Avontuur railway Walmer branch Bagnall

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Avontuur railway Walmer branch Bagnall

Post by GTB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:19 pm

INJIN:76429 wrote: Anyone out there seen a model of it or built one themselves?
As you've already found, about the only published information is in Sydney Moir's book and the Bagnall catalog reprint. I gather there is a SAR diagram around, but it is basically just a larger version of the weight diagram in the book.

I doubt Alsthom have kept anything, but if you are lucky the Bagnall drawings may have gone to a museum or library collection somewhere in the UK, as the Bagnall drawing office wasn't closed down until '61, when EE took over.

A friend started building one using a Roundhouse boiler and cylinders, but had clearance problems around the front end when running through #4 turnouts, and it was completed as a 2-6-2T.

Large, low-slung cylinders and an outside frame leading truck are a recipe for problems on tighter than scale curves. I assume you have already tested your NG4 chassis on your track?

It runs faultlessly and was running at the Great Southern Steam Up this weekend in Melbourne.

The Walmer branch engines are basically what Bagnall thought a Baldwin tank looked like and we've heard the model identified as a VR NA class by viewers that don't really know what they are looking at .........:roll:

Regards,
Graeme

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:18 pm

That is VERY nice indeed.

The Ng4 goes over Peco turnouts with no problem which have the sharpest curvature on my line. I'm going to try it around the Phurcombe Hall layout next weekend & I'm pretty sure it'll get around that too. The VOR 2-6-2 I built last year has no cut outs in the frames & manages Phurcombe, so fingers crossed.

The cylinders although not fitted when the photo was taken are smaller than the part of the frame that they mount on to.

The Walmer loco I hope will be the next in the workshop.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:35 pm

INJIN:76643 wrote: The Ng4 goes over Peco turnouts with no problem which have the sharpest curvature on my line.
Ah ha...     I tend to forget that not everyone uses 45mm gauge.

Crossovers are usually where things go wrong, but it looks like you have plenty of clearance, due to the combination of narrower gauge and the wide spacing of the frames.

The model in the photos I posted runs on 45mm gauge and there is nowhere near the same clearance around the cylinders.

Regards,
Graeme

jabsteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by jabsteam » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 am

GTB:76664 wrote:
INJIN:76643 wrote: I tend to forget that not everyone uses 45mm gauge.

Crossovers are usually where things go wrong, but it looks like you have plenty of clearance, due to the combination of narrower gauge and the wide spacing of the frames.

The model in the photos I posted runs on 45mm gauge and there is nowhere near the same clearance around the cylinders.

Regards,
Graeme
I have that same problem with my Accucraft WD Baldwin 4-6-0 on 45mm track. Had to to some judicious Dremel work to the backside of the cylinder heads for better wheel clearance.

Seems like the 4 wheel lead truck loco's don't scale up well from 32mm to 45mm track...
Jim Bruneau
Accu. Plantation 0-4-2ST
Accu. WD Baldwin 4-6-0T
RH Custom American 2-6-2ST
Regner Chaloner
DJB Robert 0-4-0T- coal

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:41 am

Does anyone remember seeing those old videos of the Beatles when they first arrived in America...how the girls were screaming, fainting, and practically pissing themselves when they first got glimpses of the fab four getting out of their aeroplane?

That's almost how I felt when I saw these pictures:
GTB:76631 wrote: Image

What a nice looking engine, and what good pictures!! :oops:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:17 am

Painted that colour grey it looks as though it needs white metal numberplates with GSR above the number... and be heading the 11.50am to some sort of Ballygobackwards.

The loco looks absolutely smashing!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:28 am

The pilot "cow catcher" is REALLY well done. What a nice locomotive you have!
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:00 am

Here is a very nice 5" gauge version..............

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Keith S:76992 wrote:Does anyone remember seeing those old videos of the Beatles when they first arrived in America...how the girls were screaming, fainting, and practically pissing themselves when they first got glimpses of the fab four getting out of their aeroplane?

That's almost how I felt when I saw these pictures:

What a nice looking engine, and what good pictures!! :oops:[/quote]

Seconded!  Stunning loco, simply gorgeous.
Living on an island paradise, the Isle of Man - narrow gauge trains and motorbike racing!

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:28 pm

That is an absolute cracker! To me, it also looks closer to the prototype in proportion. It MUST be possible to bring out a scale drawing from a photograph and a few known dimensions, it's only geometry. I must fire up the CAD program and have another crack.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 pm

'Still have not found any more info on the Walmer engine, but have made progress on the NG4.
The loco probably looks more complete than it actually is. Dummy firebox top, handrails tank fillers , & many more details to do. There is still the "worst job of all" to do yet. Soldering the edge trims around the cab aperture. Arrgghh...

I'll put the arm on the safety valve the right way round during final assembly!

Keith

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon May 20, 2013 4:03 pm

VERY nice. An absolute stunner, mate!
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:16 pm

That does look good! Unusual Loco too.
Thanks
Jack

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon May 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Ooohh, fantastic! :D

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm

That's a stunning looking Loco well done. :shock:
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Here is a fairly recent picture of the real thing at Sandstone. There was a celebration earlier this month as the engine is 100 years old this year!! Also gives an idea how much more there is to do....

Keith

Paul H
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul H » Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Wonderful model, Keith! I really enjoyed the video of the test run, and I am really looking forward to photos and videos of the model as it nears completion.

Paul

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue May 21, 2013 3:36 pm

INJIN:83695 wrote: The loco probably looks more complete than it actually is. Dummy firebox top, handrails tank fillers , & many more details to do. There is still the "worst job of all" to do yet. Soldering the edge trims around the cab aperture.
Coming along nicely.

Loco building is like QC work in my experience, 10% of the work takes 90% of the time.

Beading is always 'fun'. The cab edge trim shown on the prototype photo looks like it's flat strip applied to the edge of the cab side sheet rather than the face. Should be easier to apply than using half-round brass around the opening. Been there, done that.........

Graeme

ps. re the Walmer engines. Apparently at least part of the W. G. Bagnall records ended up in the Staffordshire County Archives. Might be worth contacting them to see what they've got, as they mention microfilms and drawings in one of their accession lists.

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure ... tions.aspx

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Ready for paint

Post by INJIN » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Here is the NG4 now ready for paint.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Very, very Nice
Thanks