Need some direction on a first project

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Need some direction on a first project

Post by yellow_cad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:17 pm

My draw to G scale is to build live steam. I currently have multiple N scale layouts. In considering a G scale live steam locomotive build, I am not quite sure just what is out there. I am up in years and don't do much machining lately, but have done much precision machining for much of my life. I currently have an 8x18 lathe with attached milling unit as well as adequate tooling to round out my garage workshop (have even made aluminum spur gears with this outfit). So far, I have thought to build just a scratch built unit that runs on steam power or maybe a more sophisticated kit looking more like a locomotive with unmachined castings. I have a small stockpile of raw materials, but it is not easy in my area to find some raw materials.
When it comes to building the boiler, I have a propane torch with 3/4 inch diameter burner tube that I could use with Map Gas, but I'm not sure it that is enough heat. I have oxy/act tanks, but the cost to fill them just for this job raises the price of my project when maybe I could avoid that.
Anyway, right now I have more questions than answers. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jim

philipy

Re: Need some direction on a first project

Post by philipy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:59 am

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum.

I don't personally have the knowledge to answer your questions but we do have some very skilled engineers amongst the membership who I'm sure will be able to help.
Philip

Tom85
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom85 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:03 am

I certainly don't have the skills to do what you're planning - but it is an ambition to do so one day. But it sounds like you are kitted out with the gear - and experience - to build a loco.

I think there's a lot to be said with any project for starting simple and working up. What about a 'Cracker'? It's a little oscillating geared loco with an internally fired gas boiler. Check out 'myfordboy' on YouTube who does a step-by-step build of one. I'm sure there are plans available on line somewhere as it seems to be quite a common build.

Whatever you do decide to make, I'd love to see your progress once you get going.

Good luck!

Tom

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:39 pm

Is there a build similar to the Cracker that is designed for 45 mm track so I can use 45 mm plastic track?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:02 am

yellow_cad wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:39 pm Is there a build similar to the Cracker that is designed for 45 mm track so I can use 45 mm plastic track?
It wouldn't take a lot to make Cracker suitable for 45mm gauge. I would think just wider frame spacing and longer axles, crankshaft and counter shaft.
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 am

Jim, welcome to the forum, it would seem you certainly have a good start with the tools for your project, so good luck :thumbright:

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:52 pm

Finally after much searching, I did find plans for the Cracker that have been scaled up to use 45 mm track. I am still open to any other ideas for first build that might be out there.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:16 am

yellow_cad wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:52 pm Finally after much searching, I did find plans for the Cracker that have been scaled up to use 45 mm track. I am still open to any other ideas for first build that might be out there.
How about Ellie the Steam Tram?

https://www.camdenmin.co.uk/products/el ... steam-tram

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:01 am

And I think this would be a nice little build. The drawings appear to be available...

http://www.sidestreet.info/locos/loco19.html

Tom85
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom85 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:20 pm

Whatever you do decide the build, I'd love to see it. Please share your progress :D

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:51 pm

I don't know what engineering experience you have however there are various plans available for some "simple" (or not so for me) locos on the 16mm web site. https://www.16mm.org.uk/resources/drawings/locomotives/

You say G scale, but is that actual G scale at 25:1 (tends to be mainly american based) or do you just mean something that runs on a 45mm track, which could be G scale, Gauge 1, 7/8ths or 16mm scale (about 19:1) and tends to be some sort of narrow gauge?

If you want to take on G scale then I doubt you will find much stuff for building your own steam loco as most of it tends to be electric and bought complete ready to run. If it's 16mm, then the above website might help, though you would have to check if they are just 32mm based or if any are 45mm based, I personally have not been through them all but have attempted the wild rose, which I think was above my level of basic engineering. If it's Gauge 1, then pick any loco you fancy and either build it from available plans or get the castings and plans from a number of places, these tend to be things like Flying Scotman, Mallard etc. If it's 7/8ths, then I do not know of any resources personally as I have never looked into it.

An answer to this would be the first port of call I would suggest :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:04 am

Jim, I started with Dave Watkins' "Idris". I certainly recommend it. I widened the design from 32mm gauge to 45mm gauge without scaling everything else up.

The Idris design is available on this page: https://www.16mm.org.uk/resources/drawings/locomotives/

Here's the loco on the rolling road

yellow_cad wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:17 pm My draw to G scale is to build live steam. I currently have multiple N scale layouts. In considering a G scale live steam locomotive build, I am not quite sure just what is out there. I am up in years and don't do much machining lately, but have done much precision machining for much of my life. I currently have an 8x18 lathe with attached milling unit as well as adequate tooling to round out my garage workshop (have even made aluminum spur gears with this outfit). So far, I have thought to build just a scratch built unit that runs on steam power or maybe a more sophisticated kit looking more like a locomotive with unmachined castings. I have a small stockpile of raw materials, but it is not easy in my area to find some raw materials.
When it comes to building the boiler, I have a propane torch with 3/4 inch diameter burner tube that I could use with Map Gas, but I'm not sure it that is enough heat. I have oxy/act tanks, but the cost to fill them just for this job raises the price of my project when maybe I could avoid that.
Anyway, right now I have more questions than answers. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jim
Best wishes,
Dave

SeamusOD
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SeamusOD » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 pm

Been looking at building a ellie, but that Idris looks interesting for a first build as well