Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:46 pm

HugoFitz wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:16 pm Many times I learn little details and ideas from the most seemingly on the surface nothing type of pic, however a request has been made that I restrict my pictures to only poignant image for longevity of this forum, which I fully appreciate, so I will slow/limit my pic posting down to a few every few weeks. Go to the flickr album if you think it may be of interest.

This I find to be one of the ironies in life, your amazing detailed photo were at least half of my motivation to chip in to help fund the forum! Anyway, this must be a Thursday, I never did get the hang of Thursdays...

Disclaimer, I'm not complaining it does make sense.
"In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn’t cope with, and that terrible listlessness that starts to set in about 2:55, when you know you’ve taken all the baths that you can usefully take that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the newspaper you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o’clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul."

You have reminded me that I shall send a contribution.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:37 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:16 pm ...however a request has been made that I restrict my pictures...
There seem to be some confusion here?
Restriction applies only to the pictures "attached" to the forum, NOT to the pictures "linked" to the forum (like you have to do on another forum where you post: https://modeleng.proboards.com/) and since you already host your pictures on Flickr (I do follow you :thumbright: ) there is no problem doing it here as well...

I know that you attach pictures here rather than link them to where they are hosted, but it is a simple matter of doing on this forum what you are doing already elsewhere :dontknow:

Anyway - your pictures, your thread, you will do as you please :mrgreen:
Thank you for posting :thumbup:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:21 pm

bambuko wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:37 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:16 pm ...however a request has been made that I restrict my pictures...
There seem to be some confusion here?
Restriction applies only to the pictures "attached" to the forum, NOT to the pictures "linked" to the forum (like you have to do on another forum where you post: https://modeleng.proboards.com/) and since you already host your pictures on Flickr (I do follow you :thumbright: ) there is no problem doing it here as well...

I know that you attach pictures here rather than link them to where they are hosted, but it is a simple matter of doing on this forum what you are doing already elsewhere :dontknow:

Anyway - your pictures, your thread, you will do as you please :mrgreen:
Thank you for posting :thumbup:
The request was from the moderator of this forum, so I was obliging.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:31 pm

If this does not work then I will not bother, yeah I had a look at the announcement but it seems to involve more complication to me and I am not going to add more.

So I if use the "
Insert Image button and paste in my "https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/509 ... f7fe_b.jpg" from Flickr
then I am using forum space up, I appreciate that this is valuable
such as this pic

But if I use Insert URL button such as https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewelly ... ed-public/

then I am not using forum space ?

If that does not work then I won't bother any more. I am not starting another location for pics and sharing, dropping and dragging into from my Flickr albums, Flickr is where all my ME and work pics go, it is my library that I pay $ to have host my pics.
So I just insert links to the thread's text or perhaps I not bother. I used bicycle forums for years with a layout similar to this forum and hence I was at ease with it's use. The 16mm association do a great job but for not having a proper forum and using Facebook is non functional for build threads and research and their message group is not agreeable to me ATMCO.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:57 am

I will follow you Dazza, wherever you choose to share you pictures :thumbup:

I agree with you, that:
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:31 pm ... 16mm association do a great job but for not having a proper forum and using Facebook is non functional for build threads and research and their message group is not agreeable to me ATMCO.
but I think that this simply reflects the will and preferences of membership?

I prefer "proper" build threads with a lot of pictures and "on topic" discussion about them, but...
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:31 pm ...If this does not work then I will not bother...
and move on :salute:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:22 pm

bambuko wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:57 am Image

I will follow you Dazza, wherever you choose to share you pictures :thumbup:

I agree with you, that:
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:31 pm ... 16mm association do a great job but for not having a proper forum and using Facebook is non functional for build threads and research and their message group is not agreeable to me ATMCO.
but I think that this simply reflects the will and preferences of membership?

I prefer "proper" build threads with a lot of pictures and "on topic" discussion about them, but...
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:31 pm ...If this does not work then I will not bother...
and move on :salute:
Thanks, I have no idea what I will do.
My model Engineering learning journey is here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 1626418076
Our first attempt of a garden railway , the Potters Orchid Railway is here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 4810620477

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:07 pm

Dazza, the Forum, having recently been threatened with termination, has been defended and supported by so many members to enable it to continue. A number of individuals have agreed to take on responsibility of its running and moderating, for which we share a debt of gratitude. It is only by following the guidelines requested for its extended lifespan that we will be able to enjoy its content and contact with other users for years to come.
I am not an engineer but always follow your posts and enjoy our chatter. If you decide not to continue then, possibly, others like me will not be following your flickr account, or any other, as it has no two-way communication, just images which only you fully understand.
Being restricted to two images, or following alternative ways, is a small price to pay for the wonderful community we enjoy here. I hope you will see that too.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by HugoFitz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:59 pm

[quote=bambuko post_id=160822 time=1613285847 user_id=1962]

I agree!

75% of my Garden Railway forum activity is following this thread...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:08 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:07 pm Dazza, the Forum, having recently been threatened with termination, has been defended and supported by so many members to enable it to continue. A number of individuals have agreed to take on responsibility of its running and moderating, for which we share a debt of gratitude. It is only by following the guidelines requested for its extended lifespan that we will be able to enjoy its content and contact with other users for years to come.
I am not an engineer but always follow your posts and enjoy our chatter. If you decide not to continue then, possibly, others like me will not be following your flickr account, or any other, as it has no two-way communication, just images which only you fully understand.
Being restricted to two images, or following alternative ways, is a small price to pay for the wonderful community we enjoy here. I hope you will see that too.

