Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 pm Not sure why if I have ever driven a real train is relevant here? I haven't, and the prototype doesn't interest me as I just like running model trains outside. The one preservation group I did apporach was very clicky.

My point was that your life cannot be that hectic where you cannot find a hour to steam test. Surely this is something you would want to perform on a new loco to make sure it works within it's warranty period?

Anyway, back on topic I am interested in the super heater when you install it Dazza.
Tom_tom, I will get to braze up my boiler, soonish, but I will wait till I have a good free weekend so I can approach it with full energy and clear space, thus I will do a good job of brazing up my first boiler and enjoy this journey.
I am also still working full time and self employed and that can leave one a drained at the end of a 10-12 hour day in the bike making workshop. This week's evenings has seen me sliding into the arm chair with my new book and I am nodding off in 10 mins.
As for preservation groups, like most clubs, one can have a bad experience which can be down to just luck on who you first meet. Every club or group have the curmudgeons or those who feel threatened or pontificate to boast their self esteem, which is just simple unpleasant. Heritage railways also has it fairs share of egos ! Some times one just has to move on and try another group. Like I have in the last 12 months. The workshop and train crew at the Mary Valley Rattler are a nice bunch of lasses and fellas and it is nice. I am living the dream, I wish I did not have to earn an income and thus I could live the dream deeper. The hobby of railways, be it full size, or models and Model engineering is about doing it as you feel free and wish to do. There is no right or wrong way. Just do it and forget living or doing it for others judgment. In all , it is a first world problem to have .
:D
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 am

Sorry to barge in, but there is a misunderstanding here.

Tom, H.D. can't test his boiler because he hasn't brazed it yet. This is why he needs to set aside more than just a spare hour. I wasn't aware myself that the inspector will look at it before it's brazed or soldered, but this apparently is the case.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 am

Keith S wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 am Sorry to barge in, but there is a misunderstanding here.

Tom, H.D. can't test his boiler because he hasn't brazed it yet. This is why he needs to set aside more than just a spare hour. I wasn't aware myself that the inspector will look at it before it's brazed or soldered, but this apparently is the case.
Yep there is a misunderstanding as you haven't read what I said. I was talking to Ian about his new loco (Dazza doesn't have a new loco sitting in a box does he as he is building it). Ian hasn't steamed his new loco since he bought it because of apparent lack of time. If I bought a new loco from a manufacturer I would want to steam test it within it's warranty period in case of any issues.

Anyway, back to the trains...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 am

I agree Tom, New train would get me to steam it as soon as I received it, no matter what. The weather would be the only thing to stop me running it outside.

Who has that much filled time in any day.

Great work on the boiler Dazza. And good luck with your quest to get your Cat 2 and then Cat 1 :thumbright:
Last edited by FWLR on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:19 am

Sorry to detract from the subject of this thread and any misunderstanding. I was trying to explain why Dazza might not have enough time to make progress with his build. As for my loco what I said was it hasn't run yet. That's because I am not fortunate to have my own railway. I have steamed it a few times on a rolling road. It was a second hand purchase and I took the opportunity to buy it whilst it was available as they don't seem to come up too often and this particular one had had some additional mods. I knew it might not run for some time. Because of other commitments I only get to run my trains around half a dozen times a year.
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 am

Ian it isn’t anything against you. It is just a shame that some of us don’t get to run are locos as much has we would like too. I don’t, but I am going to run “Patricia Anne” later. It’s a beautiful day.

Sorry Dazza… :silent: :silent:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:43 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 am
Keith S wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 am Sorry to barge in, but there is a misunderstanding here.

Yep there is a misunderstanding as you haven't read what I said. I was talking to Ian about his new loco (Dazza doesn't have a new loco sitting in a box does he as he is building it). Ian hasn't steamed his new loco since he bought it because of apparent lack of time. If I bought a new loco from a manufacturer I would want to steam test it within it's warranty period in case of any issues.

Anyway, back to the trains...
I quite misunderstood the situation. My fault for not reading thoroughly. Shouldn't have bothered to comment. Won't happen again.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:48 am

Friday arvo, clean 974, well at least the platform side.
It is stinking hot! 35-38 degrees and humid.
Saturday light up at 3.00am
Change into my guard uniform and did the am trip.
After noon, off duty and had a nap in the guards van.
Stinking hot days, cold beer at the Aussie Hotel was so very nice.
Sunday Morning, lightup and then change into my kit.
Then my first full two full trips as trainee fireman. (I have done a bit of firing but this a big step up)
I was a bit rough but I got my swing better, landing the front of the flat 8' long grate on demand 75% of the time. Still to find my sea legs as part of the line is very much an Queensland branch line. AM trains on Sat and Sun fully booked. 200 punters on the cushions.
For the 1/50 return into Gympie I got the fire set right, starting the bomb up at the Monkland staff change stop 4kms out. Bombed it again 1.5 kms from the bank, needle was at 145, 3/4 glass and onto the bank we go, the needle came around to 175 and I had a feather most of the way up into Gympie. YAY! Beginners luck ;-) 7 on the hook (170 tons) Injector on once on the bank, and then for the arrival I bunged it on 300 meters before we crest into Gympie Station. I was pleased. A few guiding words from Adrian (Tutor) every now and then and I was happy chappie. Still a long way to go with learning the road. It is a complicated 22kms. We turn the loco back onto the train and have a 30 mins break. It was stinking hot.
Second trip all good but on the Gympie bank I had to toss 6 quick ones with 1km to go make sure we did not limp in, the needle was coming back. (can I blame the thicker end of day ash bed ?) I drank 2 litres from 4 am till 9.30 am, then over 5 litres of water during the two trips, then 2 more litres after the day and during the 2 hour drive home. Home at 9.00am pretty well knackered.
Did I mention it was hot.
No ME till I get the Reciprocating Steam Engine Ticket course out of the way next weekend. Lots of study this week before I am off again for a heavy three days exams and practical.
Living the dream.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:15 pm

I have been away from the Red Room for some weeks. Big, long and hot weekends up at the Mary Valley Rattler.

