Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Dasher » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:40 pm

I never expected to see Tom Waits' ode to Curtain Twitchers on a Garden Railway Forum!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Dasher wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:40 pm I never expected to see Tom Waits' ode to Curtain Twitchers on a Garden Railway Forum!
The minds in management work in mysterious ways. Wait till Nick Cave's "Red Right Hand" gets a blast in the workshop. Loud enough to do the dusting upstairs in the barracks upstairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:32 pm

"Wal is stoked, he has so far carried out management's plan for the door hinges. Also progress on the Smoke box door set up for machining. Trying out the Loctite holding process and so far so good, the workshop mob have never been down this road before."

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:54 pm

The filling button collection is growing at the Llewellyn Locomotive Workshops. The smoke box barrel hinges parts are done.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:53 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:32 pm "...Trying out the Loctite holding process and so far so good..."
Can you please explain? what are you holding with Loctite?
Not quite sure I follow...

btw - your filing skills whilst not surprising (after all you have plenty of practice in your daytime job) are very impressive :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:18 am

Another brilliant thread from you Dazza. I just love to see a master at work with so much detail. Thank you.... :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:13 pm

bambuko wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:53 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:32 pm "...Trying out the Loctite holding process and so far so good..."
Can you please explain? what are you holding with Loctite?
Not quite sure I follow...

btw - your filing skills whilst not surprising (after all you have plenty of practice in your daytime job) are very impressive :thumbright:
The blank for the smoke box door is parted off the lump of LG2 bronze that was left over from the cylinders and steam chests. Both have been faced, then Loctite back together using a 2.5mm pin to line both together. Then the curved front face with a changing radius and edges will be machined using the Turnado system when it arrives here at head quarters next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs8XZ8X1I-g

Then take to the mill for the slots for the stainless steel hing straps to sit into, heat up top break the Loctite bond and then braze the straps and then file the profile them etc.
Well that is the plan management intends to follow for making the smoke box door.

Filing for me is a chore, 40 years of nearly daily filing leaves me jaded with it, however thank you for the compliment. Much appreciated. I am off this weekend to the Rattler to guard tomorrow and then two days of firing and driving.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:15 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:18 am Another brilliant thread from you Dazza. I just love to see a master at work with so much detail. Thank you.... :thumbright:
Thankyou , however I am not sure I am a master, I am terribly slow and I am just following what others have done many times before. I just copy techniques.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:46 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:13 pm The blank for the smoke box door is parted off the lump of LG2 bronze that was left over from the cylinders and steam chests. Both have been faced, then Loctite back together using a 2.5mm pin to line both together...
understand now :mrgreen: thank you :thumbup:
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: ...Then the curved front face with a changing radius and edges will be machined using the Turnado system when it arrives here at head quarters next week.
interesting, thank you for the link to youtube channel!
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Then take to the mill for the slots for the stainless steel hing straps to sit into, heat up top break the Loctite bond and then braze the straps and then file the profile them etc...
Look forward to seeing the results :thumbright:

Tom the blacksmith
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom the blacksmith » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi Dazzer,

Just in case no one else is a fan of where's Wally, I spotted Merv, lmao!

Have been away for a while and now catching up on your beautiful build thread and workmanship, keep it coming.

Best,
Tom

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:24 pm

Management purchased a '"Turnado" turning system and it arrived yesterday, so last night the workshop crew made a cross slide attachment to fit the 254 and the spacers. A few first test runs just now. The workshop crew are impressed. This will be used for the smoke box door, domes and later buffer heads and what ever comes along.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 pm

The Llewellyn Loco works floor head reports that the door profile is done. The Turnado profile tools worked a treat. Next, to the mill .

File, sand down to 1000 grit

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:51 pm

Door was held with a centre pin, loctite and clamp for the fear of moving. 0.30mm cut passes in fear. All worked out OK. Stainless steel hinge pieces underway. Drilling the 1.00mm rivet holes (decorative) wrecked normal twist drills, despite cutting fluid and sharp drills and avoiding rubbing. So out came the 1mm PCP board carbide drill which I have used before for 0.50mm holes. They make dust, not strings of swarf and hence do not jam or become blunt. Worked a treat .

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:43 am

Yes, stainless is a pig to machine :mrgreen:
I like using these carbide PCB drills :thumbup: as well, although when they break they usually leave bits of drill in the hole
PITA to get out...
Nice work

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 pm

bambuko wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:43 am Yes, stainless is a pig to machine :mrgreen:
I like using these carbide PCB drills :thumbup: as well, although when they break they usually leave bits of drill in the hole
PITA to get out...
Nice work
I use stainless a lot in my work but not in small sizes, so far using my hand wheel feed on the mill/drill and the DRO on the quill Z I am yet to break one. But crikey I go at a 0.10 -0.15 mm per second with the feed. I broke one with the back of my hand when brushed it by accident when in the collet. Only run the PCB drills in good collets say I. Never a drill chuck. I never use a drill chuck with any drills in the mill/drill.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Fitting up the hinge straps. these will be brazed in and sculptured to appear like straps riveted on the outside of the door. I am yet to make the stainless rivets.

The workshop floor manager is always pondering the next step.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:33 am

I do love seeing your progress Dazza. That door is looking great.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 pm ...so far using my hand wheel feed on the mill/drill and the DRO on the quill Z I am yet to break one. But crikey I go at a 0.10 -0.15 mm per second with the feed....Never a drill chuck. I never use a drill chuck with any drills in the mill/drill.
I couldn't possibly use direct feed on my Bridgeport for such small drills.
I use micro drill adapter:
http://www.penntoolco.com/llambrichusa- ... -adapters/
Unfortunately my budget doesn't extend to $600 for such a thing, so I have Chinese knock-off :cry:
You get what you pay.... hence my experience :mrgreen:

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 am

Not intended as a criticism, but presumably the smoke box will be painted so why not brass rivets? Certainly a lot easier to obtain and to rivet into place.
On reflection, having been following this thread for some time I am beginning to feel that you are perhaps a little masochistic and want to do things the hard way, whichever you are still doing a fantastic job on this loco.
Phil

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:57 am

Your "masochistic" is somebody else's "attention to detail" :mrgreen:
No, I wouldn't use stainless either, but it is Dazza's railway :thumbup: