The (WH)WHR goes Heritage

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Andrew

The (WH)WHR goes Heritage

Post by Andrew » Sat May 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Afternoon all,

My little line has just gained two very lovely locomotives thanks to the generosity of my old friend Colin Seymour. Back when I was a teenager it was Colin who got my unruly Mamod to run properly, helped my build my first garden line, inspired me with his scratchbuilding and generally offered huge amounts of support and guidance. We live a long way apart these days, but have stayed in touch - and yesterday I made the trip down to Kent to collect two of Colin's locos which he's decided to pass on to me for safe keeping. As he's got older he's found running trains increasingly difficult, and wanted to be able to think of a couple of his locos still hard at work. I'm very grateful.

So, here they are:

Aren't they beautiful? Both are by John Turner - on the left is the familiar Caledonia, and on the right is a freelance 0-6-0. Colin tells me that this is one of only three made, and that the design came about because he wanted something a little larger than the 0-4-0 that John was offering at the time. Both are about thirty years old and have that lovely "heritage" patina of ingrained oil and slightly chipped paint.

The Caledonia's a manually-controlled gas-fired pot-boiler. From everything I've heard and read I think she should suit my line very well - I'm already planning some Manx Northern stock to go with her. I did have a quick test run this afternoon but the combination of an unfamiliar loco, a very quiet burner and some very blustery weather made it difficult to keep sufficient pressure in the boiler - I quickly abandoned the run but am looking forward to trying again as soon as the weather's better. The loco's named Sir Donald after the original owner, the late Donald Evans, a friend of Colin's and another lovely bloke.

The tender loco's a very special beastie indeed - sprung buffers and axleboxes, working whistle and lights, oiling points for the axles on the running plate etc etc. She's a little large for my line really but it looks like it'll cope with curves and clearances OK - and she puts me in mind of the old 01s and Ilfracombe Goods engines that trundled about the old K&ESR with a single carriage and some trucks. It'll be a while before I run her, she needs some work doing on the radio control. I might also make some mods to make her able to couple with my stock better - that would entail extending the buffer beam downwards (like the Caledonia) and changing the side buffers to a centre one, don't know if I dare with such a fine old machine! She's named Joy, after Colin's wife.

So there we go, two lovely new (old) locos for the (WH)WHR, which I'm very excited about. I'll post some more photos once I've had a proper run with Sir Donald...

All the best,

Andrew.

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Sat May 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Two really lovely locos - I especially like the red 0-6-0 - Joy in name and a Joy to behold - look forward to seeing them in steam!!
Retirement has its benefits if only I can afford the railway!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat May 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Wow, what a fantastic pair of locos, and rather rare as well, I've never seen anything like the tender loco.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:12 pm

You lucky,lucky...... :D

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The (WH)WHR goes Heritage

Post by kandnwlr » Sat May 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Andrew:100485 wrote:Afternoon all,

My little line has just gained two very lovely locomotives thanks to the generosity of my old friend Colin Seymour. Back when I was a teenager it was Colin who got my unruly Mamod to run properly, helped my build my first garden line, inspired me with his scratchbuilding and generally offered huge amounts of support and guidance. We live a long way apart these days, but have stayed in touch - and yesterday I made the trip down to Kent to collect two of Colin's locos which he's decided to pass on to me for safe keeping. As he's got older he's found running trains increasingly difficult, and wanted to be able to think of a couple of his locos still hard at work. I'm very grateful.

So, here they are:

Aren't they beautiful? Both are by John Turner - on the left is the familiar Caledonia, and on the right is a freelance 0-6-0. Colin tells me that this is one of only three made, and that the design came about because he wanted something a little larger than the 0-4-0 that John was offering at the time. Both are about thirty years old and have that lovely "heritage" patina of ingrained oil and slightly chipped paint.

The Caledonia's a manually-controlled gas-fired pot-boiler. From everything I've heard and read I think she should suit my line very well - I'm already planning some Manx Northern stock to go with her. I did have a quick test run this afternoon but the combination of an unfamiliar loco, a very quiet burner and some very blustery weather made it difficult to keep sufficient pressure in the boiler - I quickly abandoned the run but am looking forward to trying again as soon as the weather's better. The loco's named Sir Donald after the original owner, the late Donald Evans, a friend of Colin's and another lovely bloke.

The tender loco's a very special beastie indeed - sprung buffers and axleboxes, working whistle and lights, oiling points for the axles on the running plate etc etc. She's a little large for my line really but it looks like it'll cope with curves and clearances OK - and she puts me in mind of the old 01s and Ilfracombe Goods engines that trundled about the old K&ESR with a single carriage and some trucks. It'll be a while before I run her, she needs some work doing on the radio control. I might also make some mods to make her able to couple with my stock better - that would entail extending the buffer beam downwards (like the Caledonia) and changing the side buffers to a centre one, don't know if I dare with such a fine old machine! She's named Joy, after Colin's wife.

