TVT - Borun the Pelican, take 2.

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
GTB
Driver
Driver

TVT - Borun the Pelican, take 2.

Post by GTB » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:11 am

This loco was built about four years ago and the original thread showing the build can be found here........

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10686

As noted in the original post the loco was built with a Roundhouse No. 1 boiler which forced the dome to be further back than it should be to represent the prototype. The result has bugged me ever since. :roll:

So..........

A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to do something about it and a new boiler was built with the bush for the dome in the right place.

Fabricating the bits for a gas fired boiler and silver brazing it together only takes a couple of days and the first photo shows the new boiler getting it's hydraulic test. As is often the case, a joint of a test fitting leaked, but the boiler shell itself was leak free. A new fibre washer and the boiler passed the test by holding pressure for the required time.

Borun-z2.jpg
Borun-z2.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 3335 times

While the loco was in pieces for the new boiler to be fitted, the opportunity was taken to sort out a couple of other issues that were also bugging me and then the new parts went through the paint shop before final assembly.

The next couple of photos show the final result sitting in the afternoon sun on the track a couple of days ago.

Borun-z4.jpg
Borun-z4.jpg (153.15 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
Borun-z3.jpg
Borun-z3.jpg (150.04 KiB) Viewed 3335 times

It was a nice day for a steamup, so a train was assembled and the loco was fired up for a test run out on the branch. The next photo shows the train waiting in the yard. As usual, the branchline mixed has more passengers in the moo truck than in the van. The presence of a domestic water tank wagon in the train suggests that a station water supply tank somewhere up the line requires a refill.

Borun-z5.jpg
Borun-z5.jpg (214.32 KiB) Viewed 3335 times

Well that was the plan. :shock:

The mixed didn't leave the yard, as the safety valve on the loco decided this was a good time to fail and it stuck open. The safety valve on this loco was working OK the last time it ran, but I had already had major problems with two similar safety valves on the Bagnall 2-6-2. It was time to fit a more reliable safety valve.

The issues with the Bagnall were cured by fitting Accucraft G1 semi-pop valves and I knew that I'd have a long wait for one to arrive through our currently very congested postal system. I was fairly sure I had two stashed for another project and when I looked there were actually three. For once I had planned ahead and bought a spare for this loco at the last GSSU.

The branch line mixed finally left on it's run behind the timber co's. Hunslet, seen here heading north and running very late.

Fourteenth Steam Run 1.jpg
Fourteenth Steam Run 1.jpg (270.53 KiB) Viewed 3335 times

By the time I'd made up an adaptor to fit the Accucraft safety valve to a Roundhouse size threaded bush, it was too late to try again, so the test run was postponed to the next morning. Predictably the sun was out as I set out the train and started to steam the loco, but by the time the pressure had built up the sun had disappeared. The next photo shows the branchline mixed running north in the gloom of a Melbourne autumn. The new safety valve worked well and the new boiler steamed well, you have to win one now and again........

Borun-z7.jpg
Borun-z7.jpg (243.38 KiB) Viewed 3335 times

Regards,
Graeme

LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: TVT - Borun the Pelican, take 2.

Post by LNR » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:42 am

GTB wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:11 am The result has bugged me ever since.
Graeme, Ive got a can of Bug spray welcome to borrow it any time. Although at the rate you built that boiler, the spray wouldn't have time to work lol !!
Grant.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 am

LNR wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:42 am Ive got a can of Bug spray welcome to borrow it any time.
I keep a can of Mortein in the workshop, but it doesn't work on all bugs......

Four years to think about it and two days to do it. One can't hurry these things........ 8)

Graeme

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Fri May 15, 2020 8:44 am

Looks great Graeme! one thing that particularly caught my eye is that air compressor, it looks superb, did you build it yourself or is it an off the shelf item?
Jake

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri May 15, 2020 3:58 pm

Tropic Blunder wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:44 am one thing that particularly caught my eye is that air compressor, it looks superb, did you build it yourself or is it an off the shelf item?
I scratch build my air pumps, along with loco lamps and jacks, as I couldn't find a suitable commercial part. The model is based on the small Westinghouse Aust. C class pump, which was an 8" type fitted to the NA class before preservation. These days the NAs are fitted with larger 10" D class pumps from BG locos.

pump.jpg
pump.jpg (82.99 KiB) Viewed 3200 times

Regards,
Graeme