Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:43 pm

bambuko wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 pm ...so far using my hand wheel feed on the mill/drill and the DRO on the quill Z I am yet to break one. But crikey I go at a 0.10 -0.15 mm per second with the feed....Never a drill chuck. I never use a drill chuck with any drills in the mill/drill.
I couldn't possibly use direct feed on my Bridgeport for such small drills.
I use micro drill adapter:
http://www.penntoolco.com/llambrichusa- ... -adapters/
Unfortunately my budget doesn't extend to $600 for such a thing, so I have Chinese knock-off :cry:
You get what you pay.... hence my experience :mrgreen:
I just use the fine feed hand wheel , worm thing. I rigged up a $50 digital DRO on the quill so I can good understanding of the depth and feed rates etc etc.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:51 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 am Not intended as a criticism, but presumably the smoke box will be painted so why not brass rivets? Certainly a lot easier to obtain and to rivet into place.
On reflection, having been following this thread for some time I am beginning to feel that you are perhaps a little masochistic and want to do things the hard way, whichever you are still doing a fantastic job on this loco.
It is not about doing things the hard way as I am emulating the smoke doors on some Talyllyn, Welshpool & Llanfair and the tank locos of the Vale of Rheidole locos where the straps are bare steel. The door will be painted but not the hinges, so I used stainless to keep it all neat. One aspect I spoke of earlier in this thread that this build project is a skill and knowledge acquisition process towards my Magnum Opus build which will be another 5" gauge loco.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 pm

While listening to the cricket , one hinge strap filed down, the other one nearly there. Left it for tonight when I feel a bit brighter. Do not want to mess it up. Channeling the great George Daniels.

I am yet to make the dummy rivets, in stainless 8)

However management wanted a curvaceous shape for this mongrel free lance build. Channeling Nigella.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:04 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 pm While listening to the cricket , one hinge strap filed down, the other one nearly there. Left it for tonight when I feel a bit brighter. Do not want to mess it up. Channeling the great George Daniels.

I am yet to make the dummy rivets, in stainless 8)

However management wanted a curvaceous shape for this mongrel free lance build. Channeling Nigella.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm

Also, I used a free machining grade of stainless steel, not 316 or such like, bought for a few dollars via ebay. It is not not at all difficult to use. I tried drilling 1.00mm holes with Sutton twist drills, they did not do well, so I just got out the Carbide PCB drills, dirt cheap via ebay and all went sweet. Slow steady feed with no jerks and all is sweet.
The pic is 0.50mm hole being drilled in the silicon bronze expansion link supports for kicks and giggles oil hole, the same can be done in stainless, even 316 or gauge plate. These drills make dust, not twirls of jamming swarf and being carbide they are brittle but do not blunt readily.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:04 pm

I got a cheap little Rotary table some time ago and never used it, till last night when it was just the ticket to get the 24.55mm radius on the upper part of the petticoat.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 pm

1" Brass, a wee spin in the Myford. The Turnado turning system put the radius on the Chimney base piece.

Then one hour with the files and grits while ABC jazz was on the radio has one side blended in.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 am

Nicely done, I need to do the same on my 5" loco as the chimney base is not finished off evenly on all sides.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:42 pm

By knock off time last night Wal was pretty chuffed with the work from the shop floor.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 pm

Perfection, a shame to paint it!

Tom the blacksmith
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom the blacksmith » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:53 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 pm Perfection, a shame to paint it!
Couldn't agree with you more Tom, spot on Dazza!

Looking forward to whatever is next,

Best,

Tom

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Blast pipe last night.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:46 pm

More top quality work Dazza. The Turnado system I understand to be using hand held tools which I know more as Graving. The people I know who use Graving are the 2mm finescale workers where they are making very fine cuts most of the time.

Don

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:44 pm

Making stuff in the Red Room, doing stuff the hard way :lol:
However it is a journey of skill acquisition that is fun

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:48 pm

Making tools to make the 1.60mm diameter rivets for the smoke door hinges.
I will not be surprised if this does not work, but I have a few approaches to try with this method.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Last night was proof of concept. I was pleased it worked. I made a second one to ensure it was not a fluke. I will make the rest of them soon and alter the settings to get a flatter dome.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:29 pm

When you say 1.6mm dia rivet, do you mean stem dia or head dia?
Impressive, regardless of which :mrgreen:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:13 am

bambuko wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:29 pm When you say 1.6mm dia rivet, do you mean stem dia or head dia?
Impressive, regardless of which :mrgreen:
1.60mm diameter head
1.00mm diameter shank.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Squeeze the tweezers too hard and "Ping" , two were teleported to another time and dimension last night. One was ruined, too tight a fit. But the last one was made in 15 mins, I am getting across the process and feel. 5 to go. I use a sharp centre pop to make them a press fit. The hinges will be silver brazed into the door. It is fun. Not some thing I want to do every week and I will be sated when these are done.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:22 pm

Looking forward to you starting your 5" gauge loco given the standards you set yourself.