What to Do?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
witto
Cleaner
Cleaner

What to Do?

Post by witto » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Good evening one and all. I have just joined on here as I am looking for inspiration and assistance.

I am an O gauge modeller and have built exhibition layouts for the last 30 odd years in this gauge amassing a huge collection consisting of over 150 wagons, 12 coaches and 20 odd locomotives built, with another 6 or so in boxes ready to build.

Here is the dilemma...

I am lucky enough to own my home outright and have the fiancees permission to build a garden railway. We like the idea of live steam in Gauge 1, but could be swayed to go Gauge 1 electric. The garden is 45' x 28' and I do not know enough about Gauge 1 and have never operated a live steamer. I am looking to sell all my O gauge stuff to fund the new project but dont want to jump in too quick if I really should stay with O Gauge.

Sorry for the lenght of the post but thats about it. Where do I go and what do I do. I have spent many hours on the internet but dont know whos stuff to look at. I can only use my O Gauge experience.

As the title states....What to do??

I look forward to any replies.

Thank you

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

You've come to the right place for advice (though you might get rather more than you bargained for).

First off, join the 16mm Association www.16mm.org.uk because you'll get a New Member's Guide with LOTS of information in.

Second off, make contact with your Local Group of the Association, and find out what gauges their tracks are. We are a sociable lot, and you'll want to be able to run on other peoples' lines and (in due course) have them back at your place.

Third off, be aware that track power Gauge 1 is not that common in the UK, unless you're modelling Continental or American.............

My advice would be to build a short battery electric train - possibly from IP Engineering - http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/ to "get your hand in" as we model differently from the smaller scales and to have something to "play with" elsewhere.

Look at a LOT of other garden railways, consult The Boss because she'll have to live with it, too, and decide which method of construction (and there are LOTS) will suit your garden and aims for the garden railway.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

witto
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by witto » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and the info.

I think I may not have been clear enough and this is where my inexperience shows. I am looking to keep with standard gauge models and not narrow gauge ones.

I have thought about joining the G1MRA and also a visit to the Warwickshire exhibition that starts next Thursday on the Fosse Way. Do you think these are good places to start. I am a member of the Gauge O Guild and have been for many years but this is a whole new ball game.

What is the minimum radius curves I can get away with and who are the best companies to look at for rolling stock and trackwork.

Thanks again for your reply and I look forward to using this forum.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 pm

The only thing I would say is think long and hard about track power out side. With Lipo batteries and R/c being so small self powered locos work better. Also Live steam is not difficult and the rules are very simple my 10 year old has a loco and runs it under a casual eye from an adult, so don't worry. Slow running is the only issue as this takes time but adds to the fun and reason to do more of it. Thatss the limit of my experience hope it helps slightly. Exeter garden railway show soon 10th Oct.

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Firstly welcome to the nut house. The exhibition is well worth a visit, there are a lot of large scales but the G1MRA layout should be there. Most of us here are narrow gauge modelers so may not be the best help. Aster are probably the best known for live steamers in gauge one, though like 16mm scale I think it is also an area for considerable scratch builds. The best advice I can give is to chat to someone on the layout next week end, they should have all the information you need to get started.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: What to Do?

Post by rebelego » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:48 am

witto:90316 wrote:What to do??
Look through all 15 episodes of Mark Found's "The Garden Railway" available at youtube. First episode found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcMe1QKuEyQ

All episodes found here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/modelrailwaytv/videos

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Hello, and welcome!

Just a thought, but have you considered using your O stuff to make a start? If you keep the clearances and curves sufficiently generous you'll be able to up-scale later should you so choose. And loads of people have made successful garden lines in O gauge.

My first introduction to the concept of garden railways was when my Dad plonked "Duke", an O scale 0-4-4 of dubious heritage, into a flowerbed when I was about 7. I remember being concerned that the ants might get inside. I still have it and plan to run both Duke and his shedmate "Tubby" (an equally dubious 0-6-0 saddle tank somewhat questionably lettered "Southern") on my 16mm line from time to time when it's a little more complete. If I can get the track clean enough! And I find the Ixion Models Hudswell Clarke saddle tank in the model shop window very hard to resist...

Good luck with it. Do keep us posted. I think there's a tendancy for us NG types to get a little too far removed from the real thing for our own good, so it'd be nice to have an SG perspective too...

All the best,

Andrew.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm a firm narrow gauge 16mm/ft chap and my experience of Gauge 1 standard gauge is limited to watching the brilliant 'Anglia Roads' layout that I've seen numerous times at The Southwold Model Railway exhibition.  There it is run in a marquee outside.
If you do nothing else, you should spend some time looking at the Gauge 1 Model Railway Association website where the video section shows a number of Gauge 1 garden railways as well as indoor railways.  Also area groups are listed on the website.  If gauge 1 garden railfarers are like other garden railfarers then I'm tempted to suggest your local group would welcome you to a no obligation visit.  Like other model railway groups you will get a range of advice but at least these guys will know what you need to know.

www.g1mra.com

Good luck.
Andy
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi there!

Where abouts in North Warwickshire are you located?

Have you considered staying with o gauge and building a live steamer? If it's gauge 1 your interested in then it might also be worth a look at http://www.birminghamsme.com as we have a strong following of g1.
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Does this sort of thing appeal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqFFC4CSks

witto
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by witto » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Wow, so many useful replies and thank you to each and every one of you. I will explore the link to the Birmingham mob and see where that takes me. I have viewed lots of stuff on Youtube and got very excited. I have also seen the M Found series although it was when it was on the telly irst time round.

I think the common answer is to talk to Gauge One members and see what they can offer me by research first before taking any plunge. I have seen that some of the live steam locos run round 6' radius which is what I run my current O gauge round so releif on that note. I have not ventured my O Gauge outdoors as we only moved in the house in May and the garden looks like the somme.

I am based in Bedworth in North Warwickshire and would appreciate meeting any like minded modellers nearby.

Thanks again for all the comments and assistance, I will keep you all updated on stuff and hope to become an active member on here with piccies etc.

Thanks for now and will update regularly.

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:09 pm

You have a pm bud ;)

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:33 pm

I hope to be running at bsme on Sunday afternoon. If you fancy popping down it would be great to see you.

witto
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by witto » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks lnBmad, I appreciate the invite but unfortunately I already have plans for Sunday Pm. Shame as I would have loved to pop over.

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Not a prob. As the rain is unrelenting I also haven't make it over (workshop is much drier and warmer). Drop me a pm if you fancy meeting up at some point.

witto
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by witto » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Well a quick update...

After much research, reading etc and a very informative visit to LnBmad I am starting on the long journey into 16mm live steam modelling.

My garden is 25' x 40' and I have permission to utilise all round the outside for a continious run. I aim to utilise peco trackwork and need to think about a proper track plan. The garden is just a plain plot of land at the moment as we only moved in May.

I will join the 16mm association for the benefits this gives me and may also join the Birmingham SME group which is reasonably near to me. A visit will be planned once I am a bit further along the line.

Not sure of a name for my line yet but I am looking to base it on a narrow gauge version of a standard gauge GWR Branch line. I know, but it is my passion and I know lots about it. I have seen stock from all sorts of parentage and I will not be looking to keep it too perfect, so in time I may run Irish stock with Welsh stock but have it lettered for the good old GWR.

I am considering Roundhouse locomotives with radio contrrol as I want to do shunting as well as continious running.

Well I hope that updates you and I look forward to your comments and advice.

Thanks again to LnBmad for our most valuable input and it was great to meet you and bend your ear on Sunday.

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Was truly a pleasure to meet you Chris! Plans look good. Look forward to our next chat