So there we go, two lovely new (old) locos for the (WH)WHR, which I'm very excited about. I'll post some more photos once I've had a proper run with Sir Donald...

All the best,

Andrew.
Take care of them. Very precious. :D

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat May 10, 2014 9:30 pm

I looked seriously at a John Campbell 0-4-0 when I was staring in 16mm - couldn't raise the capital................... Don't forget that both these locos have exhaust regulators (the wheel in the middle of the smokebox door) which enables the loco to work hard UP the gradient, but which will throttle it back going DOWN the gradient.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Sat May 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Aaaaaahhhhhhh I think 'joy' is one of the sisters of a loco my great grandfather had built by John in the mid 80's, possibly 86? I'm sure there was only 2 0r 3 built as you say. My grandfathers was named 'Cordelia' was a red 0-6-0 with flange less centre wheels, I can't remember a lot more as I was only about 8 when Miffy passed away. I'd love to know what became of Cordelia, I know she was give back to John after my grandfathers death and then sold to Peter Holland. He sold the loco on but that's where the trail goes cold.

Steve

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat May 10, 2014 10:49 pm

A very nice pair of Heritage locomotives.

With regards to coupling your stock up to 'Joy' I would suggest making a converter wagon with the appropriate couplings & buffers on either end thus avoiding the need for any changes to 'Joy'.

Chris Cairns

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Arhh! nice to have and run. Material things are borrowed but much Joy can be had on the way. Wishes to you both.

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sun May 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Lovely Loco's and a lovely story too.
Hope you will provide some video in due course which would also be lovely to see.

8) ;) :D

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sun May 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Beautiful loco's :)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Glad you like 'em. Yes, I'm very lucky, and yes, I'll look after them, I promise!

The weather's still rather blustery today so Sir Donald's stayed indoors - I'm hoping there'll be a nice evening this week to have a proper play...

All the best,

Andrew.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon May 12, 2014 7:41 am

Passenger Brakes, Horse boxes, and 4-wh luggage vans make rather useful converter wagons, BTW.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 am

Do what i did with my old Archange Murphy, when she was in for a check over i got made up some spare bufferbeams with centre couplings!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 12, 2014 1:09 pm

IrishPeter:100568 wrote:Passenger Brakes, Horse boxes, and 4-wh luggage vans make rather useful converter wagons, BTW.

Peter in AZ
It's a thought - I'll be building some new stock for the pair of them anyway because they look a little large against my WHR and FfR carriages. I'm thinking the new stuff will be IoM-influenced to match the Caledonia - the "Foxdale Coach" brake composite, an "E" luggage/guards van and some open wagons. With my end-to-end line I'd need a converter wagon at each end though, and those wouldn't be able to run with the centre-buffered Cale (unless they run back-to-back I guess), so I think something along the lines of Paul's suggestion is going to work best. And keep the build-time down - I'm already behind schedule with my WHR stock...

All the best,

Andrew.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Beuatiful locos, I especially like the tender loco!
Thanks
Jack

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon May 12, 2014 6:16 pm

You can always invoke the Campbeltown and Machrihanish. Their locomotives and brake van were fitted with both side buffers and Norwegian centre buffer-couplers for working with older CCC equipment and the later 6 ton wagons and passenger vehicles.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi all,

This morning the rest of the family all went to work/school early. The sun was shining, Sir Donald was oiled, fueled, watered and ready to go, and I had 45 minutes before I need to leave - what else was I going to do but raise steam?!!

Here are a few photos of Sir Donald in action on the works train:

What a way to start the day! As you can see, I particularly enjoyed the blowdown valve at the end of the run...

On the whole it was a pretty good run too. Sir Donald made lots of steam and was very controllable, trundling up and down my 1 in 50 gradient at a very sedate pace. It did seem to lack a little "oomph", don't know how it would cope with a longer train, but I think performance will be improved as I get to know the loco better and also as my line gets longer enabling the loco to stretch it legs (wheels?) a little more. I'm looking forward to it...

The whistle's rather soggy sounding, any ideas?

All the best,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue May 13, 2014 7:00 pm

What sort of pressure was the loco working at?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 13, 2014 8:03 pm

JMORG:100606 wrote:What sort of pressure was the loco working at?
About 60psi I think, according to the pressure gauge. As I recall the safety valve was letting out a little steam from about 35/40, and blowing off properly at about 70. Could be wrong there, wasn't paying too much attention to the numbers.

Andrew.