Glue for polystyrene kit??

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Glue for polystyrene kit??

Post by Mrs F Controller » Thu May 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Purchased a Nissen hut from Modeltown and put it all together with P38 body filler as it sticks can sand paint etc. But, the rounded corrugated roof is some form of polystyrene and so far I've tried body filler again, super glue and silicone all that happens is it peels straight off! Can't use araldite as it goes too runny and won't be able to put it on easily so that when it starts to flow it doesn't end up everywhere! Any ideas??

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu May 15, 2014 4:07 pm

I was about to sugest polystyrene cement but that is very runny. Have you tried epoxy resin ? When mixed its a bit like treacle.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

black cat
Cleaner
Cleaner

glue

Post by black cat » Thu May 15, 2014 4:07 pm

I use devcon epoxy .Should stick everything? put rubber banss around it..I expect you know all that..Phone modeltown and ask..I might buy one of those so I might even phone them first!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Evostick Ultimate - don't worry it isn't solvent based so it doesn't dissolve the styrene.

There are several versions in different coloured tubes. I'm not sure what the theoretical difference is but I prefer the one in the black tube
Available in all good ( bad) Retail Sheds.
Philip

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Thu May 15, 2014 8:20 pm

DLRdan:100673 wrote:I was about to sugest polystyrene cement but that is very runny. Have you tried epoxy resin ? When mixed its a bit like treacle.
Yes I have tried it and it's great but it does have a runny moment when it starts to cure. I haven't tried Evistick ultimate yet and I spent my lunch half hour in Robert Dyas (not a great place but it is in Loughton and handy for me at work) and read the labels on all the glues and fixatives ie no more nails, Evistick impact etc and they all state not to use with PE AND PP plastics!

Anyone tried a hot glue gun?? :scratch: :scratch:

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 15, 2014 8:41 pm

Not much will stick polythene and polypropylene ( PE and PP ) , except heat welding, thats why they say don't use them. Polystyrene is very different and many solvents will dissolve the surface, allowing it to bond with another disolved surface as it evaporates. The trick is to use a chemical that will evaporate before it eats further in than just a surface layer. Impact adhesives don't evaporate quickly ( 15 min) so they keep eating into the plastic.

Tbh I'm not sure of the ingredients of Evilstick Ultimate but I suspect it is silicone based and have you ever tried to get silicone sealer off ?!

I wouldnt even think about hot glue on styrene, it will melt.
Philip

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Thu May 15, 2014 11:11 pm

Well, I use to love silicone sealant and used it quite a lot but the last time I used it was with the plastic "tiled" roof sheets onto a wood base for the church roof. By a few months later in the garden the wind took the sheets off and the silicone was still stuck to the wood! In fact I stripped the church roof off with my 95 year old mum at Easter! All we used was our finger nails to pick it off in lovely strips from the wood before tiling it properly with slate (see another posting).

Ok have to admit to not being what type of plastic it is but I think you know the stuff anyway. This whole rebuilding exercise this spring is about getting the models sufficiently sturdy enough to be left out until the winter hence the replacing of the plastic roofing and brick sheets as nothing will make it stick to anything for long! The Nissen hut has a rounded 'corrugated iron' roof which is lovely but I am beginning to think I might do better making my own! I have done that with tin foil cooking dishes cut down and put through a paper crimper! We did it 5 years ago to the engine shed and it's still standing! Only trouble is it's hard to make it rounded as it flattens as you bend it!

I think I am becoming obsessed with this! I spent so long looking at the glues in Robert Dyas I think the manager thought I had a solvent problem!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:28 am

If you can think of a way bending as you go I do have some very small stainless self tappers that could be screwed into the resin using pilot holes. I could send you a few if you think it is feasible. Probably best done in conjunction with some form of glue as well.

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

Glues for polystyrene

Post by Catweasel » Fri May 16, 2014 11:35 am

I stripped the church roof off with my 95 year old mum
My mum is only 94,but I might give a go :D
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way.

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Fri May 16, 2014 7:32 pm

:laughing3: you could try might be something about the age!

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Fri May 16, 2014 7:42 pm

bazzer42:100691 wrote:If you can think of a way bending as you go I do have some very  small stainless self tappers that could be screwed into the resin using pilot holes.  I could send you a few if you think it is feasible. Probably best done in conjunction with some form of glue as well.
Thanks for the offer of the screws, most kind. Actually we have boxes if various screws stainless and otherwise mainly used for doing things on the boat! But, yes we had thought of that and I am working on it! Bought today some Evostick epoxy glue especially for plastic! Actually says on it for use with polystyrene etc! Haven't tried it yet as got to work out a plan of action for putting it together if it goes runny! Will let you know and send piccies.

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Fri May 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Yes yes yes!! The new glue has worked! Still got to do some trimming but it's on there!

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Ooh, I like that!
Just needs a coat of scruffy faded rusty green paint to finish it.
Philip