Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:28 pm

The right hand side is done and it went smooth. Crikey that took some time but getting the process and fixture sorted is the time sink, now to solder up, neatly I hope.
The thing with such items is if they are not accurate, straight and neat they will look dreadful.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:54 am

They do look very nice Dazza, it would be a shame to ruin them by rushing it. But I know your standard of work is excellent so I don't think you will have any worries there.

There is one thing I have spotted though, the smaller of the rails looks like the rail second from the bottom is slightly longer. Or is it an optical illusion... :roll:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:40 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:54 am They do look very nice Dazza, it would be a shame to ruin them by rushing it. But I know your standard of work is excellent so I don't think you will have any worries there.

There is one thing I have spotted though, the smaller of the rails looks like the rail second from the bottom is slightly longer. Or is it an optical illusion... :roll:
You're right, but they are all over length, to trim later when soldered up and also to get the over lap on the other side rails to meet nicely around the 90 degree corner.
Speaking of soldering, my first solder attempt on the coal rails was a complete failure. I stopped before too much damage was done. The flux reacted badly with the aluminum jig even though the material was a wee bit proud of the alloy. The flux went to yuk. I am off to the Rattler this arvo for just one shift and back tonight so tomorrow I will make a simple soldering jig from stainless scrap and have another go. I was rather disappointed but I kept saying I learnt a lot last night and I know how to fix this....I have one rail and one upright to remake tomorrow, that shall not take too long. Jig making and then cleaning and setting up again takes time.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:54 am

Well I know that in the end you will have a model that will surpass any you could buy... :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 am

Captain plod who is new to this soft soldering caper had made some progress at the Llewellyn Locomotive Works. Soldering fixture for the coal rails was knocked up then the first side of coal rails took some time to sort out and clean and solder and then the second went much better and the third and last one breezed through. Now to clean them up, a wee file file file and join the three into one unit.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:39 am

FWLR wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:54 am Well I know that in the end you will have a model that will surpass any you could buy... :thumbright:
Yes, that may be true, but I sure hope it steams well and can move and shunt with smooth and realistic speed.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 am

Superb job there Dazza, I presume you were using a flame of some sort to provide heat, otherwise the jig would have sucked all the heat from a soldering iron.
Phil

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:26 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 am Superb job there Dazza, I presume you were using a flame of some sort to provide heat, otherwise the jig would have sucked all the heat from a soldering iron.

Thanks, I did use my work brazing torch with the small tip and the smallest flame I could use. My electric iron is only useful for small electrical work. The fixture is stainless steel which helps with lower conduction of heat and also it was only the top of the rivet heads were in contact with the stainless steel.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:17 pm

Zero slop drawbar for the Slomo tender. Not my idea, I got this from somewhere else in the GR world, I cannot recall where.
The drawbar length is adjustable for the undesirable curves at the POR

Tender is nearly done.

LG2 disc, split and then brazed back to the lump it came off . (left over LG2 from the cylinders) Then machined the pump strap on a stick, no CNC , but manual and very slow. Then remove, clean up, bolt up and bore to come.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:54 am

Looking very impressive Dazza. :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:19 pm

File file file, sand sand .
Now onto the other parts of this axle pump.

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:40 am

Beautiful job, makes my attempt at an eccentric strap look distinctly amateurish!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:55 am

Really nice work Dazza. You are a craftsman of distinction .. :salute:

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:41 am

Dazza, some very nice hand craftsmanship, I remember my younger days as "bench fitter" using profile gauges to complete my apprenticeship test pieces.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:29 pm

Llewellyn Loco Work's Captain Plod made the arm last night. Got to make 1/16" rivet snaps tonight, then onto the ram, case hardened pin and a wee bronze bush to go into the arm.

No photos here to save forum space, so for a few new pics go here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 1626418076

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Last Friday, up to Gympie, cleaned 974, Saturday lit up, 5am the lit rages went in, not breath of breeze in the shed and the light up wood was a bit sappy so smokey till it was well caught and hot, so 10 mins was spent outside the shed with a in a strong Brownian Motion producer till it cleared, 90 mins the needle moved which is the norm if done right, then fired the AM trip, Handed over to arvo crew at the table as I would be out of hours. Sun drove S10 and S11 out and back, then 2 hours drive home, then the two beers.

Pics here that may be of interest

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 1403229215

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:16 pm

Many times I learn little details and ideas from the most seemingly on the surface nothing type of pic, however a request has been made that I restrict my pictures to only poignant image for longevity of this forum, which I fully appreciate, so I will slow/limit my pic posting down to a few every few weeks. Go to the flickr album if you think it may be of interest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 1626418076

Any how, the lads at the Llewellyn Loco Works ponder a start on their first ever boiler fittings, the phosphor bronze was brought up from the stores, however before the swarf is flying about, a clean up of the workshop was done first to clear the craniums.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 pm

When I next need invasive surgery I want you to do it!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:21 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 pm When I next need invasive surgery I want you to do it!
I will give any surgery a go, payment up front, but no warranties on my work .

HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by HugoFitz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am

[quote="Hydrostatic Dazza" post_id=160723 time=1612995370 user_id=1888]
Many times I learn little details and ideas from the most seemingly on the surface nothing type of pic, however a request has been made that I restrict my pictures to only poignant image for longevity of this forum, which I fully appreciate, so I will slow/limit my pic posting down to a few every few weeks. Go to the flickr album if you think it may be of interest.

This I find to be one of the ironies in life, your amazing detailed photo were at least half of my motivation to chip in to help fund the forum! Anyway, this must be a Thursday, I never did get the hang of Thursdays...

Disclaimer, I'm not complaining it does make sense.