Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
TonyW
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by TonyW » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:27 am

I used to drive full-size on the Festiniog Railway.

Personally, I can't stand Slomos either.

Each to their own.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:59 pm

Let me just check
Yep
Still Llewellyn Loco Works #1 thread
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:16 pm

Whistle equipped RH Taliesin with RCS receiver.

Slowmo wagon awaits a roof, doors and some details. Can you spot Captain Plod's mistake !

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:35 am

WOW Dazza, what beautiful looking Taliasin. The colour is fantastic, so is the lining.

Sorry though, I can't see Cap't Plods mistake. I am not that well up on things :dontknow:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:52 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:35 am WOW Dazza, what beautiful looking Taliasin. The colour is fantastic, so is the lining.

Sorry though, I can't see Cap't Plods mistake. I am not that well up on things :dontknow:
Thanks, Matt Acton's lining on Victorian Maroon, not my work.
I have added some ballast as it is slippery engine.
Then the Slomo wagon transformed the way it will move, slow shunts and carry through curves.
The wagon Slowmo cover mistake is the door is not fitted yet but the channel is set up to have the door open to the right. SIGH!
The other side is correct but this side is DOH!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:06 am

Ooops, I think we all have those moments Dazza.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:29 pm

What does one do on New Year's Eve when recovering from Covid ? Test steam the coal fired loco one has built. (It has been nearly 12 months since the loco build was first fired) Captain Plod can report that the steam test went very well with Welsh Beans as the fuel source. Radio Control tests to begin soon.
The cylinder drain design from the book is rubbish, wastes a lot of water with it's leaks. Next time I would use a central valve with pipes to the cylinder design.
Plod was enjoying myself. Stop every 15 minutes to bomb the box and top up the water.
64 mins of running before the grate was dropped.
Then Plod did a 115 mins, stop every 15 mins to bomb the box and water. He tried 20 mins but was a stretch to rescue the fire. Granted that was without load. I think he will leave the grate as it is. Also the drafting seems good for now. No plan to alter it. He used Kero soaked charcoal and it took 10 -15 mins to get 30psi, blower at 20 and Welsh Beans, but he started adding Gunnadah as well after 15 mins, about 20 -30% when he had got a good hot fire bed . Which gave it more aroma. He could have kept going but it was tea time, so he let it burn out to get a total of 115 mins running on the grate.

Next will be on the track test with tender. Plod might do the radio tests as well. Might be today if he has the energy.
Happy New year to all the Gladdies

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:52 pm

Mr Specture is lurking, he has some final reports to do soon. It seems that Head Office is getting a bit toey for him to resume his inspections of other railways.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:04 am

Great photo of your test. It looks like you have had a brilliant result there.

Happy New Year to you Dazza & MAM. :wav:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:28 am

FWLR wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:04 am Great photo of your test. It looks like you have had a brilliant result there.

Happy New Year to you Dazza & MAM. :wav:

Thank you.
Next is to check the servo operation and do some track runs if the weather permits this weekend. There is a lot of rain about again. Also I want to test fire with the heating briquettes which I notice are imported from Germany. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I plan to use the briquettes with a dabble of Gunnedah pieces mixed in for the clag aroma. Any how I had to knock off this arvo from the task of SBR rail head removal due to rain.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:10 pm

Finally got back to some bench testing and then some runs on the POR metals
Welsh grains and every now and then some lumps of Gunnadah is tossed in for effect and aroma.
All went well with steaming times over 90 mins till the grate needed a clean. New bar grate much better than the Rosebud.
New Roundhouse regulator was modified and fitted for RC ops
Blower linked up to a servo is next.
Considering refiting the water pump and tank that I made. I want to ensure clack reliability.
Getting closer to pull down paint time. Will be 2024 I expect
We are tripping to the UK soon, I have three weeks volunteering at Boston Lodge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ549BErmss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiB4UBK83Qs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgN6meo1mpI

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:11 am

Nice videos there Dazza. Love the first one disappearing through the gorge. :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:54 pm

Captain Plod re-visted the axle pump problem on the Llewellyn # 1 Loco build. He located the problem.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:59 pm

Plod made his Goodall valve to some published dimensions. It leaked a wee bit at times. Looked at a Round House one and the shank for the silicon tube is 3.50mm rather than 3.175mm. Sunday morning after writing some jibber for RITG magazine he hacked at some LG2.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:01 pm

Captain Plod tested the water pump and he was pleased the inclusion of a 1.60mm cross hole in the banjo bolt seems to make it work. Who would have thought that would be important ? Next is the bypass valve to receive some attention. He was never very happy with it, but he has a cunning plan.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:12 am

Nice that Dazza, well worked out :salute: and now to test it and give us another one of you brilliant videos.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 29, 2023 7:33 am

I'm in awe. That one item is in itself a work of art. So how many works of art does your loco comprise, I wonder?
I love seeing how a chunk of brass rod can be turned (geddit?) into a mini masterpiece.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:58 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:12 am Nice that Dazza, well worked out :salute: and now to test it and give us another one of you brilliant videos.
Thanks, It may be a while till normal programing returns here. MAM and I are just back from the UK. I did a stint at Boston Lodge and some most enjoyable trainee trips on all three Garratts. (My tutor on this day was Matt, he is a first officer on 737's.)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:49 am

Glad you had a great time in the UK. Hopefully we will get to see you again in the near future, although I know it must take some organising and not to mention the cost.

I did get to meet you though and that was such a thrill to see someone with your abilities.

Take it easy and rest, it must take it out of you and MAM.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:58 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:49 am Glad you had a great time in the UK. Hopefully we will get to see you again in the near future, although I know it must take some organising and not to mention the cost.

I did get to meet you though and that was such a thrill to see someone with your abilities.

Take it easy and rest, it must take it out of you and MAM.
It was a nice arvo at David's.
One of stints on the Garratts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_bICOZm10