Cranmore Peckett

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Cranmore Peckett

Post by LnBmad » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:05 pm

So I have been lucky enough to have been given another project from my dad. Last time he gave me a project it started me down the crazy path of garden railways, and now hes given me another project to help in my ongoing recovery following a rough 18months with some serious mental health stuff. Anyway, a couple years back Dad bought a box of bits that was labeled up as a David Hick Peckett. As it turns out this was actually a number of components some made by David Hick and some made by someone else who was attempting to make a Cranmore peckett. On the surface it appeared as though there was most of a working chassis there, a boiler, some steam fittings, some bodywork. Upon closer inspection there were 4 side frames, all of which were different, a footplate with holes that didnt match up to anything, some solder with a bit of brass roughly in the shape of a cab, a boiler with a visible soldered plug of unknown material, and some parts that had been made by David such as the cylinders (90% there, just valves, piston rods and glands to make) wheels and axles, axleboxes, smokebox, saddle tank. After a number of evenings sitting staring at this box of bits, measuring everything with a set of calipers, pages and pages of notes, we finally arrived at a plan of attack. One of the frames appeared to match up with the geometry we had worked out and so a second one was made to match it. The cylinders pushed through the frames and the wheelsets were inserted and it started to look like we were getting somewhere. Before getting carried away with this success I took the time to draw up some slip eccentric valve gear for it. Then nothing happened for a month as i got distracted by something shiny....... So i eventually returned to the project and whipped the laptop out for a quick bit of CAD on the eccentric straps and stops, emailed the drawings off and eagerly awaited their arrival. They arrived a little over a week ago and i was in the middle of building a steam cracker so they got put to one side till i was ready. Yesterday i got back to them, eccentrics were machined and today i got the stops equipped with grub screws. All fitted to the chassis everything is rotating freely and the eccentrics slip beautifully.

Next up is piston rods and glands.....
Attachments
IMG-20200224-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20200224-WA0010.jpeg (241.32 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html