Now....what should i do with this?

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Big Jim

Re: Now....what should i do with this?

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 pm

I have converted most of my big big stuff (except the hymeks) to use AA batteries. This means that I don't have to worry about keeping a stock of C cells about the place. I find modern hi capacity AA cells are fine for a good long run.
The other little issue with some of the big big bodies ia that they can be a little tight over 4x C cells. It tends to be more of a problem with the novo versions and can result in a split body. I don't know if modern batteries are a fraction wider than those from the 1970's or that as the moulds wore out the plastic got thicker.
It is worth noting that they run on 3v despite having 4 batteries. I don't know what the technical terms is but they are 2 series pairs in parallel.
I do find that they run at a more prototypical speed on 3v than 6v (well 2.4v and 4.8v with rechargeables). So what I have done is use a pair of 2 x AA battery holders wired in parallel. You can run on 2 batteries but will obviously allow for more playtime between charges.
A bit of added ballast does help if you go down this route.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 am

Cheers Jim - great feedback - on a quick test the 2xC battery seemed more than enough umph for this little loco - I think I'll be using it as a PW gang loco with fairly light loads that would run at slow speeds so that seems ideal

Also using AA's will create more space for other goodies under the bonnet - I've seen a standalone sound unit that runs off button batteries using motion sensorshttp://www.dcpexpress.com/sfx11-steam-f ... p-602.html and I'm thinking of maybe playing with a smoke generator on this one to try something a bit different - again with its own power unit - they will be definitely phase 2 though!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 am

Mark,
That sound unit sounds very interesting. Have you actually heard any of their products?
Philip

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am

There are two youtube videos on this page near the bottom - shows how it works - quite clever and doesn't need wiring in

http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/sound

Looks simple enough - just not sure how loud it will be - sounds ok on the video but thats inside - it doesn't have to be too loud for me as I'm sure my neighbours would get fed up after a bit of constant sound, but it would be nice to have some 'scale; sound - they do a few different units

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 am

Sounds quite nice. It would be nice to be able to run it off rechargeables, so you don't need access to the unit when the battery goes flat, but I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to do a quick mod.
Philip

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Progress update

Post by markoteal » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 am

Didn't get to spend too long on this project over the weekend

Managed to reprime to bring the riveting into grey then I started on applying theain colour - used Ford Burgundy rattle spray as CHLR's equivalent to Victorian Maroon - looked alright when i did it by eye (slightly lighter than my RH Millie ) but had a shock when I photo graphed it - just goes to show the difference between artificial and natural light - the first two photos are under workbench lighting whilst the third is in natural day light - just goes to show the difference.

In the last one you can start to see my (well Ernie, the works painter, who you can see in the last pic busy on the panel) black painting work on the smokebox and rear panel - next step is sorting painting etc. the inside of the cab before assembly and brassing the dome and maybe the bands on the boiler (gulps)
IMG_2109.JPG
IMG_2109.JPG (461.69 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG (397.8 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG (436.03 KiB) Viewed 4752 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:30 pm

What a fine looking model this is becoming.

.If you were thinking of rechargeable batteries, you could always install a couple of AA sized (14500) lI-ions wired in parallel to give you twice the running time on 3.7v. You'd need a battery protection board to prevent them from becoming overly discharged unless you were planning to install r/c in which case something like a Deltang rx would provide low voltage cut-off protection.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Cheers Rik - I'm sure when I get to the power refurb part of the project, I'll be back in touch to check out my simple plans make sense - its my weakest area, wiring/batteries so will be happy of some suitable prods!

Ta

Mark

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

markoteal wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm Cheers Rik - I'm sure when I get to the power refurb part of the project, I'll be back in touch to check out my simple plans make sense - its my weakest area, wiring/batteries so will be happy of some suitable prods!
Ta
Mark
More than happy to prod if required.
Rik
------------------------

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:35 pm

Quick update and then a question or two for those with 'sparky' interest on battery locos (Jim/Rik I'm looking in your direction)

Firstly the body of the loco is coming together - all main parts have been painted externally and I've added some lamp brackets....... but I still fancy doing one more covering of Burgundy before I do brassing and more black - and a few bits of filling need doing - but its coming on - decided this will be loco no.5 and called Meteor (following on from Spitfire, our Millie and to compliment the mid build Hunslet that will be no. 6 called Wellington - after much research of Quarry Hunslets) - this allows me to continue with the theme of WW2 Allied Planes - here are a couple of pics - like before, the colour under artificial light is quite pink, in reality its nearer a classic maroon
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2148.JPG (127.73 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
IMG_2149.JPG
IMG_2149.JPG (125.77 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG (124.45 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
Now onto the chassis - I have a query to the sparky/big big train modders out there (Rik/Jim, you are on!)

