Swift Sixteen Tram body kit.

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Swift Sixteen Tram body kit.

Post by Tony Bird » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 am

Hi,

The nearly completed Swift Sixteen etched brass body kit was tried out on a Roundhouse Bertie chassis at the Cardiff model Engineering Society's garden railway this damp weekend Sunday.

The body is fairly simple to solder together but does take some time.

A video is at.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YYyXxI9fv-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Regards Tony.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:34 pm

This Forum is still using the old software Tony, so here is your embedded video -

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YYyXxI9fv-A?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YYyXxI9fv-A?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=YYyXxI9fv-A

The Tram looks great.

Chris Cairns

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:32 pm

That is a nice-looking tram. As an aside, I must say I ordered some stuff from Swift Sixteen a few weeks ago and the service was extremely prompt.

The tram body is a unique product.

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for doing what ever you did to get the video visible.  I spent most of today finishing the tram body, the condenser on the roof has about 50 pieces.  Also the door handles, grab handles and lamp irons were fitted.  So it is just a matter of painting it now when Gaynor decides on the colour that is,  I might get  it painted by Llanfair. We are off to the Talylyn 150th on Thursday beer and playing train, so it can't be bad we ride the full size Talyllyn from the camp site to Towyn.  Will you be going?

Hi Keith,

Yes Rob is usually quite quick in fulfilling his orders.

Regards Tony.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Tony Bird wrote:Will you be going?
Hi Tony,

Sadly No. Since deciding to retire (rather than being unemployed) I've found an increasing growing number of conflicts with several things all happening on the same day (e.g. 3 different events next weekend). So I'll be shovelling lots of coal Sat & Sun as we (the ARPG) charge up the steam receiver for the first Public running day since its protracted overhaul of what is currently the only operational Fireless locomotive in the UK.

The extensive condensing gear really does make this Swift Sixteen Tram kit unique looking, compared to the likes/looks of the Cheddar/GRS Tram, Regner Otto & Roundhouse Stanley. Look forward to seeing it painted (hopefully 'in the flesh'!).

Chris Cairns

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:55 am

Hi,

I have just finished painting the tram engine and I am quite pleased with the results.

Regards Tony.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:12 pm

That looks Great.
Regards Graham.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:32 pm

What a super livery. The lining looks very good.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:54 pm

That's a great locomotive. The roof detail is fascinating.

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:24 am

As i said in my email Tony, amazing! I'd love to know how long it took you to solder in all those cross tubes :)
Alan.

The Milford Hill Light Railway

TMHLR http://www.alspcs.com/TMHLR.html

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:04 am

As I am rather fond of tram locomotives, and roadside tramways, there is only one thing I can say...

COOL!!!!!!

The Kitson design was probably the box loco that met with the most success in Ireland.  The C&VBT had two six panel heavys delivered in 1883, and then added a third improved heavy 1890-ish.  The Portstewart Trams were 4 panel Kitsons, and the early locomotives on the Dublin and Lucan were Kitsons - 4s and 5s IIRC. The Kerrs on the Skull and Skib proved to be curs!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:24 am

Hi Alan,

I'd love to know how long it took you to solder in all those cross tubes

Not as long as you think. The cross tubes, as is the rest of the kit are extremely accurately made.

First some sums were done to work out the space between the cross tubes and some spacers made. Then the four longitudinal tubes were made the same length and marked out for the larger spaces, two cross tubes were soldered in place about 50mm from each end (where one of the cross tubes were to be positioned). The end tubes were then soldered in place. The remaining cross tubes were introduced diagonally and soldered in place using the spacers to correct the distances. All the tubes are soldered to the top tube about every fifth to the bottom tube as well. There are about 40 cross tubes I think I had 5 left over. Some notes on the way I soldered the kit together bearing in mind I had not assembled an etched kit of any kind before so there was a certain lack of knowledge. I rarely use soft solder and except for wiring my skill with a soldering iron is at best poor. Most of my working live was in the jewellery trade were we used gas torches and hard solder. The instructions in the kit specifically say not to use a gas torch as it will create distortion of the model, which I agree with. However if you are very experienced with using a torch it is possible. I used plumbers solder and Baker's fluid as a flux but it would probably be easier using some of the low melt soft solders that I didn't know about. I might even manage those with an iron!

Hi Peter,

The Kerrs on the Skull and Skib proved to be curs!

I didn't know that the Schull & Skibbereen used tram locomotives, my knowledge of railway lines is not very great. However my late father about 25 years ago built a number of Pearce kits based on the 1st. class carriage of the S&S, I still have a number. The original kit as was the prototype was 4 wheel which alas wouldn't negotiate the tight curves of our layout so they had bogies fitted. It was the colour that these coaches had been painted decided the colour of the tram; Ford Burgundy. Though fictional they are still a Celtic Tramway.

The lining on both tram and carriage is Trimline tape lacquered over.

Regards Tony.

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks for the info on how you put it together. I also just love that coach.
Does anyone know of any manufacturers making Schull & Skibbereen coach kits these days?
I have a vague recollection that possibly Atropos do.
Alan.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:11 pm

The first three S&S locomotives were small enclosed 0-4-0 tram locomotives built by Kerr Stuart. They were a disaster as KS got something fundamentally wrong with the design, or the management of what was then the West Carberry Tramway cut corner that should not have been cut. Once they had had brick arches and new fireboxes fitted, they were functional, but unloved. They disappear from the record quite early as the S&S bought various 4-4-0Ts, which are the locomotives usually associated with the line. I think one went about 1906, another c.1912 and the last about 1926 when the GSR was having a sort out. The 4-4-0Ts were eventually joined by a 0-4-4T refugee from the Cork and Muskerry in 1937, and it looks as though the Muskerry loco was the principle means of movement for the last ten years of the line's life.

Interesting, just as the Peckets were standard colonial locomotives (they had cousins in NZ and elsewhere) some early New Zealand Government Railways carriages rather resembled 8 window versions of the Kerr Stuart carriages, but I think the NZ version came from Oldbury's.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Paul H
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:45 am

Alan,
I believe that Atropos offer goods wagons and coach kits. Worsley Works offer kits of some of the four wheel coached as etched brass sides and ends.

Best regards,
Paul

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks Paul. I don't think Worsley do the balcony coaches unfortunately. I wish Atropos had a website, would make things a lot easier :?
Alan.

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:14 am

Hi,

A video of a test run is at:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/j4DqY6CqF54

Regards Tony.