RC transmitter charging problem

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
philipy

RC transmitter charging problem

Post by philipy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:12 pm

I have a strange problem and I'd be glad of any help or advice.

I have a Planet TX5 transmitter which works fine. I've put 4x NiMh rechargeable batteries in it and they also work fine, but I am unable to recharge them actually in the transmitter. It isn't the end of the world to take them out and put them in a desktop charger, its just a nuisance.

I have a smart charger which I bought from Strikalite ( the battery people) and that works fine, but when I plug it into the transmitter charging socket nothing happens, neither the red charging light, nor the green 'fully charged' lights come on.

Before anyone asks I've checked the polarity of the plug and it is correct according to the little diagram on the back of the transmitter.

The only thing I can think of is that the pin in the socket is not making proper contact with the inside of the plug, but its a 2.1mm pin-size plug so I'd have thought it would be ok.

Any suggestions anyone?
Philip

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Post by WVLR » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Just going through the same thing myself with the same results, so I had a look at the PCB inside and it isn't a socket for a charger it appears to be for a power supply with the charging circuit built in.

I've not got around to putting volts across it and measuring the current delivered to the batteries yet, I'll do that when I have a bit more free time
Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Sadly there are about 3 different TX charging plugs all looking similar. You have to get the right one to connect.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 am

WVLR:102660 wrote:Just going through the same thing myself with the same results, so I had a look at the PCB inside and it isn't a socket for a charger it appears to be for a power supply with the charging circuit built in.

I've not got around to putting volts across it and measuring the current delivered to the batteries yet, I'll do that when I have a bit more free time
Thats interesting Mike. Please update when you have the time to check it out.
Philip

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:35 am

Some transmitters have a diode in the circuit so you can't use a smartcharger. Only a simple powersupply with a low current will work. Not be best way of charging though. Wiring in your own charging socket might be the way forward.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Busted Bricks:102681 wrote:Some transmitters have a diode in the circuit so you can't use a smartcharger. Only a simple powersupply with a low current will work. Not be best way of charging though. Wiring in your own charging socket might be the way forward.
Thanks, that makes sense. I've just looked at the TX manual again ( always a last resort!) and it says, "...use a correctly rated 4.8v charger to charge the rechargeable batteries" .
Philip