Aster Kiso Forest Baldwin on the bench

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Aster Kiso Forest Baldwin on the bench

Post by dewintondave » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:55 am

This week I've had the Baldwin on the bench. This loco hasn't been run for over 3 years. I built this loco from a kit.

Checking the coupling heights, the loco has very low couplings.

Location of the water filler

Water filler

The water filler is sized to accept the luer taper of a medical syringe, which is fine if there is no pressure in the boiler. I just modified my spray bottle Goodall type end piece to fit the water filler.

Hopefully we'll get a run in tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:56 am

Had a longish run of the loco. It went OK, except that the axle pump didn't pump. I kept the loco in steam with the spray bottle.

I need to look at the pump valves

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:53 am

Looks like a pretty complex model for its size.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Keith S:114545 wrote:Looks like a pretty complex model for its size.
Complex is standard practice for Aster, I think.

Beautifully made and everything fits when you put it together, but the design is more akin to standard G1 loco practice. Their kits run to a lot more parts than a Roundhouse kit.

Regards,
Graeme

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:25 pm

dewintondave:114534 wrote:I need to look at the pump valves
I suggest you also look at the O-ring (presumably) gland around the pump ram. These are notorious for allowing air in to the system if not adjusted correctly. If any air is being drawn in it will stop the pump from working.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:31 pm

dewintondave:114534 wrote: I need to look at the pump valves
If it's anything like my Krauss, It's easy enough to get at the inlet valve, but the output valve will require major work to access. Hopefully it's just the inlet ball that is sticky.

I'm still getting used to running the Krauss, it runs nicely, but it keeps one busy.

Regards,
Graeme

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:54 am

Right, I've had most of the valves apart (one inlet, and two outlet side). I found some white water deposit on the ball of the check valve above the bypass on the outlet side, close to the boiler. Everything has been polished up and reassembled.

I was shocked at the white deposits, our tap water is better than the rainwater I had originally used our kettle is as clear as. My homemade locos are always fully drained at the end of the day.

I'm ready for another run.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:05 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing it run. Like all of your locomotives, it looks like a characterful little engine.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:22 am

I ran the loco today with the cab off, it's quite an interesting sight.

There's the water tank at the back, with the circular meths tank sitting right in the middle of it.

There's the meths control valve. And, on top of the boiler there's the regulator and blower valve. This is a type C boiler

Oh yes, the run was quite good, but cut short when the wind blew the fire out. At the end I thought that the pump was pumping, but I'm not sure.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

Alan P
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Alan P » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:32 am

Hi Dave, thanks for posting the pictures. I've never seen an Aster close up before and certianly not stripped down like that. Very interesting.
Alan.

The Milford Hill Light Railway

TMHLR http://www.alspcs.com/TMHLR.html

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:39 am

Had quite an eventful few weeks. I ordered some Nitrile balls from a UK supplier to use in the non-return valves. They weren't properly declared on the customs docket, and there was no paperwork with them. So, I got busted by the government agency for importing "seeds" :lol: Eventually they were released to me.

Using mouth applied suction, I determined that these Nitrile balls weren't going to seal too well. I reassembled with the original stainless balls and all appeared well.

I've just had a run of the loco, and it's pumping very well now.

In order to prevent this valve issue recurring I'm going to have to run this loco often. Weekly should do it 8)

This loco can be very fast. It really "comes onto the cam" at a certain speed. Next time I run it, I want to try a train with our battery electric loco in it, as a regulating load.

Now to reassemble the cab to the loco.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:46 am

A very interesting locomotive.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:59 am

Had an excellent run today. It's so exciting that I nearly forgot to top-up the meths tank - more than once.

The battery electric loco was run at the end of the train and was very useful at bringing the speed down. Most of the time the battery loco was being towed, the chain was tight. The battery loco also assisted greatly in starting the Baldwin. The battery loco was started, then full forward applied and the Baldwin rolled along, then I opened up the regulator and put a cloth over the exhaust to catch the gunk, and then it was off, soon pulling the battery loco along.

The pump pumped well. I was doing a whole circuit with pumping, then two circuits without. I got a bit confused and let the water get low. Shutting the loco down at the end of the run is easy, just turn off the blower, and the burner is very easy to blow out across the firebox.

After the run I was draining tanks and lubricator, but found the boiler was just about dry!

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 am

That's a neat little loco there, glad she's running well now. :)

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:42 am

Fantastic run yesterday evening hauling a long train of LGB stock, with the LGB loco at the rear. The cylinders are only 10 mm diameter, but it can really haul.

The axle pump was pumping to the boiler most of the time as the loco was working hard. The exhaust flow was impressive - hand over funnel. The exhaust sound is good, no chuffer required.

<object width="720" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mp9pz1Fgqfo?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mp9pz1Fgqfo?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="720" height="405" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Aster Kiso Forest Baldwin on the bench

Post by dewintondave » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:45 am

I had the Baldwin back on the bench, this time on the rollers. Great run, prolific steamer, lots of action :thumbup:

Best wishes,
Dave