Yes, I recall this and I recently sent some $ to assist with the forum's survival.
Two pics in one post per day up to 7 days a week, that is OK, of course I am not going to do that. I do not think I have averaged 14 pics a week since October 2017

I also have no need to have "followers" as that feels like my working day. I share as I like others to share to enjoy, learn and show that something that may be of use to others.

I leave it at
two pics per week if I remember on weekends to do this.
Cheers D

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:53 am

Red Room action, whistle and RC has been fitted to MAM's Slomo equipped loco. Test tun and lovely soothing shunting speeds with 40 - 41m minute actual run times achieved. ( excluding steam raising time)

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:09 am

Progress on the coal fired loco, CAD drawings and then metal work follows.
New tooling for fine metric thread cutting as I intend to banish the dreadful button dies and ME threads from my life. Pic is M5 x 0.5 being cut.

Main steam mount in LG2 Bronze. All one piece.

Also the lubricator was made. Wilson's book mentions the oil hole as 1.00mm or smaller. That defines nothing so I measured MAM's Roundhouse one and it was 0.45 -0.50 mm so I will try 0.45mm , it is easy to enlarge if required.

More M5 x 0.5 threads for the boiler back head fittings in LG2

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 am

Lovely bit of work that! I really need to work have a look at thread cutting, not 100% happy with the results I’m getting with my tail stock die holder but my lathe doesn’t have a gearbox so it’s a pain setting up when free time is limited!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am

Thanks for your photos Dazza. I for one love seeing your work and hopefully you will continue to post on here. I enjoy seeing an engineer who shows off his excellent workmanship to rival the big boys. There is too much Big Brother mentality in the world, meaning they seem to have a monopoly with live steam. Your work is a joy to see and seeing MAM's Lady Anne doing 40-45 minutes run time is fantastic.....

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:18 pm

Great to see further progress, Dazza. I certainly admire your skill and ingenuity, though I have only half an inkling of the engineering principles of live steam locos.your attention to detail is really impressive.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:00 pm

Garethh wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 am Lovely bit of work that! I really need to work have a look at thread cutting, not 100% happy with the results I’m getting with my tail stock die holder but my lathe doesn’t have a gearbox so it’s a pain setting up when free time is limited!
13 years ago I lashed out and bought and imported a almost new Myford 254, it is lovely and it sat in it's crate for 5 years. I finally got set up my ME room and then got the precision level and test bars and set the lathe up carefully. It works a treat, I can chase 0.01 mm with out much trouble but for the lack of a graduated wheel on the tail stock and a few others things. I will fit a DRO one day and cure such things. Also I am yet to find out the info for a 32 and 40 TPI gear train. Myford today have no idea what it would be, hard to believe. I will also add, the Eccentric Turning tools are the best for ease of use and clean cutting. I do have a grinding set up, diamond hones and I polish off the tools on 1500 grit. It is all self taught, read, watch and try things out.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am Thanks for your photos Dazza. I for one love seeing your work and hopefully you will continue to post on here. I enjoy seeing an engineer who shows off his excellent workmanship to rival the big boys. There is too much Big Brother mentality in the world, meaning they seem to have a monopoly with live steam. Your work is a joy to see and seeing MAM's Lady Anne doing 40-45 minutes run time is fantastic.....

Thanks, I will post here and there, but I am devoting less time to posting for various reasons. Facebook is a dreadful means to share knowledge or learn from , it is fleeting fluff, OK for 5 mins and then it is swept away and cannot be used as a reference to back to. I wish the 16mm association would use a forum, this one or such like. 41.5min from leave the sidings to out of gas and shunt under the remaining steam back in the same siding was the best we had.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:10 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:18 pm Great to see further progress, Dazza. I certainly admire your skill and ingenuity, though I have only half an inkling of the engineering principles of live steam locos.your attention to detail is really impressive.

Rik
Thanks Rik, I simply read and keep pushing on. I also refer to your videos, such as setting MAM's RC stuff.
I am not a modeller, not since I was 15 yo and Airfix and my small model railway was abandoned when I started work and racing bicycles which took over my life and the 15 years that followed of arrested development.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Captain Plod got some hours in the Red Room (World wide headquarters of the Llewellyn Loco Works) over the weekend. The push is on to try to make it to steam tests by the end of this year. Finally got around to sorting out the stainless smoke box door hinge straps getting them brazed into the door's milled grooves, including the in house bespoke made dummy stainless rivets. Then the dart and delicate brazing, using Swiss DT bicycle spokes for the 1.50mm handle material.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am

Excellent work again from you Dazza. You do get things done fairly quickly.. :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:19 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am Excellent work again from you Dazza. You do get things done fairly quickly.. :thumbright:
Thanks, perhaps it may seem I am quick but in reality I fuss and cuss and a slow worker, but I don't sit and watch TV every night, I don't go to pubs, I rather do stuff and not waste my remaining hours on this rock.
Last night I made the hinge pin and then worked on the design and drawings for the pump bypass valve that will hide in the water tank cell.