I have my reciprocating steam ticket. YAY! It means I can spend more time learning to be competent on the 12" to the foot scale choo choos.

I have some space and a need to spend some time in the Red Room.
Boiler is ready for cook up. I will approach that when I am more settled and have prepared some details.
I am looking at making a start on boiler fittings, gauge glass bits seem like a good starting point.

However I am seeking 9mm diameter hand wheels. Any one have a lead on a supplier ?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:16 pm

There is a wonderful 'traditional' workshop which makes fittings for a variety of loco model scales and may be able to help either from stock or made to order.... www.walsallmodelindustries.co.uk Might be worth a try?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 pm

No little loco work for some time, but I am trying to get the signalling progressing for the POR however my crew training at the Mary Valley Rattler is absorbing a lot of spare time and my weekends so the S and T work is slow.
Last Friday, I gave the fireman's side of #974 a good going over while listening to the Indian batsman make a mess of Australia. That took 7 hours. The light up chap should do the other side but..............

Saturday I got my first time on the R/H side (drivers side). Was on the driver's shoulder for the AM trip (as an observer), then I drove the PM trip with Adrian (Senior tutor driver) on my shoulder. 171 tons, 7 carriages, 170 punters on the cushions.
Did the shunt and stable. It is a twisty and up and down branch so learning the road takes a bit of time. A lot of momentum thought work-skill-process to learn, experience etc.
Sunday, lit up and then drove the AM trip with Adrian on my shoulder again. Slipped to a halt in a speed restricted section which had a load of grass on the track and a wee bit of mizzle about, it was a problem area the day before. Adrian lifted it and then I was back on the controls. I got an unexpected slip going onto a bridge but I caught it quickly and got it back as we were soon to go into a nob so had to try and not bog down. The weed train needs to get out there soon! Stuff grows here a foot every few days with the sun and if there is rain about which there is plenty of. I did not do the PM trip as I would be out of hours as I had lit up. Drove the 2 hours home, processing stuff in my head. Tutor was happy with my first trips and got me to book more shifts ASAP to keep my momentum going. That pleased me. A good weekend.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 am

How exciting that must be for you. Well done- a real accomplishment!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Keith S wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 am How exciting that must be for you. Well done- a real accomplishment!

Thanks Keith. My smile confirms my enjoyment. I still have a long way to go before I am ready to be assessed and passed out, but I am on the way.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:49 pm

No Red Room work on my loco or on the Potters Orchid Railway but for MAM running her Lady Ann kit chassis on air and all went well last week. It ticks over nice and slow, as they should ;-) . I have been having heavy weekends firing and driving at the Rattler. The video is of last Saturday and is made up on of the two trips to Amamoor. I am in the black hat and I can assure you it was hot and humid but not as cruel as previous weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZObo6Qb ... GTzDeIJLjY

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:45 pm

Assessed last Saturday and passed as "Class 2 Driver/fireman"
Picture is of the actual train I was driving during my assessment.
Boiler cook up is awaiting a free weekend, should be in July.
Pic is by Kyle Gleeson.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 am

Congratulations Dazza...Well Done. :wav:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:24 am

So that's where you been hiding Dazza!

Well done, must feel like a great achievement.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:09 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 am Congratulations Dazza...Well Done. :wav:
Thanks, it has been a busy time with all my spare time devoted to the Rattler.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:17 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:24 am So that's where you been hiding Dazza!

Well done, must feel like a great achievement.
Yes, the Red Room and POR has not seen any action for some months now, but I will be back on the loco build and the POR as the year rolls on as I will be easing my frequency on the roster at Gympie. It has been a very enjoyable journey for me, I do my best to give it "Proper Job Pride" and the crews at the railway are a good mob. It is a heap of fun being part of a good team. It was a special to be passed as a Class 2, I am the first new driver from Zero at the railway. I got stuck in these last 2 years , especially the last 12 months so I could have good clear run as guard and loco trainee before the wave of new chaps and lasses which are arriving now.
I am truly "Living the dream" and MAM is urging me to do so while I am young enough to enjoy it.
The boiler cook up is next, all set to go, just waiting for a clear weekend to arrive.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 pm

I had an 12 hour day on Tuesday at Gympie, light up, drive 974 the shunt loco till 2.00pm, we had carriages here and there and turning the guards vans on the table, then I fired the last few hours of the shunt. The constant shunting was very good for my upping my skills.
Mean while 967 was delivered back to the Gympie shed for final fit out and trails. I will be in Gympie all of next week helping out.
There was a special buzz about the shed.
A view down road # 2 through a clear shed, 967 has arrived back.

The view from the drivers side of 974 as I had the privilege to buffer up and make the first ever shunt movement of 967.

We tuned 974 for this photo op and for the local press.

Split again and we moved 967 to the northern end of the shed.

If this pic does not excite you ? There were comments about Jelly Fish getting hard.