Help adapting Regner whistle kit to RH Lady Anne

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Help adapting Regner whistle kit to RH Lady Anne

Post by artfull dodger » Mon May 27, 2013 8:37 pm

I want to put a spare whistle kit on my Lady Anne. Only place I could see to tap into steam without drilling the boiler is off the line to the presure gauge. Anybody have any suggestions, I do not have the ablity to machine my own adapter to do this. Regner uses a different thread than RH uses as I tried to just put the whistle on and eliminate the gauge. I may have to pull the boiler to ship to someone that can add an extra bung on the back of the boiler to mount the Regner whistle valve to. Mike

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Mon May 27, 2013 10:23 pm

There are a couple of UK suppliers who sell imperial to metric adapters if you know the thread or pipe sizes you need.

You could also get someone to make you an adapter that would fit between either the pressure gauge connection or the safety valve and boiler bush with a side metric pipe connection.
Cheers, Steve

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon May 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Between the safety and the bush would be nice, but I want to add the polished brass bonnet there soon. I was thinking between the throttle valve and its mounting bush. As long as it doesnt put the throttle all teh way to the rear of the cab. I could actualy use a bit more space, throttle is nice and close to the fuel tank as it swings up from the down/off position. Here is a pic of my Lady Anne's cab layout. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Mon May 27, 2013 11:19 pm

You might even be able to drill a hole near the end of the regulator casting to sold in the metric pipe as long as you are clear of the valve needle and the thread. If mess it up or want to take the loco back to standard regulators are stock spares held by most Roundhouse dealers. Maybe better to buy a spare a adapt it first.
Cheers, Steve

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon May 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Thats not a bad idea, get a spare throttle set up and adapt it. I am guessing it will need to be silver soldered. Can that be done with a small butane pencil torch or will it not be hot enough? Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Tue May 28, 2013 12:05 am

Silver solder comes in several grades with different melting temperatures. I've not used any for quite a few years but you can probably get a pencil fame torch with a lower melting point solder but best to seek advice from someone who knows better. The model loco builders though do solder union cones and other fittings to steam pipes that are just as small. I've also had my metal glasses frames repaired with silver solder. You might find however that it is not such a good idea if it damages the valve so care will be needed.
Cheers, Steve