Accucraft Yeo

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Accucraft Yeo

Post by JMORG » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:00 pm

So apparently I have a Yeo arriving next week... Is there anything different to the normal Accucraft practice with this engine? Has anyone who owns one had any interesting quirks with running them?

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Accucraft Yeo

Post by CSL » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm

"Apparently"? Is that the sound of extreme good luck?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 am

Prize draw, I didn't stay for the draw. Came back from the gym with a missed call telling me that I had won.
Are they identical to Lew?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:22 am

Congratulations,
The only thing I ever seem to win in drawers or raffles are non alcoholic beverages or ladies toiletries.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:09 am

JMORG wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 amAre they identical to Lew?
No ... Lew's cab has a flat back, Yeo and the others have a curvy back to accommodate the internal coal bunker.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:38 am

Sorry Tony I meant mechanically.
I presume they're the same apart from bodywork?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 am

Big Jim wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:22 am Congratulations,
The only thing I ever seem to win in drawers or raffles are non alcoholic beverages or ladies toiletries.
To be honest I wasn't even expecting anything. Never won anything and likely never will again...

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:47 am

Not to be a bad loser (I didn't enter anyway) but aren't you or your Dad in the trade so you are not allowed to enter?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:07 am

My father does make engines, but definitely not as a trader. He's an aerospace engineer by trade and simply makes engines for fun! He doesn't do draws or anything like that.
My sole locomotive is the Moel Tryfan so that doesn't count!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Turns out one of our members bought himself a Taw. Runs very well although cylinders have leaky valve chests; is this a common occurrence?

copea
New User
New User

Post by copea » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:39 pm

I have a Yeo. A few points.... It does not hold a huge quantity of water so that needs some vigilance. When I fitted radio control the reversing lever was going ever so slowly past the “ stop” in forward which affected the performance until I discovered the problem. It had a tendency to slip which I solved by adding metal to the dummy side tanks to increase weight. Two problems, probably more to do with my track than the loco, the cowcatcher can easily come into contact with the rail and I stiffened the springing in the rear pony touch as I was getting occasional derails in reverse. I lost a pin out of the valve gear for no apparent reason. Despite the instructions saying it will run out of water before gas I have found it a little heavy on gas and this not to be the case.
Despite the above it’s a great loco now I have ironed out its foibles. It pulls well and looks good. Well done on winning it.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:53 am

copea wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:39 pm I have a Yeo. A few points.... It does not hold a huge quantity of water so that needs some vigilance. When I fitted radio control the reversing lever was going ever so slowly past the “ stop” in forward which affected the performance until I discovered the problem. It had a tendency to slip which I solved by adding metal to the dummy side tanks to increase weight. Two problems, probably more to do with my track than the loco, the cowcatcher can easily come into contact with the rail and I stiffened the springing in the rear pony touch as I was getting occasional derails in reverse. I lost a pin out of the valve gear for no apparent reason. Despite the instructions saying it will run out of water before gas I have found it a little heavy on gas and this not to be the case.
Despite the above it’s a great loco now I have ironed out its foibles. It pulls well and looks good. Well done on winning it.
Thanks copea! One of our members has had a Lew for a good few years now and it's a great runner; almost the equal to a Roundhouse (same with his NG15). Unfortunately, my reservations are born from our shared experiences with the NGG16's (both now sorted and running as well as they look) and his current troubles with the K1. I thought I'd ask the question first so I can have some sort of idea if things go wrong!

copea
New User
New User

Post by copea » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:44 pm

I do like the loco. If of interest there is a video of my Yeo here https://youtu.be/1oFbkTI0DFc

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Nice video of your line there.

I think the timing on the loco is out though?

copea
New User
New User

Post by copea » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks for your comment. I am relatively new to live steam so am particularly interested in what you say about timing. My understanding with Accucraft is that there is a timing mark on the valve rod. Maybe I need to check this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 am

Check out this post:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9356

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:16 am

The loco seems to be running fine
Best wishes,
Dave

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 am

Yeo was dropped off yesterday and runs well! It was late in the evening (after gym) so no pictures yet sorry.