IP Engineering Rail Bus

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
User avatar
philipy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: South Northants
Contact:

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Jimmyb wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:50 pm

I have a question for builders of these "wooden" kits, the instructions talk about using superglue or two-part epoxy, I would have though a good water proof PVA, thoughts please:
I've never actually built one although i do have a couple in stock to do and PVA would be my first thought. OTOH, superglue does set faster, IF you can keep it under control ( something I always find difficult).

Peter B is the expert with mdf kits.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:57 pm

philipy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 pm
Jimmyb wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:50 pm

I have a question for builders of these "wooden" kits, the instructions talk about using superglue or two-part epoxy, I would have though a good water proof PVA, thoughts please.
Peter B is the expert with mdf kits.
Expert.... no, experienced..... yes!

Like all simple questions there are numerous possible answers. I am a strong supporter of PVA adhesive and whenever I can I do prefer to use it. True it takes longer to set and needs to be held in position whist drying, it gives a stronger joint over its entire contact surface and is less likely to fracture if impacted. It may also help to dull the sound of hollow vehicles. I see no advantage in using waterproof PVA unless you are planning to completely seal your model both inside and out. MDF and thin plywood may be effected in humid conditions so I never use my stock in the rain and always store them in boxes.

Superglue does work very well on wooden kits and I frequently use it on kits from Jerry Irwin following his instructions on-line. It makes for quick and strong joints where mortise and tenon type fixings are located. It is also easy to remove excess adhesive by simply wiping away. A combination of the two adhesives is often the most suitable method but may take some experience to identify where to use either one.

I would not choose to use epoxy adhesive on wooden kits.

Useful tips .... do NOT use superglue to attach window glazing.
If painting overlays separately first, use 'Canopy Adhesive' to attach to the body panels.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Phil.P
Cleaner
Cleaner
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:28 pm
Location: Staffs. UK

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Phil.P » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 pm

Can I ask why Canopy Adhesive for overlays?

Is it because the items are both painted?

Thanks,
PhilP.

User avatar
Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Weston-super-Mare

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Peter Butler wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:57 pm
philipy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 pm
Jimmyb wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:50 pm

I have a question for builders of these "wooden" kits, the instructions talk about using superglue or two-part epoxy, I would have though a good water proof PVA, thoughts please.
Peter B is the expert with mdf kits.
Expert.... no, experienced..... yes!

Like all simple questions there are numerous possible answers. I am a strong supporter of PVA adhesive and whenever I can I do prefer to use it. True it takes longer to set and needs to be held in position whist drying, it gives a stronger joint over its entire contact surface and is less likely to fracture if impacted. It may also help to dull the sound of hollow vehicles. I see no advantage in using waterproof PVA unless you are planning to completely seal your model both inside and out. MDF and thin plywood may be effected in humid conditions so I never use my stock in the rain and always store them in boxes.

Superglue does work very well on wooden kits and I frequently use it on kits from Jerry Irwin following his instructions on-line. It makes for quick and strong joints where mortise and tenon type fixings are located. It is also easy to remove excess adhesive by simply wiping away. A combination of the two adhesives is often the most suitable method but may take some experience to identify where to use either one.

I would not choose to use epoxy adhesive on wooden kits.

Useful tips .... do NOT use superglue to attach window glazing.
If painting overlays separately first, use 'Canopy Adhesive' to attach to the body panels.
Philip and Peter, many thanks, I will stick (pun wasn't intended) with PVA, I have some craft PVA that has worked well, and because of the relatively slow setting it gives my fat fingers time to "adjust" and clamp the work.
Phil.P wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 pm
Can I ask why Canopy Adhesive for overlays?

Is it because the items are both painted?

Thanks,
PhilP.


Phil.P I think this is because it "fogs" the overlay, but I could be mistaken.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:03 pm

Canopy adhesive is described as a.... 'flexible, clear, fast drying adhesive designed to bond plastics to almost anything'.
To my way of thinking, 'almost anything' incudes MDF or ply overlays when applied to a sealed or painted, smooth surface, plastic or not. I use it frequently, and it works.
It allows sufficient time to apply adhesive to even the largest overlays before drying, any excess can be removed with a damp cloth when wet, or by rubbing when dry, without leaving any residue.
If superglue is used for overlays, any excess cannot be removed without damaging and permanently marking painted surfaces.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Phil.P
Cleaner
Cleaner
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:28 pm
Location: Staffs. UK

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Phil.P » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:15 pm

Thanks for the information Peter.

I had not come across the product before..

PhilP

User avatar
philipy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: South Northants
Contact:

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Phil.P wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 pm
Can I ask why Canopy Adhesive for overlays?

Is it because the items are both painted?
I believe it is because canopy adhesive dries clear and is slightly flexible, so if any squeezes out of the joint it is much less visible

User avatar
Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Weston-super-Mare

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 am

Very little has happened lately with the railbus, the body and chassis built as per the instructions, and now I am looking to make it my own.
Update on the motor front, I bought one the the "Chinese" 6 - 12 volt motors, and when applying power to the original motor and new motor 2.4 volts and 4.8 volt (2 X and 4X NiMH batteries) the speed did not seem to be much different, not very scientific, I know but I was sceptical of the new motor rating. So I bought a MFA Coma 12 - 24 volt motor, runs very slow at 2.4 volts, and reasonable at 4.8 volts, so I think it may just provide the power I need :)

User avatar
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:08 am
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:00 pm

Rather like that railmotor kit, looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.
Anzac Creek Workshops blog - HO, 16mm & 2ft endeavors.

User avatar
Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Weston-super-Mare

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Progress so far:

Basic item assembled
Image

A quick test to determine the motor to use, and battery voltage
Image

Making the roof removable
Image
Image
Image

Low melt soldered bonnet assembly with extra weight
Image
Image

User avatar
Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Weston-super-Mare

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:30 pm

Further progress:

Balsa blocks added for side frame supports:
Image

Side frames add:
Image

Inside panelled:
Image

Roof adapted to take a speaker:
Image

Hope fully the photos tell the story, but more details can be found on my blog:
http://www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk/ip-e ... g-railcar/

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Good progress Jimmy. I have had to see the pictures on your bog as they do not appear on your post, only as 'image'.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

User avatar
philipy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: South Northants
Contact:

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Peter Butler wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 pm
Good progress Jimmy. I have had to see the pictures on your bog as they do not appear on your post, only as 'image'.
Thats strange Peter, the pictures all look fine to me.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4228
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:17 pm

philipy wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:44 pm
Peter Butler wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 pm
Good progress Jimmy. I have had to see the pictures on your bog as they do not appear on your post, only as 'image'.
Thats strange Peter, the pictures all look fine to me.
Nope, still the same as they appeared yesterday.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Phil.P
Cleaner
Cleaner
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:28 pm
Location: Staffs. UK

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Phil.P » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:50 pm

I don't see the images either...

Phil.P

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests