Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:38 pm

"These look OK, Shaun, take them to the Myford and finish off the backs and ream please."

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Tread profile is next.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:40 pm

Are these wheels for the loco or tender?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:40 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:40 pm Are these wheels for the loco or tender?
These are the tender wheels. The Loco has is drivers, it all goes around on air, boiler in the frames etc, but the trialing pony wheel set is yet to be done.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:44 pm

I think you mentioned a while back you will be installing a SSP Slomo in the tender?

Terry recommends using ball bearings on the axles of wagons or tenders fitted with a Slomo, info below:

http://smallsteamperformance.com.au/kit ... or-wagons/

He is a top bloke, I have been very happy with the units I have purchased from him.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Same mandrel as used for the driver wheels. Clocked in the P & B floating 3 jaw to .005mm and then whurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Remove the feather of a burr

The Llewellyn Loco Works management are pleased with Sunday's out put from the Red Room workshop.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:55 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:44 pm I think you mentioned a while back you will be installing a SSP Slomo in the tender?

Terry recommends using ball bearings on the axles of wagons or tenders fitted with a Slomo, info below:

http://smallsteamperformance.com.au/kit ... or-wagons/

He is a top bloke, I have been very happy with the units I have purchased from him.
Yes, Terry has been very helpful, I have his supplied ball races for the axles.The Slomo will be in the tender, because I know more now than I did back then and it was too late to fit in the frames and be done with the water pump which is not needed for the wet leg coal fired boiler, but it is going to be there for a trickle feed for extended runs. The tender wheels are just over the recommended minimum diameter and I have RC car ball in bronze steering pivots for use as the draw bar between loco and tender for full movement with Zero back lash/play so hope fully no jerky jerky. The draw bar length will be adjustable to suit the track curvature. The POR curves are tighter than I would have liked but at other railways I can couple up closer for better appearance. Well that is the plan..............

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 pm

The draw bar will make a difference as shown in my early experimentations with inerita devices (before SSP Slomo was a commercial product):

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:42 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 pm The draw bar will make a difference as shown in my early experimentations with inerita devices (before SSP Slomo was a commercial product):
Super. Ballast wagon.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:15 pm

I like the idea of the "slomo" in the tender. While I greatly appreciate the contribution it's made to the realistic motion of small steam locomotives, I find that one thing I do not like is how difficult it is to hide the unit between the frames of a little 0-4-0. On a six-coupled locomotive like Lady Anne there is a good hiding-spot between the centre and back axle; it's not as visible. But on an 0-4-0, where one would expect to see quite a bit of open space 'tween the frames and axles on a "real" locomotive, there's a big clump of gears and chains. Putting one in the tender I think is a great idea.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:42 am

And a lot less expensive to boot..

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Keith S wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:15 pm I like the idea of the "slomo" in the tender. While I greatly appreciate the contribution it's made to the realistic motion of small steam locomotives, I find that one thing I do not like is how difficult it is to hide the unit between the frames of a little 0-4-0. On a six-coupled locomotive like Lady Anne there is a good hiding-spot between the centre and back axle; it's not as visible. But on an 0-4-0, where one would expect to see quite a bit of open space 'tween the frames and axles on a "real" locomotive, there's a big clump of gears and chains. Putting one in the tender I think is a great idea.
Yes, the bulk of the Slomech is obvious, but to my eyes far less offensive compared to seeing garden railway locos doing their best impression of 4468 going down Stoke Bank in 1938. :cry: I discovered the Slomo mech after I had started on this loco build, so a tender was added to fit it. Also I sourced a method for Zero back lash for the drawbar. More on this later. However with the tender Slomo there is still sprockets and chains between wheels and the two axles.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 pm

So far nothing has surfaced that fits the need of the Llewellyn Loco works No1 tender. So senior management have been working on the drawing for an investment casting for the dummy tender axle box and spring. These are being cast by Mike at Stannier Engineering in NZ. The drawing is created via 3D CAD then an STL file is emailed and he 3D prints the wax and has them cast (white bronze) and will ship to Australia in the near future.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Senior draftsman at the Llewellyn Loco works has also worked on the drawings for the Pony truck. It will have bronze split bearings so a 45mm axle set can be quickly installed via 10 BA bolts. The workshop team will tonight make a start on the frame stretcher that the truck pivot bolts to and the grate removal pin.

An example of the 2D workshop floor drawing.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:09 pm

The dummy axle box and spring look great and I sure the tender will match the quality of the loco (the basic looking Roundhouse tenders would not match).

It is a shame the 0-6-0 Slomo was not available when you started building the loco as it does not use a chain drive and the Slomo itself has transformed the running of all the locos I have fitted with these devices.

Try doing this with a live steamer without a Slomo and at a realistic speed without the loco falling off the table:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 am

That is an absolutely brilliant demonstration of the value of flywheel devices such as the SSP "slomo". I like the 0-6-0 one particularly: It is hidden much better than the 0-4-0 one. With its higher boiler, and lack of tanks, the Roundhouse "Billy" is particularly unable to conceal a device between its frames. Furthermore, I think it's still pretty useful to discuss the installation of the "slomo" device in trailing vehicles, because this allows it to work with any loco, including non-Roundhouse ones, and ones that have "inside" valve-gear or accessories like axle pumps.

Another device I find interesting for taming hyperactive locomotives is the centrifugal brake, such as one might find in the works of an old rotary-dial telephone. Somewhere online I saw a video of a Roundhouse "Bertie" with one of those in a tender. It pottered about the garden quite sedately, making a really good chuffing sound.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:30 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:09 pm The dummy axle box and spring look great and I sure the tender will match the quality of the loco (the basic looking Roundhouse tenders would not match).

It is a shame the 0-6-0 Slomo was not available when you started building the loco as it does not use a chain drive and the Slomo itself has transformed the running of all the locos I have fitted with these devices.

Try doing this with a live steamer without a Slomo and at a realistic speed without the loco falling off the table:

I learnt about Slomo's via your videos and others after I had the wheels all done and fitted to the frames. So then it was tender addition. For me the loco must move properly, that is more important than scale details. I hope mine does this.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Pony Truck Frame completed. While the just down the corridor, Senior management was dabbling with her paint brushes.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 pm

The collection of filing buttons is growing.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:45 pm

Inspired by her oil on board morning, it was then to the Red Room and up stairs to the kitchen to bake off her smoke box. I am sure this was in MAM's thoughts when she chose the oven. :scratch: