Ossie Cylinders

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Jonnyb
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Ossie Cylinders

Post by Jonnyb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:14 pm

Have been trying to sort out some of the bits on my collins pixie, having sucessfully raised pressure and not melted the paintwork, I have a few steam leaks.

Main ones are from the cylinders against the steam chest (not sure if this is the right term) but basically between the wobberly bit and the fixed bit.

I assume there isnt supposed to be anything inbetween the two and the faces probally just need cleaning up. Is the best way just with a bit of wet and dry sandpaper (2500 grit?)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:19 pm

I've heard of guys dressing up port faces with some gritty tooth-paste on a piece of glass. That way it's absolutely flat, and doesn't remove much material. Is it a new engine? Maybe it just wants a good break-in period.

Jonnyb
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Jonnyb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks, might try some wet and dry on top of some glass.

Circa 1987 I think, so yeah pretty old.

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Use autosol chrome polish.
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I would use brasso on glass.I would think wet and dry to course you wont to polish it.One way of checking that you have got it flat is to cover it in permanent ink then the brasso and glass,if there's any ink left it will be in a Lowe spot.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 am

If it's that old, and there isn't any foreign substance in between the cylinder and the port face, perhaps the trunnion springs have lost their temper and aren't as "springy" as they used to be? It doesn't seem to me that after 24 years the port faces would need lapping, but I'm new, I might not know any better.

Jonnyb
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Jonnyb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 am

Not sure, will have to take them apart and investigate. This week is a write off though as ive got an exam for work on friday and have lots of work to do :(

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:39 am

Try a coating of oil on the faces and stronger springs if possible or restore the springs by giving them a small stretch before refitting.

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 am

Hi,
It is possible that it is not the port faces that are worn. Sometimes if either the crank pin or the trunnion pin on the cylinder block aren't square as the cylinder oscilates it gets lifted of the port face so letting steam escape. Also the crank shaft not being at right angles to the port face can have the same effect. Try rotating the crank shaft by hand and see if the cylinder stays on its port face.
Regards Tony.

Jonnyb
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Jonnyb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Tony Bird:49205 wrote:Hi,
It is possible that it is not the port faces that are worn. Sometimes if either the crank pin or the trunnion pin on the cylinder block aren't square as the cylinder oscilates it gets lifted of the port face so letting steam escape.  Also the crank shaft not being at right angles to the port face can have the same effect. Try rotating the crank shaft by hand and see if the cylinder stays on its port face.
Regards Tony.
Thanks I shall have a look - thats some great info that i hadnt thought of