Any tips for steaming Ogwen?

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Any tips for steaming Ogwen?

Post by CSL » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who has inherited a Maxwell Hemmens "Ogwen" but has never operated it (hoping that I'll see it running round my little circuit one day!).

I am inexperienced in all this, having obtained a Roundhouse Bertie last year and previously only had Mamods.

So:
- will a Roundhouse GFA work to fuel Ogwen?
- are the internal and external oils used on Roundhouse locos suitable for Ogwen?
- is there any general advice about running an Ogwen that would be useful to know?

Big Jim

Re: Any tips for steaming Ogwen?

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 pm

If i remember correctly the ogwen was externally gas fired.

Be warned, some Ogwens (Ogweni?) Suffered with a slightly iffy build quality. I can't remember if it was early or late ones. PECO had a hand in the original idea for them incidentally but they didn't manufacturer them.

I would try it with roundhouse specification lube. If you find the lubricator empties of oil very rapidly, before you finish the run, try a thicker steam oil and see how you go.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:26 am

It would appear according to Marc Horovitz that it's the later ones that had some problems,
Loco of the month article here,
http://www.sidestreet.info/locos/loco62.html
the article also provides steaming tips.
Good luck
Grant.

ax1709cjm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ax1709cjm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 pm

I have one of these and it's a bit of a pain to run - not as easy as running my Bertie for sure. In answer to your questions:

- will a Roundhouse GFA work to fuel Ogwen?

Should do, I use a standard gas filling adaptor.

- are the internal and external oils used on Roundhouse locos suitable for Ogwen?

The steam oil may be too thin (as mentioned by others). I use a standard ISO460 steam oil (roundhouse is ISO220 I believe), and 3 in 1 for mechanical lubrication, although I was recently a thread which said 3 in 1 was not a good lubrication oil - anyway it works for me.

- is there any general advice about running an Ogwen that would be useful to know?

As I say I find mine is not as easy to run as my Bertie, but mine is quite an old tired model so you might have a different experience. I find the gas is hard to light (possibly because I had to replace the gas valve on mine as the original leaked, and the replacement valve thread is too coarse). I also find the gas tends to go out when I've raised steam and am clearing the cylinders of condensate. Mine is radio controlled on the reverser only, this can be a bit on/off in terms of control, setting the manual regulator to just the right amount (which depends on the pressure (which goes down when the burner goes out!)) halps a great deal.

Despite all my problems, I find once the engine has settled and burner relit it's a great little engine to run. If you are managing Bertie OK theres no reason why you shouldn't give Ogwen a go, in my opinion. :D

ax1709cjm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ax1709cjm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Whilst, I think about it, here is a picture of my Ogwen pottering round the Hoole Railway. Hope the attachment works, not tried attaching an image before...
med_ogwen1.jpg
med_ogwen1.jpg (319.16 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

Oh and I forgot to say, I do have a scan of the manual that came with my engine (done for a friend who's lost his manual). Unfortunately it's quite big at around 3Mb. If you'd like a manual and can think of a way for me to get it to you, let me know.

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks everyone. Tips passed on.

ax1709cjm - the offer of the scanned manual is greatly appreciated but it may be that the original has in fact survived so I'll hold fire for now.

ossygobbin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ossygobbin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:57 am

ax1709cjm wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm Whilst, I think about it, here is a picture of my Ogwen pottering round the Hoole Railway. Hope the attachment works, not tried attaching an image before...

med_ogwen1.jpg

Oh and I forgot to say, I do have a scan of the manual that came with my engine (done for a friend who's lost his manual). Unfortunately it's quite big at around 3Mb. If you'd like a manual and can think of a way for me to get it to you, let me know.

hi, i know its a long time back but do you still have the ogwen manual i could do with a copy if ok.
thanks stuart

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Echo everything said so far.
My MH Ogwen is an absolute pig to light up.
Having lit, she runs like a Swiss watch, but should the gas blow out, a pig to re light.

Problems were eased by making a "fire iron" from a U shape of brass with an angled handle.
I use this to choke the air holes while lighting up, and remove after a short warm up time.
Again if the gas blows out, the choke is needed to re-light.

The gas tank/filler is quite poor.
Having got the loco to run, the slightest bump/lurch will have liquid gas passing over and extinguishing the flame.
Back to square one.
There have been several versions of gas filler; mine is on the side of the tank, so the loco has to be laid on side to fill.

I was in contact with John Hemmens a couple of years back, and he confirmed 460 grade steam oil.
No chance of any repairs/mods though.

I found RC on the reverser valve alone was not really enough.
Having added a servo to the steam valve to use as a regulator has helped to smooth the control.

I do like her, though!
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

ax1709cjm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ax1709cjm » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:41 pm

ossygobbin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:57 am
ax1709cjm wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm Whilst, I think about it, here is a picture of my Ogwen pottering round the Hoole Railway. Hope the attachment works, not tried attaching an image before...

med_ogwen1.jpg

hi, i know its a long time back but do you still have the ogwen manual i could do with a copy if ok.
thanks stuart
Hi Stuart, check your email, hopefully it's arrived. If not let me know, as I say it's quite big and may cause some email systems problems.

cheers

Chris

ax1709cjm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ax1709cjm » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Hmm, I think I've found a video I took at the same time as that picture above. I'll try attaching it - it may not work as I havn't done this befiore.

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:41 am

Quite nicely behaved, Chris.
I've still not visited Ian's line.

Stuart's Ogwen is the earlier Roger Marsh version, so the gas burner comments are not entirely valid.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.