Accucraft Climax

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Accucraft Climax

Post by benchmark » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:21 pm

From what i gather this model is a bit different from the other locos both in appearance and the fact that it has a water handpump in its tender. Does anyone know if they are good runners and whether they can be converted to R/C control?

Thanks.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:29 pm

I've driven one owned by an NWAG member, they are good fun but a bit more labour intensive then you would expect for a geared loco, they seem a touch high geared and as a result actually show a bit of a tendancy to run off down hills when allowed to. Also the gas capacity does outrun the water by some margin, so use of the handpump is essential, little and often as usual works best but they are very free steaming so if you knock the pressure back too far when pumping in water it soon comes back
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Thank you for the tips laalratty.
Interesting thing about how they can sometimes run down a slope, i thought gearing a loco was insurance against this problem since the gears should act as brakes too.

Adam R
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Adam R » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am

benchmark:72129 wrote:Thank you for the tips laalratty.
Interesting thing about how they can sometimes run down a slope, i thought gearing a loco was insurance against this problem since the gears should act as brakes too.
Yes to an extent, but that's suggesting that on a hill if you dip the clutch in your car going down, it will stop, id be miffed if it did.

Engine braking uses the engine like an air compressor to slow it, Steam is the same, just the gears amplify the resitance of the engine. reduce the steam, reduce the speed of the engine, itl slow

Mr ACME
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mr ACME » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Yes, Paul's engine is very nice.

Did you notice that I'd converted his power trucks, so that he can switch back and forth 32mm/45mm gauge? That was quite a big engineering job.

Mike Ousby

ACME Engineering.

laalratty:72128 wrote:I've driven one owned by an NWAG member, they are good fun but a bit more labour intensive then you would expect for a geared loco, they seem a touch high geared and as a result actually show a bit of a tendancy to run off down hills when allowed to. Also the gas capacity does outrun the water by some margin, so use of the handpump is essential, little and often as usual works best but they are very free steaming so if you knock the pressure back too far when pumping in water it soon comes back
Best

Mike Ousby

Mr ACME
email: sales@acmesteam.co.uk
www.acmesteam.co.uk

The original Accucraft service person, working closely with them since 2001.

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Do you do that commercially? If yes how much does it cost to convert an original fixed 45mm loco to be regaugable .

Mr ACME
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mr ACME » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:07 pm

benchmark:72813 wrote:Do you do that commercially? If yes how much does it cost to convert an original fixed 45mm loco to be regaugable .
It all depends upon.

- Which engine.
- Whether its technically possible
- Whether the Customer wants a fixed conversion to say 32mm or to be able to switch back and forth at will. For the Accucraft Shay I do these two levels of conversion. There is a big difference in price due to the amount of work involved.

I would say that looking at your website that you already have the required level of skill to do it yourself?
Best

Mike Ousby

Mr ACME
www.acmesteam.co.uk

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:09 am

Mr ACME:72820 wrote:
It all depends upon.

- Which engine.
- Whether the Customer wants a fixed conversion to say 32mm or to be able to switch back and forth at will. For the Accucraft Shay I do these two levels of conversion. There is a big difference in price due to the amount of work involved.

I would say that looking at your website that you already have the required level of skill to do it yourself?
I am considering an Accucraft Climax and if it can be made re- gaugable back and forth, that will seriously facilitate my getting it.

Thanks for the complements :-) however i tend to be very cautious or careful never to attemt any procedure i have never witnessed or seen before . I guess its something i have learned due to my profession that seems to rub off on many other aspects.

:)

Mr ACME
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mr ACME » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm

benchmark:72822 wrote:
Mr ACME:72820 wrote:
It all depends upon.

- Which engine.

I am considering an Accucraft Climax and if it can be made re- gaugable back and forth, that will seriously facilitate my getting it.

Thanks for the complements :-) however i tend to be very cautious or careful never to attemt any procedure i have never witnessed  or seen before . I guess its something i have learned due to my profession that seems to rub off on many other aspects.

:)
Please contact me again in about a couple of months time. My order book is currently full and by then I should be better able to book you in.
Best

Mike Ousby

Mr ACME
www.acmesteam.co.uk