New Millie

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: New Millie

Post by markoteal » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Another quick query - after a few more runs (which have been great) the regulator is becoming a little slack - guess the various nuts and bolts are bedding in - to tighten it up, do I need to alter the nut just in front on the regulator - is there a right way? and how tight does it need to be? the regulator seems to 'move out' on the screw (sorry for the description - I'm not an engineer!)
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 pm

I think that the Millie is a cracking little engine. In a way it is like going back 30 years to the very first mamods (okay, I know that a Millie will run great from the box). But what you have is a nice simple engine that is just crying out to be personalised and spived up a bit. Loads of things to bolt on and adapt as and when. A wonderful opportunity to make something unique.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

f.schulz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by f.schulz » Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Hallo Mark,

Your problem with the regulator is not really a problem.
As I understud the retainer nut is moving during the throttel is changed from closed to open, following it becomes unsealed. :shock:
Tighten the scrab nut with the fingers until she remains during moving the throttle. It even helps to avoid this by lubrificate the small O-ring with vaseline. For this You have to unscrew the nut and the throttle than You see the red 0-ring.
The valve is from the beginning not 100% steam proof to the cyliders. This will become better with the time or you seat it in. :P
In Germany I do this with toothpaste on the sealing face beneath a unamusing Football Play. After 2 half times open and close it shoud be steamproof.
But i did need this technik only with my RC valve not with the manual one.

Similar it was with my Darjeeling but not so strong, so i spared the action toothpaste!

All works on this valve and other parts on the loko with much care please and without great power! Otherwise You get it damaged and need an new one.

Best regards

Frederic

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 am

There is a huge discussion about how tight is tight on nuts and bolts. My colleague who has 2 hands like coal shovels and plays rugby on semi-proffesional level has another "tight" then I do. :lol:

As with every "master", you only become one by making mistakes. Better do the mistakes that way that you can undo the damage, thus gently tighten the nut first. If it comes loose in a short while, put it a little bit tighter the next time, just untill it only comes loose in about every few months, eventually it will stick on it's place anyway. You only need to deform the o-ring that much that it touches the surface of the regulatoraxle to seal it off. Vaseline indeed will help it "glide" better.

Better a few times retightening than overtighten it and get the internal organs damaged. Only use tools on joints between pipework (so called unions) and if you use tools, keep them between your finger and thumb, so it can slip easily when it's tight. If you keep it in your fist, like a 3/4" spanner, you can't "feel" when its thight. That way you will tear up the thread and that is a difficult damage to repair.

It's like judging in advance how much force you probably need to get it fixed. If you use your fingers, the force is in your wrist. Gentle, subtile, agile, but not so strong. If you use your fist, the force is in your upper arm, more monkey like. :lol:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 am

Cheers Daan & Frederic - great feedback - I'll have a fettle over the coming days and see how we get on - think its just me "getting used to things"

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Now named and numbered

Post by markoteal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Finally got around to naming the Millie - until now all motive power has carried the names of current and deceased pets ( I know!) - for my first steamer I decided I would start a series of locos based around a topic - aka as happens in the 'real world'

So being based in Kent and seeing regular flyovers by WW2 fighters, I decided I'd start in this area - so Millie has become
one.png
one.png (959.14 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
two.png
two.png (895.44 KiB) Viewed 5977 times

No4 - Spitfire

I took my time fitting the plates, using the masking tape approach recommend by John Lythgoe who I obtained the plates from - very pleased with the result - and after numerous steaming, they are still on there!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Great name, looks the part. Shame she does not sound like a Merlin engine though :thumbup:

Did you see the spitfires fly over yesterday at home as I am in Kent as well?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Yes, Spitfire flypast in Deal yesterday. I think it was the Royal Marines' annual visit.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Yes I did, well I heard them well ahead of seeing them - I think they were displaying at Headcorn (as well as at Deal) - the Battle of Britain event - I'm near TWells and we tend to be on the westerly out route before they go north or south to avoid the Gatwick stacks.

