Trouble with steam engine-need help

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Trouble with steam engine-need help

Post by mymodeltrain » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:24 pm

I think I might make a mistake while preparing to steam the Accucraft Mortimer this beautiful morning in Nashville. Basically, after filling the tank with water, I turned the engine upside down to lubricate the joints. Water might get into the connection leading to the pressure gauge as a consequence of this. Another mistake was that I didn't remove some water off after filling the tank. So when the boiler was heated, I saw profused water from the safety valve, but the pressure gauge didn't work at all-NO pressure indication even the steam was strong, then it exited from the safety valve, and obviously, the train didn't run. I need some suggestions to overcome this. I guess I need to remove the pressure gauge and clean it? Thanks

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Trouble with steam engine-need help

Post by -steves- » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:44 pm

To me, it simply sounds like the gauge doesn't work, I had an Accucraft loco do this, I simply got it replaced, you can try cleaning it of course before spending money :thumbleft:

Other than that, the safety valve works, that's good and you over filled it, lesson learnt. Even without the gauge it should still run, just don't over fill it, start again and try it again :thumbup:

Let us know how it goes.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:53 pm

-steves- wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:44 pm To me, it simply sounds like the gauge doesn't work, I had an Accucraft loco do this, I simply got it replaced, you can try cleaning it of course before spending money :thumbleft:

Other than that, the safety valve works, that's good and you over filled it, lesson learnt. Even without the gauge it should still run, just don't over fill it, start again and try it again :thumbup:

Let us know how it goes.
No pain no gain, I learned the lesson of overfilling. I think the pressure gauge does not break, it truly indicates that the locomotive has no pressure. Because if the pressure is fine, then the train would run regardless of the pressure gauge works or not. I fired 2 more times without success. Again, the pressure gauge showed no pressure, and I saw water precipitation inside the gauge, and the train didn't run. I am very puzzled. I will remove the pressure gauge and clean it to see if this helps.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:14 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:53 pm
-steves- wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:44 pm To me, it simply sounds like the gauge doesn't work, I had an Accucraft loco do this, I simply got it replaced, you can try cleaning it of course before spending money :thumbleft:

Let us know how it goes.
No pain no gain, I learned the lesson of overfilling. I think the pressure gauge does not break, it truly indicates that the locomotive has no pressure. Because if the pressure is fine, then the train would run regardless of the pressure gauge works or not. I fired 2 more times without success. Again, the pressure gauge showed no pressure, and I saw water precipitation inside the gauge, and the train didn't run. I am very puzzled. I will remove the pressure gauge and clean it to see if this helps.
As said, I removed the pressure gauge yesterday and tried to clean the water precipitation on the glass. However, when I assemble the gauge back, I broke the glass. I already called Accucraft and will send the locomotive back for service.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:52 pm

It may be a good idea to ask Accucraft to provide a set of instructions when they return the locomotive to you.