Track Cleaning

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Track Cleaning

Post by Gralyn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Just finished running my RH Russell. After the run I set to and cleaned the track.I use apiece of cloth wrapped around a block of wood, it is fairly easy on the raised sections but hard on the back when the track is at ground level.
on a visit to Butterly in the summer I saw a wagon dripping IPA on the track to clean it.

Is there a recommended method for track cleaning after running a steam loco or is it an every man has his own method?.
Regards Graham.

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Track Cleaning

Post by KjellAn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Gralyn:104237 wrote:... I saw a wagon dripping IPA on the track to clean it.
Why Indian Pale Ale?
I think IPA is better down my throat ... 8)
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:39 pm

I've seen a tank wagon that dribbles either meths or parraffin (can't remember which) to soften the dirt. The drawback was that you needed to follow it quickly with something to remove the dirt altogether.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:37 pm

williamfj:104239 wrote:I've seen a tank wagon that dribbles either meths or parraffin (can't remember which) to soften the dirt. The drawback was that you needed to follow it quickly with something to remove the dirt altogether.
............... and at Butterley, we use a piece of what I think may well be carpet fitted round a piece of wood.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:24 am

MDLR:104242 wrote:
williamfj:104239 wrote:I've seen a tank wagon that dribbles either meths or parraffin (can't remember which) to soften the dirt. The drawback was that you needed to follow it quickly with something to remove the dirt altogether.
............... and at Butterley, we use a piece of what I think may well be carpet fitted round a piece of wood.
Ah that's what it was. at frst I thought it was a bit of dead sheep!
Regards Graham.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:50 pm

I personally have never bothered. One of the benefits of live steam and battery as I see it is no track cleaning!

How about butchering a cheap broom with a screw on handle? Remove the bristles, cut the head to size and attach a bit of rag with drawing pins. Soak the rag in a solution of your choice and away you go.

I agree that IPA is better drunk than smeared on the track! The Ale that is not Isopropol-whotsit. Although on the other hand............
:drunken:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:14 pm

I have to remove most buildings and lineside structures for protection from my dog and weather.  This means I can use a medium pressure water hose aimed between the rails and dwelling on the moving parts of my sm32 points.  Of course the muck gets chucked all over the trackside but this is of little concern as the buildings are safely stowed out of the way.  I do the hosing quite early before a running session if the track is dirty.  I find that after the water has run off or dried it leaves fine grit on the rails that can be heard when running the first train after cleaning.  This can easily be removed, if necessary, by quickly running a soft brush in the direction of the rails.
When I ballast the track I'm assuming this hose treatement will be even quicker and more effective.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:46 am

Tanks for that Andy. I have taken up with Big Jim's idea with a block of wood on the end of a bamboo cane. I have wrapped the block with soft leather and squirt a bit of WD40 on to it and run it along the track where it is at ground level. Saves bending over.
Regards Graham.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wondered if anybody had any photos of any track cleaning wagons? I heard recently of somebody who converted an LGB tank wagon for this purpose, and since I have on to hand I am considering a similar conversion, but I my attempts to find pictures have drawn a complete blank :?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:40 pm

MuzTrem wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:26 pm Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wondered if anybody had any photos of any track cleaning wagons? I heard recently of somebody who converted an LGB tank wagon for this purpose, and since I have on to hand I am considering a similar conversion, but I my attempts to find pictures have drawn a complete blank :?
Look on Rik's Peckforton Blogs for his track cleaning vehicle.
Philip