :lol:

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 pm

-steves- wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am I am thinking of doing it plain black, with brass a chimney top and brass spectacles. I am very open to ideas on paint at this stage as I have no idea what will look best, do you have any thoughts, if so, please do post up and let me know.
That has come up very nicely and there is really nothing that suggests it is a first attempt. I know I wouldn't have gotten it to that stage so quickly.

In terms of colour, black would match the diesel in your avatar....... ;)

If you are limited to whatever paint colours you can get in a spray can then weathered satin black like your diesel would look like a hard working, but well maintained loco.

If you use an airbrush then the world is your oyster and you can mix your own colours. I paint my black steam locos in four shades of black, in varying degrees of satin finish. The most recent example being this one.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11815

Regards,
Graeme

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Wow. I’ve had enough problems attempting some of this stuff in plastic, let alone bleedin’ metalwork. Terrific.

(First kit I attempted was the easy-to-build, GRS plasticard version of a Peckett like this and even that just about drove me insane)

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Steve,

The quality and speed of your work are incredible. Very well done. Very Impressive.
Ian

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 pm

BertieB wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:57 pm Wow. I’ve had enough problems attempting some of this stuff in plastic, let alone bleedin’ metalwork. Terrific.

(First kit I attempted was the easy-to-build, GRS plasticard version of a Peckett like this and even that just about drove me insane)
Thank you very much indeed for the very kind words :)

The basic shape and sizes are the same as the GRS 3D printed kit, so I guess the overall loco would look very similar when finished. :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:30 pm

IanC wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:23 pm Steve,

The quality and speed of your work are incredible. Very well done. Very Impressive.
The speed was faster than I expected too, to be honest, it went quite smoothly compared to how I thought it was going to be. Thank you for the very kind words. :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 pm

GTB wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 pm
-steves- wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am I am thinking of doing it plain black, with brass a chimney top and brass spectacles. I am very open to ideas on paint at this stage as I have no idea what will look best, do you have any thoughts, if so, please do post up and let me know.
That has come up very nicely and there is really nothing that suggests it is a first attempt. I know I wouldn't have gotten it to that stage so quickly.

In terms of colour, black would match the diesel in your avatar....... ;)

If you are limited to whatever paint colours you can get in a spray can then weathered satin black like your diesel would look like a hard working, but well maintained loco.

If you use an airbrush then the world is your oyster and you can mix your own colours. I paint my black steam locos in four shades of black, in varying degrees of satin finish. The most recent example being this one.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11815

Regards,
Graeme
Thanks Graeme, coming from someone who can and has built in metal before, that means a lot. I have a great deal of respect for anyone that can do this sort of thing as I know for sure it's harder than it looks.

Colour I agree, a nice mat black would suit, maybe with red buffer beams and red connecting rods. I do have an airbrush, no idea how good it is as I have never used it. Had it for a few years now, that and a little compressor to run it on. I say I have one, but in fact I have two that came in a kit together, maybe it's about time I dusted it off, took it out the box and actually tried it ;)

I will spend some time looking at your link to see if it gives me any pointers and direction for what I may be about to attempt. I usually use spray cans, so this will be a massive step if I airbrush it as well :shock:

The picture below is the avatar picture, my only ever attempt at weathering. Not sure how good or bad it was, but it just never looked like I had hoped it to look, it just looks dirty rather than weathered :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:18 am

Again Steve for a first attempt that's great, although maybe not to much rust on the chassis maybe. But all in all a great job... :thumbright: :thumbright:

I have seen worse Steve believe me.......... :roll:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 am

She looks great in her final form. As others have said, it's certainly not displaying any indications of a first effort. You'll maybe need to plug a few gaps with filler but I suspect even the most experienced modellers would need to do that. Can't wait to see here in workshop grey. I like Graeme's idea of fifty shades of black.... :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:18 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 am She looks great in her final form. As others have said, it's certainly not displaying any indications of a first effort. You'll maybe need to plug a few gaps with filler but I suspect even the most experienced modellers would need to do that. Can't wait to see here in workshop grey. I like Graeme's idea of fifty shades of black.... :lol:

Rik
As you say, a touch of filler here and there, not sure what to do about the gap between the cab and the saddle tank, maybe run a small brass strip around the edge to fill it, that's what I do for diesels and say it's a rubber expansion strip, lol ;) Will have to be very small as it has to miss the rivets, maybe just leave it as it as, once it's black it won't stand out as bad as it does now. Also made a couple of gauges and a shelf for the cab today, pretty happy with those :) Thanks for the idea Graeme for the shelf :)

It is also now completely wired up, obviously on plugs so I can remove it as need be, but it charges with the switch left and is on with the switch to the right, so that's all good :)

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:22 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:18 am Again Steve for a first attempt that's great, although maybe not to much rust on the chassis maybe. But all in all a great job... :thumbright: :thumbright:

I have seen worse Steve believe me.......... :roll:
Like I said, weathering is not my thing, never been any good with a paint brush from early days. Give me a bit of wood, plastic or it appears now even metal and I am right at home :)

We shall see how this new one goes, but the multi shades of black is looking like it's worth a try, maybe :scratch:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:30 am

Mmmmm, I little tip if I may Steve.

Try some weathering on a scrap bit of brass that's been well cleaned and build up has you go. You will be suppressed how quickly you can see it weather. You can also see how much or little you would need to use on your models.

It's the same with the multi shades of black.....

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 am

Chemically blacken it!