Roundhouse Fowler

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Roundhouse Fowler

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:35 pm

I have just received my first steam loco a Roundhouse Fowler, and have started to run it in having done about 90 minutes on a rolling road, however I have a couple questions being new to this which i am sure this forum can answer:
1) When running currently the water runs out before the gas, my assumption is that this is because the loco is still tight and not fully sealing, and I assume this issue will self rectify its self.
2) When I top up the steam oil I am only using about 3 - 4 (large) drops of oil, this seems quite a meagre amount, it this about the right usage.
Many thanks for your anticipated responses.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Roundhouse Fowler

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:49 pm

The gas should be running out before the water by design. Have you got the burner up too high? (does the safety valve regularly blow?) You don't need to run this engine at 40 PSI, it should happily go at 20 PSI even with a train to pull.

Roundhouse engines hardly use any oil so this is fine.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:14 pm

All you need to know is in the manual:

http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/pdf/locoi ... fowler.pdf

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:38 am

As things heat up, the gas pressure rises, and the fire gets hotter. On these engines you must keep an eye on the pressure-gauge and safety-valve and turn the fire down progressively during the first part of a run. With practice you should be able to find a gas-regulator setting that keeps the engine making enough steam for its work, without the safety valve lifting. It's a bit of a balancing act. All part of the fun operating a real steam engine.

Lots of people think their engine stops using so much water as it "beds in", when what is probably actually happening is they are getting better at minding the fire!

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:42 am

Many thanks for the comments, I have the manual, downloaded one to read up before the loco arrived, and an updated on arrived with the engine.
I have been running it around 35 psi, so I will run it at a lower pressure next time, thanks. My other concern was the steam oil, is it correct the consumption is that low.
I will keep you informed on how it goes.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi Jimmy.
On my Roundhouse loco, the oil in the displacement lubricator gets replaced by water during a run therefore the lubricator is still relatively full at the end, but mostly of water. This needs to be removed at the end of the run by opening the plug at the base of the lubricator, or as i do, use a small syringe to remove it through the top. It is then refilled with fresh oil. Others may have differing views but I think Roundhouse recommend refilling after each run.
David.
David T.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:40 am

Hi Jimmy,
Remember to drain the water from the lubricator. The loco will probably use more oil when run in the cold outdoors
Best wishes,
Dave

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:09 am

Dave t and Dave, many thanks, on the first run water did come out of the lubricator, but on subsequent runs little or not water has come out of the lubricator, and on filling (each run) it seems to be oil that is in the lubricator, this does not seem to be correct to me, but I assume different locos will act differently according to how they are operated.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:37 pm

So with the new found knowledge in hand, more running in. Removed the lubricator drain (completely), and heh water comes out and the level drops, seems the O ring was not allowing the drain to function correctly, followed by a reasonable top up of steam oil, next run at 20 psi. What I need to understand is the difference between running out water and running out of gas, if I understand correctly as the gas starts to run out, it will continue to burn but with less ferocity, and the pressure drop slowly over 15 or so seconds, where as if the water runs out the pressure drop rapidly, and there is no steam. My misunderstanding is the pressure has dropped of slowly, but the burner is still alight (can heard) and I though this was due to lack of water, but as steam is is still available (just) then it is (almost) out of gas.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:49 pm

Very good Jimmy. Some of my lubricators seal with a stainless ball, when opened these often require a flick to get the water flowing. There's no need to drain the remaining oil, only the water
Best wishes,
Dave

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:17 pm

Had some running around the track, seems i still need to get use to the speed and gas regulator, less gas running "light" than on the rolling road, I assume this is the momentum.
So for my next couple of questions:

1) Slomo, can't seem to find one for my model, any thoughts - please.
2) Whistle, I like the idea of a whistle, and been steam a genuine steam whistle, servo operated.
a) Steam operated, makes and other details, please.
b) Sound card!, could this be a easier/better way to go - thoughts.

I am sure I will get some interesting answers :D
Last edited by Jimmyb on Fri May 15, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:48 pm

I am sure the Lady Anne Slomo will fit a Fowler as I have fitted these to a Russell and Silver Lady:

http://smallsteamperformance.com.au/lady-anne-slomo/

If you see running 32mm gauge with insulated wheels then you will need to swap these for non-insulated otherwise the Slomo does not fit.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:18 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:48 pm I am sure the Lady Anne Slomo will fit a Fowler as I have fitted these to a Russell and Silver Lady:

http://smallsteamperformance.com.au/lady-anne-slomo/

If you see running 32mm gauge with insulated wheels then you will need to swap these for non-insulated otherwise the Slomo does not fit.
Tom, many thanks, I haven’t mentioned but I am running 45 mm on insulated wheels, I will contact Terry for more details.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:21 pm

You should be fine then, they are not difficult to fit (the video in the link explains how to do it).

Here are some I have fitted:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 pm

For whistles, many people install a DJB resonator whistle. They are interesting because the part you can see is mounted on the front of the cab, and looks close to the proper size. In order to make a nice tone, the whistle has a separate resonating chamber hidden in the cab. It comes with a spring-loaded valve and fitting for your steam turret and is operable by a servo. Other whistles like Regner ones can be concealed beneath the boiler and are larger in size. I like the DJB one because steam comes out the visible part of the whistle on the front of the cab.

You can do some research on what the whistles sound like and the different types on Youtube. Here is a link to the video I made of the whistle on my Roundhouse "Billy" locomotive:

https://youtu.be/EOf3pw4sxkk

I am horrified by the idea of putting a sound card in a real steam engine!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:21 pm

Personally, DJB single tone whistles sound crap on Roundhouse engines because you normally run them well under 40 PSI whereas Accucraft boilers are around 60 PSI so you get a better tone.

The Regner whistles work fine at low pressures and if you position them under the smokebox near the cylinders it looks like the steam cocks are open when you blow the whistle (I believe Graeme username GTB came up this idea when I was fitting one to a Lady Anne):

Here is the project thread for the Regner whistle:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 25&t=12218

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:19 pm

Tom, many thanks, very interesting article, but I have to say, I don’t silver solder any more, don’t have the equipment.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 pm

Happy to help if you need bits modifying, send me a PM.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 pm Happy to help if you need bits modifying, send me a PM.
Tom many thanks, i may just do that once the current situation has calmed down :)

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:35 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:21 pm Personally, DJB single tone whistles sound crap on Roundhouse engines because you normally run them well under 40 PSI whereas Accucraft boilers are around 60 PSI so you get a better tone.
Very interesting Tom. I think you can't beat a proper whistle. I like the idea of positioning the whistle steam effects for best aesthetics :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Dave