Railbus for the PMR

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Railbus for the PMR

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 pm

I think I would go for straight, however the drop curves are easy if you have a cheap plastic compass-cutter. This are available from Olfa, Rolson and some own brands (one page google search prices £3.xx to £6.xx).

I am sure expensive metal versions are better but I rarely use them so bought the cheap plastic type, but when I do need them I really appreciate even the plastic Olfa one I have. There is a knack to using them.

If you try to cut too deeply it twists and distorts the arc. But using shallow cuts I produced the same shape in 1mm ply for the front-trim for my observation coach. The same in thin platicard should be a doddle if it copes with the weft-and-warp of the ply. In fact I just remembered I did one in plasticard for a lining template for the observation coach trim.

Some sized lozenges can be produced quickly in thin plastic card by making a rectangle then using a paper-punch to nibble a quarter circle off each corner of the rectangle. I used this to produce “cast iron” maker’s plates for a plastic card water-tank for the RLR running shed
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The doors have been filled again and so are now drying but I have managed to have a bash at the steps.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Admire you determination Jimbo, I would of shelved this one by now!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:49 pm

It has been tempting on many occasions.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Nice steps - how do they line up with your platform heights?
Where did I put that uncoupler?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:57 pm

At this point I am hoping for the reply...

"PLATFORMS?"

;)

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:04 pm

I have always imagined the PMR to have very little in the way of platforms. Something rail height possibly but lots of little halts with nothing more than a sign.

Something that our colonial cousins call a flag line I think.

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:00 am

Nice job on the steps Jim I admire your drive as I know you have had to start a fresh on some of the parts but its all paying Jim. :thumbup:
Regards
Kevin

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:32 am

Steps look good Jim
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:04 am

A pair of nice brass handrails will finish that off well.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:45 am

The only platforms you see for trams are those new trams in service now, in particular Manchester and now in Blackpool, I am sure there are others, but when I lived in Blackpool you had to get on the tram with no platforms. :thumbright: :thumbright:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:30 pm

I've got around to adding a new chassis stop my Railbus - it came from a construction express train set I picked up before Christmas from Tesco Online - a number of people on the 16MM have acquired these - it includes a powerful powered bogie as well as some track that can be used for display - also a useful hopper wagon as well as a crane that can be detailed into a 16mm outline and have bogies added - Tesco's have them periodically, also Home Bargains - I paid £15 for mine!

https://www.tesco.com/direct/cat-constr ... rce=others

Anyway I digress - the chassis is now on, I've wired in some batteries and a deltang (look at me, twiddling with electrics)
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (117.99 KiB) Viewed 7255 times
Works well on the test bench but I tried a track test today, the power bogie keeps popping out - appears I'm out of gauge - a quick shout on Facebook to other users of this motor bogie and it appears like i need to squeeze the wheels in a vice a bit!

I'll update you on how the squeeze goes!

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 am

I like the look of it with a pair of matching bogies, Mark.
I clicked your Tesco link to see the origin and I do vaguely remember seeing them in Tesco at the end of last year. However the link you provided has a notice that says "We no longer sell this product" so it must have been a limited Christmas offering.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 am

Deltang, railbus = shuttle mode

Our Rik explains all:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:18 am

philipy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 am I like the look of it with a pair of matching bogies, Mark.
I clicked your Tesco link to see the origin and I do vaguely remember seeing them in Tesco at the end of last year. However the link you provided has a notice that says "We no longer sell this product" so it must have been a limited Christmas offering.
Yes Phil - yes the chassis looks good under there and virtually a match size wise

You are right re Tesco stocking them - they seem to come and go - the guys on the Facebook group normally do an announcement when they are in stock again so when i see the next reveal, I'll do a post on here - as I'm still getting the gauge spot on and it looks as though I may need to reduce the flange height on the wheels, I wouldn't want anyone rushing out to get one without knowing the full pros and cons - the non powered bogie is fine as I can swap out those wheels with some from a supplier that will run happily on Peco Sm32 - on the powered bogie, I don't think I can get them out so may have get busy with a file or maybe run the set at speed against some sandpaper - whats annoying is that when I stripped back the chassis, it seemed to run fine with just two batteries on top - galloped off around the line no bother - its seems the additional weight of the body, and the battery pack maybe spreading things out a bit more and pushing down the flanges onto the chairs - nothing a bit of fettling can't solve I''d hope - after completing my soldering and deltang set up, I'm not letting this one beat me!

Tom - oooooo - hadn't thought shuttle and deltang -- once i have the bogies sorted, I'll give Rik a viewing

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:28 am

markoteal wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:18 am Tom - oooooo - hadn't thought shuttle and deltang -- once i have the bogies sorted, I'll give Rik a viewing
I also blogged about it here - https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... -with.html

Looks more complicated than it needs to be. No need to use a Prog4, much easier to use a Tx20 or even a Tx22 for the programming. Looks like I might need to make another video and or blog post about it.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Ok Rik - I've watched the video and read the blog and ................... #excited_about_the_possibilities

Interested how I do shuttle and station stops without needing prog4 - just using my Tx20

However, no rush............ as i still have to resolve my chair bashing flanges yet

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:40 pm

A quick update - now managed to sort the flanges and gauge issues - pics of a quick proving run up and down the line this weekend - sits nicely on the The Tesco Online Construction Express chassis - just need to sort some steps in for passengers like Jim's

Video to follow
train 1.png
train 1.png (291.49 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
train2.png
train2.png (372.29 KiB) Viewed 5998 times
train1.png
train1.png (388.45 KiB) Viewed 5998 times

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 pm

That does look good.

I actually managed to get into the shed and do an hour on mine today, the first bit of 16mm modelling I have managed since Christmas. A huge workload, plus a dose of ill health managed to preclude anything for the past month or so.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

And here is a quick video