I think a dual seated one is based there as we regularly see it up above with another plane close by taking pics of the lucky person in the second seat.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Nice job there.
(The grapes in the background seem to be doing nicely as well :lol: )

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am

Cheers Jim - yes the grapes have done well - this year - we grow the vine for leaf coverage on a fence rather than for the grapes - the challenge is that in France , they might grow 10 - 12 bunches off each vine - on ours because it runs over 100ft along the fence, we've got probably 200 bunches, but they never gather enough flesh to be really viable - come September they are nearly all seed!

As you'll see from a more recent photo they are growing and the CHLR does have a vendage season, where we use the railway to clear all the bunches - I'll try nd take some pics this year!
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG (813.44 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I have had a 'Millie' for about five years, and she is still my favourite locomotive just to let run. The first 10 hours of running time she was decidedly skittish with the regulator not taking that much adjustment between 'gentle plod' and 'warp speed.' However, she now has a very nice level of control especially on the relatively flat temporary basement line I am using at the moment. Mine has gained a full cab, cylinder covers, and a safety valve bonnet, and I am wondering what over "fluffy dice" items I can add.

My other favourite locomotive is one of the Roundhouse Annas from c.1990 which is also a docile beast.

Cheers,
Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:57 am

Yes I'm looking at a few more bling items - cylinder covers are on there, riveted buffer beam overlays are on the list already and I'm also planning some cab steps from Locoworks - look a nice detailed add on

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 am

Just a quick update - videos to follow

Spitfire has now had remote control fitted by Matt at Barley Pit Works and he's done a great job - there are some photos below - the receiver and battery are tucked underwear and the driver stands proudly on the servo , virtually hiding it! No need for a cab or tender fitting which best suited my twisting industrial style line.

Its changed driving her from being fun but manically stressful if she took off to now being a slow speed enjoyable drive - she's rostered for the stopping service this weekend where as she normally has to run the express as stopping accurately at intermediate stations has not been possible

Will try and get some video up this weekend
one.png
one.png (577.04 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
two.png
two.png (600.83 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
three.png
three.png (580.4 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
four.png
four.png (566.24 KiB) Viewed 5609 times

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

You can always run an inertia wagon in your trains now Mark, with R/C it will be great.

I have one you can try.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 pm

I've got one already :thumbup:

Yes with that hooked up, I can get her to crawl along, up and down the bumps on the line

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am

Thought I'd share a couple of photos of CHLR's Millie at speed at the recent Kent 16mm steam up
spitfire.png
spitfire.png (567.82 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
Compared to the tight and gradient heavy CHLR, Spitfire was able to open her cylinders fully and get up to NG 'Main Line' speed - at times the safety wasn't blowing - which if you know a Millie means she was working hard - the momo wagon (disguised as a coal wagon) helps tremendously

I'm now adding more 'bling' in the shape of buffer beam overlays, more coal in the boot, step inlays - with cylinder covers and other upgrades planned

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Get those wheels painted and the buffers chemically blackened or painted Mark :thumbup:

I was impressed with the control you now have of the loco since R/C was installed.

When you need to change direction does the loco require a fair bit of force to push/pull it? I was wondering if on your line at home if you had raised track at the end of each station you could let the loco roll back after stopping to then run around your run round loops?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes, wheels, rods and buffers in the blackening list band thanks for the feedback about control - much more relaxing

To change direction, the loco needs to do one 'chuff' in the opposite direction (about one rotation of the wheels) - at the moment its need 'Maradona's hand' to change direction but having inclines is an interesting idea - I think for it to happen without any outside help would involve inclines more akin to a funicular!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:59 pm

I tried this with a single cylinder Archangel Brick. You do need a steep slope and it is very dependent on how far the regulator is open and how much pressure is in the boiler.

Probably a non starter.