Accucraft Cylinders

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
dougrail
Driver
Driver

Accucraft Cylinders

Post by dougrail » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi folks,

One potentailly sick Accucraft Caradoc here.
So, standard Accucraft 040 chassis - the cylinders aren't meant to move slighly back and forth while they're in motion are they?

Also, look at the cylinders - there's the cylinder of the actual piston housing, and the little cuboid directly above it. Is oil supposed to seep out of the seam between the two?

Lastly - looking underneath the loco at the steam chest getwene the cyls and frames, are there supposed to be two holes there? Or is this part 'yes' and I'm just being dumb as I hadn't steamed the loco in 5 months?

If not, what can I do about this? I can't find any bolts/nuts that are accessible in order to tighten up. Might this warrant dismantling the loco? Or a pro? :(

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:52 pm

The cylinders shouldn't really move when in steam but it can happen, there should be two bolts holding each cylinder to the frames.

The oil leaking is comming from the join between the cylinder and piston valve. You can try tightening the bolts holding the two parts together to stop it but I wouldnt worry about it till its gets really bad as in means stripping most of the loco to get at them.

As for holes in the reverser I couldnt tell without a picture.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:12 pm

The oil leaking between the cylinder and the valve chest (the cuboid bit ) is due to the four screws fastening the two together not being tight enough. My RAgleth ahd the same problem. Started as a slight dribble and then pissed steam and oil all over.......

It required a total strip down to get at the screws and new gaskets....so a big job.

jabsteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by jabsteam » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm

When you do strip it down to tighten things up, put a dab of thread lock on the screw threads so you won't have to do the job again 2 years later on.
Jim Bruneau
Accu. Plantation 0-4-2ST
Accu. WD Baldwin 4-6-0T
RH Custom American 2-6-2ST
Regner Chaloner
DJB Robert 0-4-0T- coal

LakeshoreMike
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by LakeshoreMike » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 pm

But make sure you use screwlock or nutlock - use superglue coz it's all you've got and you won't be ABLE to do it again in two years time, not even if you need too :lol:

Mike