Here are some pics of the chassis
IMG_2151.JPG
IMG_2151.JPG (136.44 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
IMG_2153.JPG
IMG_2153.JPG (128.35 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
IMG_2155.JPG
IMG_2155.JPG (129.38 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
On tests I have run on 2 C batteries - ideally I'd like to move to AA batteries (initially externally charged but eventually with a charging socket/circuit built in

What are the suggestions to move from the current set up to an AA approach - which bits of brass do I need to get rid of, how do I deal with the current on/off and direction arrangements - I know I need a DPDT switch to do that with the lovely cross over wiring and joyous soldering - but how do I do the surgery to get to the motor and the right bits to run wires from

Any help/advice gratefully received!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Mark, if you want to play around with it bring it my way.

One thing I can do is electrics after much trial and error.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Mark, I love what you are doing to this loco, what a transformation..... Firstly I agree you are asking advice from the two who are best qualified to show you the way, Rik and Jim. Just to add my twopennorth, I will say this only to reassure you that it is not as daunting as you imagine, if I can do it so can you!
Firstly decide on your required voltage.... I try to use 12v (10 x 1.2v recharegeable) if possible, and it seems you have the space. There gives enough power to run my locos for hours. I would suggest you remove all of the present connectors and use a battery pack with something to keep it in place. You shouldn't need to access the motor, just the leads, which you can connect to a switch and power pack. Also a recharge plug can be built in at this stage.
Hre are a couple of pictures to show how I managed to fit everything into my tram loco which started out as a 12v track powered chassis.....
IMG_4597.JPG
IMG_4597.JPG (153.46 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
IMG_4606.JPG
IMG_4606.JPG (89.39 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
On another chassis I fitted the switch and recharge points to the underside of the loco....
IMG_4768.JPG
IMG_4768.JPG (136.32 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
With the connections tucked neatly away inside....
IMG_4770.JPG
IMG_4770.JPG (141.74 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
These are all the connections you need to make it work including a R/C receiver unit (not shown).
For full wiring instruction consult one of the 'Masters'
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:41 pm

With an offer like that I can't really add much else.

However for what it is worth. The plate that the switches are attached too should lift off once you undo the two screws that hold the switch arms. Find the two motor wires, they should be red and blue and snip off at the switch end. The contacts wires are probably going to be green. Remove these as well.

The contacts can be removed by drilling out the rivets. So this carefully as the plastic can get quite brittle.

In my experience it is better to lengthen the motor wires if nessercery than to try and replace from the motor end as the motor often has a funny little nylon cable clamp attached that is difficult to remove without damage and soldering with it in situ will melt it.

Decide how may batteries you want. If you are going to use rechargeable and fit radio gear then 4 would be best. Just switched, then 2 will be fine.

If Tom is offering help, pack it all up, pick up a couple of bottles of light ale and head over there. :D
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks guys - great examples and advice there Peter and some specifics about that chassis from you Jim and of course thanks Tom, I see you as my emergency service on this one - once I try and get stuck, I'll be following Jim's advice and dive into the car and head over - I'll probably start next weekend as have various family taxi duties this weekend

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 am

No problem mate, good luck.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Sorry, only just caught up with this thread.

I concur with what has already been said. Personally, like Peter, I would go for rechargeables preferably with in-situ charging. However, if you're not at ease with that then the alternative would be to get a battery box for the required number of cells and wire that in. Then you can remove the batteries for charging and/or use non rechargeables.

Rik
------------------------

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Cheers Rik - yes I think I'm going for the rechargeable ones inside permanently - I think that a number of suppliers do a wiring loom with most of the soldering done - I just connect up the motor/battery wires to it along the lines Peter and Jim have outlined. At this stage I'm not opting for RC on this one as it'll be used less than the others that do have RC

I did something similar with the two battery ones I built a while ago - my challenge with this one was dismantling the existing 1960's set up for C batteries - armed with all your responses, I'm confident enough to give it a go - and I have my safety net of Tom 40 mins away!

I'll see if I can do my shopping this weekend so I can have a go next weekend

Mark

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:46 pm

:thumbup:

I just want you to come and play trains really :mrgreen:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:52 pm

You know you can come and play trains when you want! :D

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 pm

markoteal wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:40 pm Cheers Rik - yes I think I'm going for the rechargeable ones inside permanently - I think that a number of suppliers do a wiring loom with most of the soldering done - I just connect up the motor/battery wires to it along the lines Peter and Jim have outlined. At this stage I'm not opting for RC on this one as it'll be used less than the others that do have RC
Mark
Sounds like a good plan. You can always add r/c at a later date. She is a lovely looking loco, though you might find the motor and mech is a bit underpowered.

Rik
------------------------