Slip eccentric not changing direction

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Slip eccentric not changing direction

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi all, ive recently brought a roundhouse bertie and i have to say im very impressed with its performance but a minor problem has occurred in that it is hard to change its direction by pushing it, i believe this is because the regulator may not shut completely so i wondered;
how can i set the regulator right?
and whether its worth it as im going to convert it to radio control soon and i believe you have to fit a new regulator anyway so this should get rid of the problem?
cheers
Joe
Steam is highly under rated

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Sounds like the regulator is leaking steam which means that the o ring in the regulator is perished. Replacing the o-ring should fix the issue..
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Ok thanks. It could be that though I didn't see any wisps on steam escaping from the regulator

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:18 pm

The steam will be leaking through to the cylinders so when you try to push the engine it will be acting angainst you. A freinds Millie had the same issue.
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:22 pm

ah thanks i understand, i will give replace the O ring when get round to it but for now it will happily run in one direction

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:05 pm

Also, check when the loco is not in steam that the slip eccentrics are working: in other words, the wheels revolve before the valve gear starts to move. If lubrication has not been attended to, the eccentrics won't function, hence no change of direction. My Millie did this once when I got her out after a winter in storage. Moral: run all the year round!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Unless the design has changed, there is no O ring to seal the regulator. If it is leaking then placing the assembly in some vinegar over night then flushing through with a top up bottle should clear it. As Brian has said make sure the eccentric can move freely when not under steam. Its possible something has got in that shouldn't have, feathers were a favourite on my line. Spray a little WD40 around the area which should dissolve any gunge, then apply some fresh oil. The other option is to give the ever helpful people at Roundhouse a call.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks for advice , to remove the regulator for cleaning do I just unscrew the nut which connects the regulator to the steam turret ?

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Not quite. To remove the regulator you have to take the body off which is quite a long process the first time.

Start by undoing the pipe on the gas jet holder and loosen the screw to remove the gas jet holder.

Undo the nut under the steam dome.

Remove the rear buffer beam, this lets you access the screw at the back of the cab. Undo this as well.

This is the tricky bit. Carefully lift the body off, the pipework in the cab may need to be eased to one side as the cab comes up particularly the gas pipe and lubricator. Do not rush this, go nice and slow checking that the body hasn't caught on something.

With the body out the way, undo the pipe to the regulator. The regulator body should now unscrew from the steam turret, it will be tight and the lever may need to be removed.

As you can see its a long job to get it out so make sure that it is at fault before starting.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:35 pm

thanks for that description Dan, thats very helpful