Roundhouse 2012

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:59 pm

IrishPeter:59850 wrote:Faceteous suggestion...

Why don't they "Gunga Din" themselves and produce a Barsi Light Railway 4-8-4T.  After all, they have done a lot of the twiddly bits already ;) for their Lek and Manifold.

Peter in AZ
(who like E A Calthrop is from Lincs. - it must be something in the Bateman's)
Works for me- though I reckon the smaller 0-8-4T might go under the RH body etch without any alterations.

Tim (from Lincs too, and still here!)
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 am

How about "Karen" from the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway? A large outside framed tank engine which could use many standard Roundhouse parts. cheers, Rob

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:55 pm

I think this loco might be good for 16mm. might need to turn it into a 2-6-2 first.

http://www.martynbane.co.uk/images/peck ... eckett.jpg
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Matt:59906 wrote:I think this loco might be good for 16mm.  might need to turn it into a 2-6-2 first.
Why? In my experience pony trucks are nothing but a nuiscance on 16mm models. They don't actually carry any weight so constantly derail. My "Russell" runs better as an 0-6-0 - I've only put the pony trucks back on for sake of appearance! :lol:

Mind you, that Peckett is an attractive loco, and I guess there is a gap in the market for an 0-6-0 tender loco at the moment.

Another possibility that occured to me is the Avonside 0-4-2Ts from the Sezela sugar estates in South Africa (e.g. Sezela No. 4 at Leighton Buzzard). Like Karen or Gelert, a good generic 0-4-2T, recognisably British-built, but with the added bonus of outside Walscheart's valve gear. Roundhouse have never modelled an Avonside prototype before so it would be a bit different.

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:12 pm

:argue:

I know I may be showing some recently acquired bias, and sorry to bring it up again and drag you all back kicking to some sense -- but -- outside frames, inside valve gear, outside cylinders (so suitable for common components), beautiful proportions, no extraneous pipework, good clean lines --- need I say more:

(not the original 6-wheel tender -- this is a Fowler designed replacement -- see picture below for original 6-wheeler).

:wave:

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:51 pm

The 4-4-0 tender loco would make a good prototype but so would the 0-4-2T's.

Palmerston
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Palmerston » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:57 pm

A loco with Hackworth valve gear (again)

or

Funkey Diesel FR/WHR

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Palmerston:59914 wrote:Funkey Diesel FR/WHR
FR version :thumbright:
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 pm

MuzTrem:59908 wrote: Why? In my experience pony trucks are nothing but a nuiscance on 16mm models. They don't actually carry any weight so constantly derail. My "Russell" runs better as an 0-6-0 - I've only put the pony trucks back on for sake of appearance! :lol:
They can work, if set up right. One of the sights that persuaded me 16mm was the way to go was seeing a friend's Merlin Hunslet glide round the curves on his original round-the-greenhouse circuit. He'd bought it 2/h and the previous owner had done some serious work on the pony-trucks, modifying them so the axle was held in a cradle (concealed by the decorative axlebox castings) attached to a round bar that could rotate inside the brass tube he used for the ponytruck proper. This was sprung to provide both even weight distribution and a measure of side control. The latter sounds fairly trivial for our scale and you can certainly manage without it, but I was astonished at the difference it made to the ride going round the corners. Yer average short wheelbase total-adhesion loco will often proceed in a series of short straights punctuated by lurches as the outside flange makes contact but this machine sailed round in a smooth effortless glide, riding like a coach.

As for the Russell, another mate had the same problem with his. He solved it on the lead truck by the unorthodox method of turning the frame stretcher (the one the pony truck pivots on) through a right angle so the trunnion is horizontal instead of vertical, and bending the pony-truck itself to bring it back into alignment (and a little more, giving enough spring to apply some useful extra weight to the axle). There is still enough play to get the beast round his curves (tight in places but veeery smooth- he's a retired BR p/w engineer and builds all his own track from steel strip- very similar to CWR.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Ive found with my Russell that if you don't push the pony trucks up[the stretcher turners on the screws].Its runs better.

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 am

MuzTrem:59908 wrote:
Matt:59906 wrote:I think this loco might be good for 16mm.  might need to turn it into a 2-6-2 first.
Why? In my experience pony trucks are nothing but a nuiscance on 16mm models. They don't actually carry any weight so constantly derail.
Oooo. I dunno. My 2-6-2+2-6-2 needs those pony trucks and hasn't had a pony off yet!

If the pony truck is derailing, then the design is in error.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 am

MuzTrem:59908 wrote:
Why? In my experience pony trucks are nothing but a nuiscance on 16mm models. They don't actually carry any weight so constantly derail. My "Russell" runs better as an 0-6-0 - I've only put the pony trucks back on for sake of appearance! :lol:

Well they generally are on a Russell. As Tony says they were no problems at all on a No 14. Little trouble with the Fowler either. The Roundhouse Russell is really not one of their best models – a Lady Anne with bits clagged on. The trucks just flop all over the place unless doctored.
Tag Gorton

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:46 pm

I am not overly fond of narrow gauge Diesel locomotive.  IMHO the proper repair kit is:

Stake
Garlic
Crucifix
Mirror...

The only ones I can tolerate are the CIE West Clare 0-4-0+0-4-0s, Simplexes and Rustons because they are so damn ugly they are cute!

The really weird thing is that like old stanard gauge diesels such the CIE 'A' Class, and old BR designs like the 20, the 31, and the 37!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Aren't Roundhouse now making the pony trucks for Russell the same as those on the VoR? must admit its very rare that Ive had problems with the pony trucks on my VoR. Im starting to build a pair in the same style for my No14 but would be interested to see a picture of your friends on if any exsist Tommy?

Mr ACME
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Roundhouse 2012

Post by Mr ACME » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Keith&Joanna:59755 wrote:Time to start specualting on what you think might be the new loco from Roundhouse in 2012.

VoR production comes to an end in 2011

L&M was a large loco for 2011

George & Mildred added to the freelance range with a kind of mini lady anne feel on a 0-4-0 chassis.

Another american outline loco was talked about in 2010 but was not taken forward.

So what do you think 2012 will see ?
One engine I would buy is the ex Beira Falcon.

Best

Mike Ousby
Best

Mike Ousby

Mr ACME
email: sales@acmesteam.co.uk
www.acmesteam.co.uk

The original Accucraft service person, working closely with them since 2001.

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:43 pm

DVT Dweller:59960 wrote:... but would be interested to see a picture of your friends on if any exsist Tommy?
Busy time at work right now, but I'll see what I can do. Which is it you want to see, the Russell or the Merlin 14/85?

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:00 pm

TommyDodd:59967 wrote:Busy time at work right now, but I'll see what I can do. Which is it you want to see, the Russell or the Merlin 14/85?
Well, I for one would be interested to see the modified Russell arrangement, if possible :)

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:58 am

TommyDodd:59967 wrote:
Busy time at work right now, but I'll see what I can do. Which is it you want to see, the Russell or the Merlin 14/85?
Merlin for me please Tommy.

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:19 am

:hello2:
Mr ACME:59964 wrote:One engine I would buy is the ex Beira Falcon.

Best

Mike Ousby
:D A man with real taste !

You've probably seen this --- but --- a proud new Dad can't help showing off !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfy8P7ZFg-A

:wave:

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Keith&Joanna:59982 wrote:Very nice indeed!!!  a good £30k worth ?
Worth all that from the sheer quality -- but I'm not in that league. But, just as you musn't ask a Lady's age, neither must you ask how much I paid !

:roll: